Better late than never.

It's taken a week to get our NBN cable fixed after finding they cut our cable while installing a new replacement pit out the front of our place while we were away cruising, so better late than never.

Got back a week ago from 14 nights on the Ruby Princess to Fiji, plenty of room on the ship except in the shower which is the smallest we have encountered so far. Staff were great as usual, food in the buffet was pretty good and they managed to get the American Bacon crisp as it should be, English bacon on request but don't bother.

. A reasonable variety of food and they were not shy on offering plenty of smoked salmon for the bagels. Dining room food was good but not quite as good as some we have had, must admit we are talking about fine degrees of "Good"without any complaint at all.

We had a balcony breakfast as part of the deal and it was only the final plate of pastries that stumped us, could hardly walk for the following hour, excellent.

Word about the increased wine prices must have spread as the poor staff at the wine check in table were overwhelmed. Lets face it, two to two and a half times bottle shop prices I will wear, but the cheapest bottle of wine was $43.00 and the cheapest Shiraz at $54.00 for a $17.00 Dan Murphy price is over the top for me. I took a dozen Shiraz that DM sells for $16.00, and I buy for $8.55 due to volume. My petty revenge came in the form of a $72.00 bottle of Barolo compliments of a $73.00 wine voucher that was part of my deal.

Julie the Barolo was very nice, but not as heavy as most, it was more like a very good Pinot Noir.

4 pools available, with the Spa pool at the pointy end adults only, by the low numbers I think most passengers thought it was part of the Spa complex and they had to pay. The Main Theatre was way too small for the number the ship can carry, you had to be pretty slick to get a seat.

Overall a great trip, particularly at the Great Yellow Building in Vila (which is being renovated at the moment) Absolut Vodka 1L for $14.00 !!!!!!!! It's about $60.00 on special here normally.

Our second cruise to Fiji, will we go again, YEP!

Edited by Russell21

10 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

It's taken a week to get our NBN cable fixed after finding they cut our cable while installing a new replacement pit out the front of our place while we were away cruising, so better late than never.

Got back a week ago from 14 nights on the Ruby Princess to Fiji, plenty of room on the ship except in the shower which is the smallest we have encountered so far. Staff were great as usual, food in the buffet was pretty good and they managed to get the American Bacon crisp as it should be, English bacon on request but don't bother.

. A reasonable variety of food and they were not shy on offering plenty of smoked salmon for the bagels. Dining room food was good but not quite as good as some we have had, must admit we are talking about fine degrees of "Good"without any complaint at all.

We had a balcony breakfast as part of the deal and it was only the final plate of pastries that stumped us, could hardly walk for the following hour, excellent.

Word about the increased wine prices must have spread as the poor staff at the wine check in table were overwhelmed. Lets face it, two to two and a half times bottle shop prices I will wear, but the cheapest bottle of wine was $43.00 and the cheapest Shiraz at $54.00 for a $17.00 Dan Murphy price is over the top for me. I took a dozen Shiraz that DM sells for $16.00, and I buy for $8.55 due to volume. My petty revenge came in the form of a $72.00 bottle of Barolo compliments of a $73.00 wine voucher that was part of my deal.

Julie the Barolo was very nice, but not as heavy as most, it was more like a very good Pinot Noir.

4 pools available, with the Spa pool at the pointy end adults only, by the low numbers I think most passengers thought it was part of the Spa complex and they had to pay. The Main Theatre was way too small for the number the ship can carry, you had to be pretty slick to get a seat.

Overall a great trip, particularly at the Great Yellow Building in Vila (which is being renovated at the moment) Absolut Vodka 1L for $14.00 !!!!!!!! It's about $60.00 on special here normally.

Our second cruise to Fiji, will we go again, YEP!

Thanks for the excellent report. Mind saying which Shiraz you selected from DM for $16.00 ($8.55 to you...and how you'd get that?)...and would you still recommend it after having it 12 times. 

Modernmind, the Shiraz was Fifth leg from Devils Lair Winery in Margaret River Western Australia. Usually around the $16 mark, sharp eyes will see it very occasionally for $10 on special. I'm a long term customer of Winemarket, usually buying in lots of 3 dozen, and some extra special "Specials" are offered now and then.

12 times? Over the years it is many more than that :-)

BTW currently $18.00 at 1st Choice.

• Like 1

Thanks for a terrific post, Russell21. We’re doing this same cruise on the Ruby in January. We did a 14 nighter to Fiji on the Diamond a few years ago and loved it.

