Extra OBC right before the cruise

zitsky

I was in the planner and noticed we were given extra Onboard Credit Available $140.50 USD.  Is this typical?  Well I used it to upgrade our drink package from Classic to Premium.  I only paid $27.50 after the credit.  (7 day cruise)

Had you previously used any onboard credit to pre-book anything?  If so, make sure none of your items were cancelled on you. When they cancel an item, the OBC used is automatically credited back. Otherwise, no, it is highly uncommon for them to randomly add additional credit without a reason.

9 minutes ago, slei15 said:

Had you previously used any onboard credit to pre-book anything?  If so, make sure none of your items were cancelled on you. When they cancel an item, the OBC used is automatically credited back. Otherwise, no, it is highly uncommon for them to randomly add additional credit without a reason.

Yes I've used OBC.  No nothing appears to be canceled.  Just looks like a promotion / ad.  It popped up last time I logged on.  Didn't manage to take a screenshot.

Maybe I am a VIP and didn't know it.  🙂

That is an odd amount, so doubtful to be related to a promotion. It is also too large amount to be because of a change in taxes/port fees. It looks like you posted recently about changing a shore excursion - was it one you booked through X? If so the amount may be related to a refund from the excursion you cancelled. If so, there will probably be a separate charge for the excursion you switched to, assuming that is also with X (see if you have any pending charges or confirmed charges on your credit card).

@Gonzo70 I see your point and think you could be right.  I probably "paid" for the canceled excursion with OBC and got the same credit back when I canceled it.

Is there tax on excursions?  The total isn't quite right.  Or maybe the price has changed since I booked the original excursion.

Anyway I will keep things as they are for now.  I was thinking to upgrade the drink package anyway.  This just gave me an excuse to do it.

The more OBC you use pre-cruise, the more of your cash they get onboard when you decide to spend money on the ship!! I always leave myself enough OBC to cover items I know I will do on the ship that I can't do with OBC in advance (ie grats for the 3rd and 4th passengers, shopping for Grey Goose if I am running low at home).

40 minutes ago, slei15 said:

The more OBC you use pre-cruise, the more of your cash they get onboard when you decide to spend money on the ship!! I always leave myself enough OBC to cover items I know I will do on the ship that I can't do with OBC in advance (ie grats for the 3rd and 4th passengers, shopping for Grey Goose if I am running low at home).

That's true.  I used up my OBC on excursions and now this drink package upgrade.