Let's Do Another: What Are You Reading?

tuggers

I have a bad habit of being in the process of reading one book, and then I come across another that I can't wait to start, so I start reading it, too. And then another... and another.

Usually, I'm reading 10 books at the same time. I'll read anywhere from 4 to 10 pages of one, and then pick up the next. If I'm near the end of a really good one, I'll read the last 50-100 pages non-stop.

My current list, which is a little more "literary" than usual consists of:

1.John Irving "Until I Find You"

2.Tom Wolfe "I am Charlotte Simmons"

3.T. Correghessan Boyle "Drop City"

4.John Updike "Villages"

5.Calvin Trillin "Feeding a Yen" (a foodie book involving travel in search of food)

6.John Barth "Coming Soon"

7.A. J. Jacobs "The Know it All" (by a man who has read every word in The Encyclopoedia Brittanica")

8."The Interior Design Atlas" published by Konemann the European publisher which did the Culinaria series of beautiful cookbooks for different parts of the world

9.Ann Vanderhoof "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" Another one along this line is "A Trip to the Beach" by Bob and Melissa Blanchard, where they describe moving to Anguilla and setting up a restaurant.

10. "Keeping Life Simple" by Karen Levine

Usually, my stack is a lot more frivolous, and I'm eagerly awaiting the new books by Robert Ferrigno, Tim Dorsey, T. Jefferson Parker, Robert Crais, and John Dunning.

I also read everything I can find by Lawrence Block, Harlan Coben, James Lee Burke, Carl Hiaasen, James W. Hall, Tom Corcoran, Dennis Lehane, Michael Connelly, and The Archy McNally series by Lawrence Sanders/Vincent Lardo.

Allen

The Known World by Edward P. Jones for bookclub (black history month)

Nightingales--The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Florence Nightingale by Gillian Gill (Florence is a hero of mine)

The Constant Princess by Phillippa Gregory (her newest and I love them all!!)

I love these threads--thanks

I was just at Sam's and picked up 'Hoot' and looked at it but didn't buy it. I think I'll go back the weekend and get it.

Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, Jimmy Buffett has already produced and filmed the movie version of Hoot and it will be out later this year.

Team Rodent is a book Hiaason wrote about Disney. Different but a good read.

"Path Between The Seas: Creation Of The Panama Canal" by David McCullough. It's a long one but very interesting so far, and just what I need before my Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy in March - hopefully I'll finish it by then! I've heard that the author has been or will be a guest speaker for Celebrity's lecture series.

Usually' date=' my stack is a lot more frivolous, and I'm eagerly awaiting the new books by Robert Ferrigno, Tim Dorsey, T. Jefferson Parker, Robert Crais, and John Dunning.[/quote']Oh no! What did Dorsey do this time? Are we to expect "Son of Serge"? He is one WARPED writer! He's so far beyond "frivolous" as to be almost scary.

I got such a chuckle out of reading his Key West escapades while sitting out on the back of the Constellation in Key West, waiting for sail away!

Recommended site:

http://timdorsey.com/home.html

Never mind -- just found The Big Bamboo there. We'll have to wait until 3/26/06.

I got such a chuckle out of reading his Key West escapades while sitting out on the back of the Constellation in Key West, waiting for sail away!

During the 90s, we spent a week in Key West on seven different occasions, which makes me particularly fond of Key West-oriented mysteries, because I can visualize almost every place they mention.

Tom Corcoran's mysteries are set in Key West, as are Laurence Shames's. John Leslie did a series a few years back which are also set in Key West, and several of James W. Hall's books have Key West featured in them. And Mile Zero, by Thomas Sanchez, and a couple of Thomas McGuane's.

It's a fascinating locale.

