Marella ' Virgin'

We are about to take our 1st cruise on Explorer, we have done many cruises on Celebrity which we love including the Galaxy many years ago before it became Explorer. We are in 9212 has anyone experienced any noise issues in this cabin, also, what comparisons with Celebrity will we notice, good and bad? Many thanks.

We were in 9242  which is ten doors away-from 9212 in April this year and the noise and vibration when the ship was berthing in the mornings was horrendous. One announcement over the tannoy said there was a mechanical problem so it may have been fixed by now. If not take good ear plugs or arrange a move toward the front of the ship.

Sorry to be the bearer of not so good news. Everything else on the ship is pretty good.

keep well.

Difficult for me to give a constructive comment as only ever cruised with Thomson/Marella but what do people think is missing which could be improved with a new build ship, the only reason, I think, that I would switch is that in 2021 Marella are no longer sailing from the UK which is a problem if flying is to exhausting. 🇬🇧

On 12/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, Blossom3 said:

We are about to take our 1st cruise on Explorer, we have done many cruises on Celebrity which we love including the Galaxy many years ago before it became Explorer. We are in 9212 has anyone experienced any noise issues in this cabin, also, what comparisons with Celebrity will we notice, good and bad? Many thanks.

We were on Explorer for the first time in November and surprisingly met up with some ex-neighbours. While catching up they said had previously been on Galaxy several times but hardly recognised it now it was Explorer. So Marella must have given it a workover!

On 12/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, Blossom3 said:

Following this post as we are in the same situation going on our first Marella cruise in January after many Celebrity cruises. When is your cruise ? 
Rosy 

Hello everyone.

We are great fans of both Marella/Tui, and. Celebrity.

I'd suggest each company has a different feel when enjoying a holiday with them. 

In our experience, Celebrity is classier. The offering is generally of a higher standard, the food is better, the  standard AI drinks list more comprehensive and we would rate the ships a higher star rating.

Having said that, I can't say we enjoy our cruising with Celebrity any more than we do with TUI.  Celebrity seem to pitch their cruises to an international clientele. TUI, almost exclusively to Brits... That seems to result in a different 

feel of the holiday. TUI feels, to us, to be more homely/ friendly.  Celebrity feels, to us, classier, but perhaps more elitist/upmarket.  I'm not saying either is preferable, they are just different,....I'd compare TUI to a comfortable old pair of shoes, you enjoy wearing,.....Celebrity are your fancy best shoes reserved for a dinner party at your bosses house.  Both have their place in your wardrobe, you wouldn't wish to part with either pair.

If it helps, we usually choose a deluxe balcony with TUI and and 2A balcony with Celebrity. I mention this as I'd expect the choice of accommodations would influence an experience with either company.

Happy cruising.

4 hours ago, idh2019 said:

We were on Explorer for the first time in November and surprisingly met up with some ex-neighbours. While catching up they said had previously been on Galaxy several times but hardly recognised it now it was Explorer. So Marella must have given it a workover!

The major workover was when Galaxy joined TUI and became Mein Schiff 1. I understand they spent 50 million euros on refurbing the cabins and public areas. There was another less substantial makeover when it moved to Marella

22 hours ago, tartantiara said:

Following this post as we are in the same situation going on our first Marella cruise in January after many Celebrity cruises. When is your cruise ? 
Rosy 

17th January, really looking forward to it, when are you going?

20 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

Hello everyone.

We are great fans of both Marella/Tui, and. Celebrity.

I'd suggest each company has a different feel when enjoying a holiday with them. 

In our experience, Celebrity is classier. The offering is generally of a higher standard, the food is better, the  standard AI drinks list more comprehensive and we would rate the ships a higher star rating.

Having said that, I can't say we enjoy our cruising with Celebrity any more than we do with TUI.  Celebrity seem to pitch their cruises to an international clientele. TUI, almost exclusively to Brits... That seems to result in a different 

feel of the holiday. TUI feels, to us, to be more homely/ friendly.  Celebrity feels, to us, classier, but perhaps more elitist/upmarket.  I'm not saying either is preferable, they are just different,....I'd compare TUI to a comfortable old pair of shoes, you enjoy wearing,.....Celebrity are your fancy best shoes reserved for a dinner party at your bosses house.  Both have their place in your wardrobe, you wouldn't wish to part with either pair.

If it helps, we usually choose a deluxe balcony with TUI and and 2A balcony with Celebrity. I mention this as I'd expect the choice of accommodations would influence an experience with either company.

Happy cruising.

Thank you, that's really helpful. We are going with an open mind and really looking forward to it.

21 minutes ago, Blossom3 said:

17th January, really looking forward to it, when are you going?

we are going the week before you on the 10th, shame we could have compared notes 

19 minutes ago, Blossom3 said:

Thank you, that's really helpful. We are going with an open mind and really looking forward to it.

so are we, any day cruising is better than a day at home