Going to a beach on our own?

Iamthesea

I am also waiting to see the answer to your question as I am wondering the same- I believe that Belize City is not very close to any beaches- Carnival only offers snorkeling shore exursions, no beach ones which also makes me think the beaches are far away- i will be wathcing for answers here too

There really are no beaches from where the tenders drop you off. Everything is built right to the water....no sand. The town is dirty and very poverish. There is a very small shopping center (not really worth it and didn't look very safe).

The best thing to do is a take an excursion. The snorkeling is some of the best, but my personal favorite was the cave-tubing.

I love Belize, but I definitely wouldn't go to town.

If you don't plan to take an excursion, just stay on the ship.

gone cruisin or any others who have done the cave tubing. Is it at anytime "tight" in the caves. I am very calustrophobic & need my space. Can't do MRI's only open ones. Will I freak out in the caves? Thanks for your help.

The ceilings range from about 20 feet above our heads to as much as 50 feet. What might make you claustrophobic is the amount of people they pack all at once into the river. When I went, it was bumper to bumper tubes. Lost my family several times. We had to finally hold on to each others tube to make sure we weren't shoved around.

Once you exit the cave, everyone starts to spread out.

There really are no beaches from where the tenders drop you off. Everything is built right to the water....no sand. The town is dirty and very poverish. There is a very small shopping center (not really worth it and didn't look very safe).

The best thing to do is a take an excursion. The snorkeling is some of the best, but my personal favorite was the cave-tubing.

I love Belize, but I definitely wouldn't go to town.

If you don't plan to take an excursion, just stay on the ship.

I disagree with part of this (and agree with some of it). The port shopping area is QUITE safe. The town is a bit run-down (NOT unusual in 3rd world countries) but the area ajacent to the port is pretty safe. An aquaintance who lived in Belize advised me that the rest of the city was not great to wonder around in. Personally I would not hang around Belize City when the rest of the country is so interesting.

DO take an excursion here - there are lots of good ones! Many people love cave tubing. Some go to Caye Caulker. There are a number of interesting ruins to go to (I loved Lamanai). Go ashore but at least have an excursion in mind - there are excursion vendors at the port.

stay on the ship....the Pier area and i suppose the town is safe as long as you do the smart things, lotsa beggers, cabbies all vying for your $$$, quite a hassle, but probaby safe....Drink at the wet lizrd on the Pier, buy crafts on the pier....but not a lot oputside of the Radisson hotel, right behind the pier area....

Go into the jungle, take a raft or cave it, but not worth going into town...Juarez Mexico is a little better....:(

We would like to know if it is possible to take a beach excursion on our own in Belize. I have heard it is not safe to be out alone.

Any suggestions of beaches and how to get there?

Beach options....

For a beach that you can snorkel from you need to go to

Caye Caulker....(larger island)

Goff's Caye... or Rendevous Caye (gilligan's islands)

They are all located on the barrier reef and you have to pay for a boat to take you there.

We love Belize and have always felt safe out on the cayes....

The shopping areas are just okay here.

When I was on the boards over the weekend, noticed that Coral Breeze has a great looking tour with which ends up at Bannister Island which is the new "spot" in Belize. Includes lunch and you can snorkel if you choose. Two or three options or you can just relax at the beach.

We view Belize day as an extra sea day. We stay on the ship and just enjoy our floating hotel.

Yeah,

I'll second that for sure! We just got back from RCCL Belize, I was probably looking forward to it the most and was sorely dissappointed. We went to Cucumber beach and while the facilities were nice the water was disgusting. If I could do it over I'd do the Banister (sp?) beach trip. It was hard for us as we were cruising with our kids 5 and 3, otherwise I'd have gone diving.

Archived