Question on Coke Package - Tips?

Maybe I am missing something, but we will be on Harmony next year (trying RCCL again for the second time - our first, Serenade, was a bit of a disaster, so we are hoping this is better!).  We purchased a coke package on Black Friday with the discount, but I did notice that they charge gratuities.  My understanding is that for all sodas, you would get them from the Freestyle machines.  So, are we tipping the machines or, can you still get them from bars, etc...?

6 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how different this will be!  We are mainly used to DCL and Princess...

It isn't that different from DCL, except instead of going to the drink station and getting small paper cups you would go to where the freestyle machines are and use the reusable cup that will be left in your stateroom. I bring a small squeeze bottle of dish soap to wash out the cup in the evening (some people use the soap from the shower) otherwise just rinse it out when I am in the cabin. If you get a soda with your meals or at the bar you just give them your seapass card and they will get you a fountain soda/soda from the gun. Those choices will be more limited than the freestyle machines.

4 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

It isn't that different from DCL, except instead of going to the drink station and getting small paper cups you would go to where the freestyle machines are and use the reusable cup that will be left in your stateroom. I bring a small squeeze bottle of dish soap to wash out the cup in the evening (some people use the soap from the shower) otherwise just rinse it out when I am in the cabin. If you get a soda with your meals or at the bar you just give them your seapass card and they will get you a fountain soda/soda from the gun. Those choices will be more limited than the freestyle machines.

Princess gives you a tumbler as well, they just don't have the freestyle machines, so the bar staff fills from the gun.  One thing that Princess will let you do is that if I bring a Yeti, etc, they'll fill that up if I want (on DCL, I just use the paper cups and transfer to my Yeti 🙂 )

3 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Princess gives you a tumbler as well, they just don't have the freestyle machines, so the bar staff fills from the gun.  One thing that Princess will let you do is that if I bring a Yeti, etc, they'll fill that up if I want (on DCL, I just use the paper cups and transfer to my Yeti 🙂 )

So, it sounds like Royal is a combo with the bonus of the freestyle machines. I find the tumbler from Royal to be similar to a tervis tumble as far as insulation goes. I don't like it as well as my Yeti or simple human cups but it is okay. Since we generally do a split vacation of a cruise and land trip we tend to just bring a reusable water bottle and leave the tumbler style cups at home to ease up a bit on the luggage where we can. 

Didn't see this addressed, so sorry if I am repeating. Regarding tips, its not an individual, 'per drink' thing. You pay the daily rate plus 18% charged to your account. Getting sodas from a bar/restaurant, just flash the card with the package sticker and they fill you up, either in the provided tumbler or a glass from the bar. I do occasionally tip a buck for a soda and they are surprised and appreciative, and always remember you next time you come up.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:16 AM, bmc alabama said:

One thing that Princess will let you do is that if I bring a Yeti, etc, they'll fill that up if I want (on DCL, I just use the paper cups and transfer to my Yeti 🙂 )

I fill my yeti form the freestyle machines all the time.

it just take a little preplanning and well placed stomp on the provided cup

• Like 1