WiFi on the Breakaway

DAKIBS

I am sure this has been talked about before, but I am unable to locate any info on it with the search feature.  We are booked on the Breakaway for February 29 to March 7 and are looking into the WiFi packages available. Was wondering if anybody else has purchased any of the packages and what is your feedback on them? Thank you so much in advance and happy sailings.

Sincerely,

David Kibitlewski

Round Lake Beach, Illinois USA

ClubLogoResize.jpg

It is satellite internet with all of the latency associated with every bit traveling 23,000 miles up to the satellite and 23,000 miles back down. Also, you are sharing one pipe with 4500 of your new friends, ship crew, and ship operations (which has priority). It is usable for email. Surfing will feel painfully show (even though the ship has cache servers to prefetch pages). The time you want to use it (on a slow sea day) is when everyone else will want to use it. 

That being said, we always take an unlimited package on multiple cruises a year. 

Since NCL stating including it as a free perk, the standard package is virtually useless. The only thing that works for me is iMessage and FaceTime.  As Bird says, surfing is painfully slow and a lot of the sites I visit wouldn’t load at all. I tried moving around the ship to get a better connection with no luck and it’s not just the Breakaway. I had the same problems on the Escape and Getaway recently.