Disembarkation Prior to Final Destination

reverie4401

We are considering our first cruise with Viking Ocean on a TransAtlantic cruise from San Juan to Barcelona in March.  In the past, on another cruise line, we have left the cruise in Cadiz, Spain prior to final destination in Barcelona.  Does Viking Ocean allow early disembarkation and if so what is the procedure?  

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Agreed. This is one that Viking needs to answer for themselves. It might not be as simple an answer as our anecdotes might imply. 

I agree. Viking should be able to help. Personally, once on board, I’d be fine to never disembark...hahaha. 
seriously, you should ask Viking-Jeannette😌

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

We are leaving a Viking river cruise a day early and were told that we required the permission of the port authority.  They also said that it was rare for it to be denied.  Viking took care of it for us and we have the required approval.

Thanks.  I have a request in to Viking to see the procedure for Viking Ocean.  I will report back when and if I get a response.  David

5 hours ago, reverie4401 said:

Thanks.  I have a request in to Viking to see the procedure for Viking Ocean.  I will report back when and if I get a response.  David

Viking responded that it was OK to end the cruise early.  However, their air program would not be available for the trip from Spain back to the US. Additionally, there would be no reduction in the cruise fare.  I know there is still an immigration issue in leaving the ship early.

I know that Cadiz has immigration officials.  I am not sure about Valencia.  So, clearly we could jump ship in Cadiz.   David

2 hours ago, reverie4401 said:

I know that Cadiz has immigration officials.  I am not sure about Valencia.  So, clearly we could jump ship in Cadiz

If Cadiz is your first port of entry to the Shengen Zone, you won't go through passport control again in either Valencia or Barcelona. But, you may have to make sure that you get an entry stamp on Cadiz. 

On 11/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, reverie4401 said:

We are considering our first cruise with Viking Ocean on a TransAtlantic cruise from San Juan to Barcelona in March.  In the past, on another cruise line, we have left the cruise in Cadiz, Spain prior to final destination in Barcelona.  Does Viking Ocean allow early disembarkation and if so what is the procedure?  

I got off in Cadiz ( instead of Barcelona) last year on that TA cruise and yes, any time you want to deviate from a cruise lines scheduled itinerary ( getting off a day or two early or doing an overland trip and then getting back on board in a different port )  you must have permission from the cruise line who checks with the port authority . Although it is rare, not every cruise port has immigration facilities  .  Never just take the word of a reservations agent, but get it in writing.  When I got off in Cadiz, I had to turn in my passport the night before so that someone from the ship could  get things cleared with the  Cadiz port authority first thing in the morning.  I think that I collected my passport around 9 am as I had to catch a train around 10am. Since you have done this before, I am sure that you know you need to do your own luggage . It was a very easy process and only Viking was confused because it was just me getting off and not my husband too ; the staff kept asking him where I was 😉

• Like 1