Low-sodium on the Eurodam

NGBG

I have often found cruise food to be too salty. Has anyone found this to be the case on the Eurodam?

If I want low-sodium meals, would I have to order them the evening before, or are there options on the menu?

I've also been told that ships' drinking water has a relatively high sodium content. Anyone know if this is so?

Thx.

I am on a lo sodium diet and ordered the night before.  This was on the Amsterdam. and the meals when arriving were definitely low sodium.  Yes, I agree, often food off the menu has a high salt content.  I was really pleased with the meal service provided me.  🤤

Marianne

39 minutes ago, NGBG said:

I have often found cruise food to be too salty. Has anyone found this to be the case on the Eurodam?

If I want low-sodium meals, would I have to order them the evening before, or are there options on the menu?

I've also been told that ships' drinking water has a relatively high sodium content. Anyone know if this is so?

Thx.

Ship's drinking water is processed the same as most bottled waters, reverse osmosis and filtered.  I'm not sure what sodium content it has (if any).

If you require a strict low-sodium diet, you should let HAL know.  And discuss it with your server once onboard.  They will work with you.

Thanks, Shmoo,

Did a bit of googling after posting and found that most people agree that it's the food, not the water, that's the culprit.

Glad, because I'm not a great fan of bottled water - would rather refill my own bottle.

Last cruise, just ordering dinner entrees the night before and avoiding soups worked. I'll do the same this time.

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

8 hours ago, Marianne said:

I am on a lo sodium diet and ordered the night before.  This was on the Amsterdam. and the meals when arriving were definitely low sodium.  Yes, I agree, often food off the menu has a high salt content.  I was really pleased with the meal service provided me.  🤤

Marianne

Marianne,

Was this just for dinner in the MDR?

What about specialty restaurants? 

I just ordered dinner the night before, but I did eat breakfast in the MDR also.  But I don't eat much for breakfast, all I want usually is a cold cereal and a cinnamon roll.  But if I ordered eggs, I just told them 'lo salt, and I was never disappointed.

We ate in the Pinnacle quite a few times, again I just told them when ordering for 'lo salt' ;   the meals were always delivered as requested.  I only ate Italian once but was in a group, actually I don't recall specifically what I ordered, but it must have been okay.   Just tell the waiter in the MDR at time of order you are on low salt, I don't think you'll have a problem.  

I usually lunched in the Lido and had the guys build a san for me;  I chose the bread and a slice of meat, which was never salty.  BTW they have great ice cream, also the bread pudding.

Have fun dining --- I always found something I enjoyed ---   😂

Marianne