Flight time question

mbr_33

Am I crazy to book a 10:40am flight from Rome to NY-JFK after disembarkation? We want to fly non-stop & are having difficulty finding afternoon flight availability for the category of cabin that we want. Considered staying overnight by the airport and catching morning flight the following day, so that we're not so time-pressured, but my husband isn't able to take any more time off from work. Is this too risky or can it be done?

The better solution would be to take a tour ending at the Hilton Rome Airport,  and take the flight the next day. But a little reading around the board would reveal it is possible to make your flight that day. However,  you give us no info on what ship you are on, when it is scheduled to or arrive,  or any related info. That would be critical to us giving an reasoned reply.

You would, for example,  need to off your ship pretty early, and have private transportation arrangements made, and waiting.  It is going to need to be seamless. 

Then there is the not uncommon problem of schedule change to an earlier departure. The next reason to take the flight the next day.

We flew out of Rome in 2015 when Terminal 3 was closed due to the fire and had no problems making an 11am flight.  We had done online check-in the day before, carried our luggage off the ship in the morning and had a shuttle booked for 7am.  

Check with your airline to find out how early they recommend arriving.  Some airlines suggest 2 hours but others do suggest 3.  The last couples times we've flown out of Europe 2 hours was plenty of time (flying to Canada, not the US).

Last month out of Rome  immigration computers were down adding nearly an hour to the process.  And this was also a flight to Canada via London.   Sometimes you can be lucky and everything works,  but is it worth the risk to cut it so fine?  I guess you ask yourself can I afford to pay for a last minute flight if I miss mine?

We were also in Italy,  the day of the Rome fire and all internal flights were cancelled.   We ended up scrambling as our flights were through Rome.   We ended up spending well over 1000$ on Ryanair of all things to go direct for a domestic  flight.   Thank goodness for insurance when things go awry.

Edited by bennybear