On QM2 now (December 15-22)

MarkBearSF

Having travelled a couple of dozen times in QG, spread over four ships, I can assure you that there is no shortage of food choice at lunchtime. Even if you fancy a pizza, they will send for one. If it's sandwiches, if you can describe what you want, they'll serve it. Otherwise, there's always plenty to choose from.

The problem is that lunches are so good, we rarely make it to afternoon tea. On our last TA round trip, we didn't make it once.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:07 PM, frantic36 said:

Hi Bigmike, sorry if I confused you.

From my understanding a two-top is just a reference for tables for just two people. I am not wanting to being seated at a "Top" table 😊. I quite enjoy my husband's company at dinner but will happily chat with people sometimes during the day or, from what I have read the tables for two are quite close, so sometimes at dinner.

Julie

Yes, the tables are close enough to get to know your neighbor should you wish to. In fact, I have made life long friends of people sitting at tables for two near me. I never thought that was a problem. If you don't want to enter a conversation with some one at a near by table , you just nod hello and continue the conversation with your dining partner. No one gets upset.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, MarkBearSF said:

I just posted my review in the reviews section. Here it is.

The Queens Grill was a wonderful experience. We loved having our table for two for all meals, including breakfast and lunch. (Especially breakfast. We prefer to be served, and I’ve always felt that morning is a time for routine - it was great  having our waiter know that my husband wants coffee and tomato juice and I want pineapple juice and water, no coffee) The basic menu was mostly the same as in Britannia, but the galley in the grills serves roughly 200 versus 2000. I suspect that some portions may be slightly larger. Additionally, there is a second menu of “A la Carte Items” including such items as Tempura Prawns for a starter and main courses like Beef Wellington, Lobster Thermador, and Rack of Lamb. They also encourage off-menu ordering (with advance notice at lunch or earlier) 

Osman, the excellent Maitre d’ was always asking us if we wanted anything including caviar. I’m not a fan, but my husband is. He tried it one night and it’s not like the “old caviar” and was missing the “pop” - both textural and the expected burst of flavor. So he ordered it only once, but we saw the telltale toast racks flying around the dining room to other tables, nightly.  For my birthday, we arranged for a starter of a large plate of chilled shellfish - prawns, lobster, crab. scallops and mussels. Our main course was an impeccable Beef Wellington, carved tableside and dessert was Crepes Suzette, flamed tableside as well. In fact, there was often a regular traffic jam of carts near our table, as a couple of nearby tables were regularly ordering specials - and they love setting things on fire up there!

I have just reread your excellent review, as it has finally appeared in the reviews section. I have read many reviews that I wished were published here as well, simply so one could comment on blatant distortions of fact, which there is no way of correcting.

That is not the case at all with your review, but there is one tiny thing. Usually for dinner, I have found the menu of the day in QG to be pretty much different from the menu of the day outside the Britannia. I have no idea if this is universal on all three ships.

Happy belated birthday, Mark!

You have quite a way with words. That was a great review of your crossing. I appreciated it, since it allowed us to enjoy the QM2 again, if only vicariously. (We're next on board this December for a back-to-back crossing).

Quick question: (anyone who's been on board recently can chime in). Do you know if the 'wet area' of the spa (steam rooms and thalassotherapy pool) was open? It was closed in July, and I know the spa's due for a rehab in November.  I was wondering if that area was just closed temporarily for that one voyage, or if it's closed till the rehab.

Phil & Cliff (from the July Halifax group)

21 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Quick question: (anyone who's been on board recently can chime in). Do you know if the 'wet area' of the spa (steam rooms and thalassotherapy pool) was open? It was closed in July, and I know the spa's due for a rehab in November.  I was wondering if that area was just closed temporarily for that one voyage, or if it's closed till the rehab.

Phil & Cliff (from the July Halifax group)

Hi, just jumping into Mark's excellent review to let you know that the thermal spa (pool, steam, sauna etc) was indeed open on the 15-22 Dec Westbound...and quite an experience in the heavy swell too😄 I wasn't aware an update is planned but some refurb will definitely enhance the experience 🙂

Happy travels.

Lynne

Thanks!

I'm not sure where I read about the refurb. I think it was when I was looking at the 2020 schedule and saw 2 or 3 weeks of down time in the November QM2 schedule. There's either a press release or discussion on the refurb here on Cruise Critic. And here's a sentance from a Canyon Ranch press release:

VALENCIA, Calif., December 4, 2018 – Luxury cruise line Cunard announces Mareel Wellness & Beauty: a new spa concept developed in partnership with wellness innovator Canyon Ranch, to be rolled out across its fleet. Mareel will launch exclusively on board the newly-refurbished Queen Elizabeth this December 2018, closely followed by Queen Victoria and on flagship liner Queen Mary 2 in November 2020.

On our last trans-Atlantic spa passes were available for (as I recall) 3, 5 and 7 days. In July, there was only the 7-day pass. I'm not sure I can find enough free time to spend 7 days in the spa.

P.S. I *love* the pool in the spa, with the massage jets and the 'tubing recliners' (not sure the technical name for those!). Relaxing in the lounge, with the spa music playing and a glass of infused water is one of my favorite ways to spend some time onboard.

Edited by frankp01

That's interesting info, thank you! Seems like a great excuse (if ever one was needed) to book another TA!

I'd agree that the spa and relaxation area (especially) are fabulous. Unfortunately we only used it about 3 times despite a 7 day pass (I don't recall there being an alternative to full 7 day pass on this crossing but I may be wrong). There just aren't enough hours in the day, even with the added hour most days! I do hope they offer shorter, customer-focussed options again in the future. 

(I have now adopted 'tubing recliners' as a technical term...can't think of better😄)

Hi all, 

I'm on QM2 now. We are banging along at 24.5 knots in order to reach Southampton by Noon tomorrow. We had the Halifax stop-med evac- and then we had a long circle around in a blizzard and then a helicopter evacuation-those Canadian air-sea folks are amazing!

Seas are churning but we are steady on-we had some real rocking and rolling during this crossing-it was fab!

On another topic; the menus in Britannia have gotten bizarre-odd mixtures of selections, small to miniscule portions-some poor quality meat,very different from last Fall when I sailed Westbound to New York; Veranda lunch was excellent and Corriander was superb, Don't know what's going on.😕 All else excellent. 

• Like 1