QV 4th November Canaries Cruise -thoughts

siforest65

Got off the ship yesterday and missing it already. Some random ramblings.

Our 4th Cunard cruise with this being the longest cruise having done a Fjords 7 nighter plus two very short cruises previously.

Cunard are excellent and 99.9% of the time they get things right. However when they get it wrong they do seem to struggle in the service recovery department.

We have just turned 50 so probably in the lower end of the age range. Love the old school attitude on there. Held the lift doors open countless times and received thanks. Small thing but it gives a good atmosphere.

Found the Queens Room floor quite intimidating for the ballroom events. Me and the wife have had lessons previously but I literally do have 2 left feet. Did the waltz lesson on the first sea day and we struggled so never retuned. My wife had a chat with the dance pros and they said their 5 year old kids could master that dance. 

The party nights in the Queens Room were brilliant especially on the last evening. No inhibitions about dancing then. Cunard do last nights well but I wish they would do that more. Probably a bit controversial because their ballroom ambience does set them apart from the rest.

If you go onboard with an open mind and chat to everyone who is prepared to engage, then you can meet some people with wonderful cruise experience not just of Cunard but other cruise lines.

Loved the pre dinner ambience in the various bars throughout the ship. We were on later sitting and it worked for us.

Already looking forward to getting back on board next April.

Thanks for reading these random thoughts.

• Like 2

I've competed in ballroom dancing for 20 odd years. The pro is incredibly ignorant to imply anyone can waltz - its one of the hardest dances to do well - if they said that about sequence or rhythm foxtrot I'd agree - but not waltz 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lissie said:

I've competed in ballroom dancing for 20 odd years. The pro is incredibly ignorant to imply anyone can waltz - its one of the hardest dances to do well - if they said that about sequence or rhythm foxtrot I'd agree - but not waltz 

I’ve concluded that the wonderful Cunard ballrooms are like Wembley to me. Will always watch and can’t set foot onto the hallowed turf. Yacht club is more my standard 😉

I do love those ballrooms though and hope the fourth Queen embraces their designs.

1 hour ago, siforest65 said:

I’ve concluded that the wonderful Cunard ballrooms are like Wembley to me. Will always watch and can’t set foot onto the hallowed turf. Yacht club is more my standard 😉

I do love those ballrooms though and hope the fourth Queen embraces their designs.

Its the main reason we chose Cunard - we could have gone Princess or P&O for a very similar itnerary (and price somewhat to my surprise).  We've danced (in the breaks) at Blackpool - so I suspect we will be OK on QE - so long as I can get on top of my sea sickness 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, lissie said:

There is a difference between social waltz and slow waltz. Social waltz is generally quite easy to learn and a set of simple basic figures will get a couple round the floor. Learning to dance the slow waltz with full swing step action on the other hand takes a lot more time to learn and dance well. Perhaps in this case it was the social waltz that we being referred to?

• Like 1