How many bottles of red did you bring on board and how did you carry it all? We’re flying from Melbourne and would have to carry our wine from home. We enjoy a particularly nice cleanskin from DM and buy it by the case. Would love to take that on board instead of paying the exorbitant prices they charge.

PS... We ALWAYS visit the yellow building whenever we’re in Vila. I must look for the cheap Absolut

Good to hear you were able to try the Barolo. Yes, it's a lighter wine - many nebbiolos are -and, yes, it is similar to some Pinot Noirs which is probably why I like it so much. 😁

We board Ruby next Thursday for a short cruise to New Caledonia. Hope there is still some Barolo left onboard!

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

by the low numbers I think most passengers thought it was part of the Spa complex and they had to pay. The Main Theatre was way too small for the number the ship can carry, you had to be pretty slick to get a seat.

I was on that same cruise. I think a lot of passengers are under the impression that the Lotus Spa pool is part of the Sanctuary. Speaking of which I did not see a single person use in the entire two weeks.

In the theatre you needed to turn up at least 45 minutes early to get a decent seat. Latecomers would have to try to wiggle their way into the leftover central seats. It always amazes me that the already seated people never just shuffle along.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Absolut Vodka 1L for $14.00 !!!!!!!!

How did you get it for $14? I had to pay $16!!!!!!

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I was on that same cruise. I think a lot of passengers are under the impression that the Lotus Spa pool is part of the Sanctuary. Speaking of which I did not see a single person use in the entire two weeks.

It's the same on any of the other ships that have the Lotus Spa Pool up forward. Some people think it's part of the Spa, some people think it's part of the Sanctuary even though the Sanctuary is on the deck above, many people don't even know it's there, and some people don't like it because it's semi-enclosed. 

Princess pools aren't heated so it may have been too cool. We love that pool and are looking forward to swimming in it next week if it's warm enough.

13 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

In the theatre you needed to turn up at least 45 minutes early to get a decent seat. Latecomers would have to try to wiggle their way into the leftover central seats. It always amazes me that the already seated people never just shuffle along.

How did you get it for $14? I had to pay $16!!!!!!

Get there early, if there is a rush on a particular product they know they are way cheaper than the ship, in this case the ship was charging $28.00/L.

You must have been there at the wrong times, it didn't open until !0.00AM, and we were in it every day but the first sea day, as were several others.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's the same on any of the other ships that have the Lotus Spa Pool up forward. Some people think it's part of the Spa, some people think it's part of the Sanctuary even though the Sanctuary is on the deck above, many people don't even know it's there, and some people don't like it because it's semi-enclosed. 

Princess pools aren't heated so it may have been too cool. We love that pool and are looking forward to swimming in it next week if it's warm enough.

Walk forward to the front elevators and go to deck 16, this will save you a climb. there are two heated pools at one end of the main pool, usually quite warm.

18 hours ago, Malgit said:

Thanks for a terrific post, Russell21. We’re doing this same cruise on the Ruby in January. We did a 14 nighter to Fiji on the Diamond a few years ago and loved it.

How many bottles of red did you bring on board and how did you carry it all? We’re flying from Melbourne and would have to carry our wine from home. We enjoy a particularly nice cleanskin from DM and buy it by the case. Would love to take that on board instead of paying the exorbitant prices they charge.

PS... We ALWAYS visit the yellow building whenever we’re in Vila. I must look for the cheap Absolut

Took 12 bottles of red aboard on a fold up trolley from ebay cost about 35 bucks.

6 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Walk forward to the front elevators and go to deck 16, this will save you a climb. there are two heated pools at one end of the main pool, usually quite warm.

Yes, that's the best way to get to the Lotus Spa pool but it's also why people think it's part of the Spa as you have to go past the Spa reception desk. 

I prefer to keep away from the main pool area, too crowded and noisy for me.

18 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

He asked how many bottles I took on board and how did I carry them, I answered him including the price of the trolley, or are you just trying to wind me up?

It was meant as a lighthearted remark relating the cost of a $3 bottle of plonk to the cost of corkage. Made because your reply sounded a bit as if you paid $35 on ebay for 12 bottles of red. No need to get aggro over it.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

14 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It was meant as a lighthearted remark relating the cost of a $3 bottle of plonk to the cost of corkage. Made because your reply sounded a bit as if you paid $35 on ebay for 12 bottles of red. No need to get aggro over it.

No agro intended, was just wondering if you were a shirt stirrer or just a nit picker over my having omitted a word from my reply. As in ".......trolley from ebay THAT cost..."