Allen

I am a Dean Koontz, Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Richard North Patterson and Jude Deveraux fan. I have saved Pattersons book Conviction and Deveraux's book Carolina Isle to read on the cruise. Am hoping Clancy comes out with another one before then. I too save and read my favorite authors. I have read James Patterson he was ok Nora Roberts is good and I do like Sandra Brown but haven't read a lot of these last ones.I also like John Sanford a lot especially his prey series. Does anyone have any other suggestions for authors?

I'm one of those who also picks up and reads multiple books at once - so I've got a bit of a list :-)

Trinity - Leon Uris (great for anyone interested in Irish history)

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell - Sussana Clark (kind of like an adult's Harry Poter)

How not to Live Abroad - Shaun Briley (hillarious book about two 20 year olds living in Spain)

The Coffee Trader - David Liss (interesting theory on how coffee came to Holland)

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult (a very interesting question about family loyalty and responsibility... how much is too much?)

I can wholeheartedly reccommend all of these books. The subject matter is pretty diverse so all titles may not appeal to all readers - so if you liked one of my suggestions, you may not like the rest.

Thanks to everyone for adding their picks - some of the books above came from reccommendations from another thread. I always am looking for new and good books!

Happy Sailing!

Hi

very interessting to see what you all are reading. Best think to read while cruising, Cova Cafe, on deck, aft or front of the ship, never near the pool. Or even on the balcony. Right now I finished Martha Grimes- The blue Last, love the books of hers. I also read Anne Perry, Agatha Christie ( I repeat them sometimes) Ellisabeth George. I read german or english ( american) books. Stuart Woods is okay, too.

Also read the Devil of the deep blue Seas- very interessting!

The next I buy it this ChesterH - When is the midnight buffet. Try to find it via internet.

Greetings to all

Michael

Thanks for starting this thread. I love getting new ideas!

I am reading the series by Kathy Reichs -- it is excellent. I find these to be more suspenseful than the Patricia Cornwall/Kay Scarpetta books. The first book in the series is "Deja Dead". The t.v. series "Bones" is also based on Kathy. http://www.kathyreichs.com.

Also, anything by Lee Child is excellent. His character, Jack Reacher, is a drifter who was formerly a career army Major. I would recommend reading this series in order, the first book is "Killing Floor". http://www.leechild.com.

I also love anything by Harlan Coben and the Tim Cockney books recommended by Tugger are very light reads and quite funny.

Thanks again -- keep the recommendations coming!

If you like crime thriller, Michael Connelly's books are great. He has a continuing character, Harry Bosch, with other continuing characters mentioned in other books. I went back to his first book, Black Ice, and read them in order to watch the character development over the series. He has an earlier one, Black Echo, but I cannot seem to find it at the library whenever I look.

I am also a huge fan of Greg Isles and John Sanford, particularly his Prey series. Am anxiously awaiting new books from all of these authors.

Currently I'm re-reading The DaVinci Code (since the movie comes out this summer)

I just got finished reading The Calhoun's series by Nora Roberts......

I have Nicholas Sparks' new book ready to start reading as well as a few LuAnn Rice books and a few Debbie Macomber books.

I like to read just about anything honestly.

I'm one of those who also picks up and reads multiple books at once - so I've got a bit of a list :-)

Trinity - Leon Uris (great for anyone interested in Irish history)

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell - Sussana Clark (kind of like an adult's Harry Poter)

How not to Live Abroad - Shaun Briley (hillarious book about two 20 year olds living in Spain)

The Coffee Trader - David Liss (interesting theory on how coffee came to Holland)

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult (a very interesting question about family loyalty and responsibility... how much is too much?)

I can wholeheartedly reccommend all of these books. The subject matter is pretty diverse so all titles may not appeal to all readers - so if you liked one of my suggestions' date=' you may not like the rest.

Thanks to everyone for adding their picks - some of the books above came from reccommendations from another thread. I always am looking for new and good books!

Happy Sailing![/quote']

If you enjoyed "My Sister's Keeper", read "The Pact", also by Jodi Picoult.

Archived