Iron Gates on the Danube - Does sailing direction matter?

beesKate

I am interested in knowing this as well as we would like to do this cruise in the future. 

I've spent time in Budapest and Bucharest, and traveled through Romania, and I can say that a pre-cruise in Transylvania or the Danube Delta would be delightful, so one point for Bucharest to Budapest.  A two or three day stay in Budapest post cruise would be nice too.

I also know from experience that it's easier to fly home to North America from Budapest.  When we flew home from Bucharest, it was three flights and an overnight along the way, depending on the time of year.  Budapest will have nonstops to North America.  I might look at flight schedules before I booked, and let that drive my decision, because it's different depending on where you live and the time of year.

People also say that you can actually see the progression of Westernization traveling from Bucharest to Budapest if that matters to you.

We did it going down river with GCT several years ago.  I wouldn't think it would matter from a scenic point of view.  It was our first river cruise; and, felt very exotic at the time (and, would probably still be so).  GCT trips always include a home visit, so we enjoyed a full home-prepared meal with a family in Croatia, including home-made wine.  The river trip ending by entering the Black Sea, one night on the ship at Constanta, and two nights in Bucharest in a very modern hotel.  In fact the bathroom facility was "too Modern" as is sometimes experienced, so that shower water is not contained in the shower, and a dangerous "water feature" in the lobby that had to be roped off due to several persons falling into it.