Honolulu overnight parking for car rental

englander

18 hours ago, englander said:

Where can we park the rental car overnight?

Depending whether you are at Pier 11 or Pier 2 there are multiple places nearby both to park. They will be very expensive-- between $48-65 a night. We try not to rent a car when in Honolulu because of the heavy congestion and expensive parking and use Uber unless we are driving up to the North Shore or someplace further away where a car makes more sense. For things within Honolulu you don't need a car. 

18 hours ago, englander said:

My Celebrity cruise begins in Honolulu with an overnight 4/20/2020-4/21/2020. We want to rent a car for that time. Where can we park the rental car overnight?

Your hotel should have valet parking available, maybe pricey :classic_dry:, but just for one night....

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

Pretty sure the OP said that they are staying overnight on their ship for the first night and departing the next day. 

You are correct.  Should remember not to post in the morning while Mr. Coffee is still perking away...😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, englander said:

I was hoping a local could give me some insights...

I'm in that area of Honolulu quite a bit for work-- the area around Pier 2 you are talking about is an industrial port-- most of the parking nearby are either in office towers or hotels (which are the most expensive option). There are a handful of outdoor lots that are not sheltered. Its like parking in any other major city-- theres not some hack for it. 

Thanks, Princeton. I think not sheltered would be ok. My husband found some lots that are about a 10 min walk to the ship. Is it a safe area to walk in early evening / early morning?

What do you mean " theres not some hack for it"?

2 hours ago, englander said:

I think not sheltered would be ok.

Trees drop a lot of debris on cars parked in the open in Hawaii-- if its a rental I wouldn't really care but just tossing it out in case it matters. 

Is it a safe area to walk in early evening / early morning?

It's relatively safe. There's a large outdoor center just outside of the port area with some higher end restaurants. The stretch of road leading to the ship through the port isn't super well lit at night but it's patrolled and not dangerous. I would just keep tabs on your surroundings like in any other city. 

What do you mean " theres not some hack for it"?

Just that theres not some local that will let you park in his front lawn for $10 a night. Parking in Honolulu is just inconvenient and expensive no matter where you go. Not enough parking spots for the cars they have down in the main areas like Waikiki and the ones they have go for a significant premium. I've given up renting cars when I'm there and just use Uber-- much less expensive overall and I don't waste all the time driving up and down parking garages. 

We are wanting the car so we can go to Schofield Barracks Army base and maybe Hickam AFB. Hopefully parking there is adequate. We've done the touristy things before. 

Do you know if there's car rentals near the ship? Maybe be better just to get a car in the morning right off the ship and use it a few hours and bring it back.

10 hours ago, englander said:

We are wanting the car so we can go to Schofield Barracks Army base and maybe Hickam AFB.

Hickam is right by the airport so no need to rent a car for that and Schofield Barracks you can Uber to for $40 each way-- not sure if renting a car with parking even makes sense from a financial standpoint. 

10 hours ago, englander said:

Do you know if there's car rentals near the ship? Maybe be better just to get a car in the morning right off the ship and use it a few hours and bring it back.

At very least this will be more cost effective. There is an Enterprise rental place a few blocks away.