Sunscreen recommendations?

firsttimespaz

Can anyone recommend a good sunscreen?

DH and I will be cruising in the caribbean and neither of us have a tan. I will also not go to a tanning booth to get a "base".

I would like to get some color, but not run the risk of getting burned. We will be snorkeling and going to the beach.

I have some Coppertone Sport from over a year ago, but not sure if that stuff will still be good.

What has worked for everyone else?

I like Neutrogena Healthy Defense. I usually get a 25 - 30 and I tan easily. You really want to make sure you use a spf of 15 or above. If you think you might burn easily than try a 30. And if you're going in the water make sure to use one that is waterproof and reapply often. It seems that when I go snorkeling I forget to reapply and sometimes will sometimes get red. I also have used and liked the Banana boat products. They also have a great aftersun lotion that helps your skin stay soft after being out in the sun alot.

The one you have from last year should still be good. Depending on who to believe I have read they can last up to 2 years.

Can anyone recommend a good sunscreen?

DH and I will be cruising in the caribbean and neither of us have a tan. I will also not go to a tanning booth to get a "base".

I would like to get some color, but not run the risk of getting burned. We will be snorkeling and going to the beach.

I have some Coppertone Sport from over a year ago, but not sure if that stuff will still be good.

What has worked for everyone else?

Make sure it's waterproof or your eyes will sting. Also some lotions have expiration dates. Use at least a 15 for the Carib. sun. We usually take 15 & 8. If we get a good base tan ,no burn with the 15 then we go to the 8 .Have a good trip:)

Banana Boat sport - 15 and 30. Take 8 if you are feeling adventurous. However, start with the 30 and then work your way down. For your face, Loreal Ombrelle is great and dermatologist recommended. However, you may need to order it at the pharmacy. Oh and chuck the year old bottle - many say it loses its effectiveness. In my opinion, it aint worth the risk. Enjoy your cruise

Make sure you put sunscreen on your back when snorkelling- you'd be surprised how red it can get! If you are worried about burning, definitely use #30 the first day - I had 30 on my body & 15 on my face (my everyday face cream is spf 15, so I just used it). My face got quite burned, but my body was fine. I usually start out with 30 & work my way down.

Well, the lesson I learned was...use it. I kept forgetting to put in on in Cozumel (And I use spf 45 or 50!) so my back got kind of red. I definitely underestimated the power of the sun!

I use Avon sunscreen myself. It hasn't failed me yet and in Cozumel was the only time I burned.

last cruise, i brought 2 cans of coppertone sport continuous spray spf 30, and used about a can and a half btwn just me and DH (7 nighter). if worked well, and made it easy to reapply, it was just a little inconvenient if i was on a windy top deck (didn't want to spray the person in the chair next to me). i usually bring a new bottle of no-ad spf 30 (bought at walmart, it's about $3-$4 i think for a huge 16 oz. bottle, so i just toss whatever is left over at the end of the cruise, and have had really good results, as long as i reapply regularly, i do not burn (it's waterproof, but i assume it rubs off on my towel/in the pool to some degree). also, i have very sensitive skin, & a lot a of topical allergies, and i have had no bad reactions to the no-ad sunblock.

Hi all,

I live in the tropics of northern Australia where the sun can ruin a person's holiday in 15 minutes, unbeknowns to them, while they are soaking up it's glory! I suppose it depends on what part of the world you are travelling to but I would always recommend using a 30+spf rated sunscreen. Banana Boat also make an After Sun spray containing Aloe which feels great if you think you may have over done it! When snorkling, a shirt is advisable as it's one of the most pleasurable activities to do and one can completely forget how quickly the time has passed by. Don't forget a hat/ sun visor! And one last thing, to quote one of our reef tour operators, 'Remember, the only thing water resistant about your sunscreen, is the bottle it's come in!'

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers

I'd throw away the old stuff and buy a new one. The Coppertone Sport SPF 30 works great. That's what we use on our boat at home throughout the summer. Just remember that the sun in the Caribbean is alot stronger than here in the states. It's always better to be safe than sorry. I can't tell you how many days have been ruined by a sunburn. Also remmber to reapply frequently, especially after being in the water for extended periods of time.

Remember both the water & the shiny surfaces on the ship reflect sunlight & increase the effects, making it easier to burn. That's on top of the stronger sun.

At a minimum wear an SPF that's double what you'd use at home, unless you are already wearing 30-45. Don't forget a hat, sunglasses & something for your lips.

limit your exposure...a looose fitting long sleeve, light colored, cotton shirt can be a wonderful sunscreen. I've worn a light denim shirt snorkeling and ended up the only one not sunburned.... Oh, and a light colored hat too..growing up in the Chicago area, the first trips to the beach for the year I followed this routine and never had a problem....

don't forget to grease the backs of the legs and the tops of your feet tho...

On our honeymoon I bought my new fair skinned wife a bottle of high priced high quality sun screen. We honeymooned at a hotel with a pool so large they rented canoes...and we went out in one (all the chairs were full by the time we came out :o ). We floated for a couple of hours....

She was a $ conscious new wife and did not want to waste the $$ sun screen....and burned to a crisp. Being naturally darker, I had no problem other than the fact I could not come with in 6 feet of her for several days due to the blistering sun burn. :p

Tried and true... Hawaiian Tropic makes one called "Ozone" it has an spf of 70. Silver bottle with blue lettering and lid. Not cheap but not much more than other stuff. Also if you are going to be snorkeling during sea nettle season you might want to pick up some "Sea Safe". Not sure what the spf is but you really aren't getting it for that.

Toss any sunscreen that is over a year or so old, it separates and doesn't work as well. Coppertone Water babies Spectra3 or Kids Spectra3 SPF 50. I love it, I normally burn just looking at the sun and any real time spent outside would involve long sleeves. I still turn slightly pink with this stuff after a few days outside, but I don't burn to a crisp or blister. My sun allergy is cut down a lot also. I used to use the regular Coppertone water babies 45 and that worked fairly well, but the spectra3 stuff works a lot better. They also have adult bottling in SPF 50 and one that is SPF 30

http://www.coppertone.com/prodselect.aspx?pgid=5

The sea safe stuff I had was SPF 30, I don't know how well it blocks the sun out as I only had it on my arms and legs with the spectra3 stuff on my back. http://www.buysafesea.com/

Both were about $10 depending on the store.

I wouldn't use the old sunscreen, not even a year old. I always try to put a date on my sunscreen when I purchase it, so I have an idea of how old it is. We live in Florida on the water, so we purchase alot of sunscreen. I have darker skin and hubby tells me to always use a SPF 15 or higher. He fishes alot and one of his Dr. friends told him about NO-AD - sport sunblock-SPF 50. It's cheap and he puts it on in the AM and doesn't need to re -do all day and you can't tell he has been out in the sun at all.

Just make sure to allow someone to help get sunscreen on your back. A LOT OF IT! I didn't really think about it when I snorkled for the first time and only used it on my front. Well, it's a funny thing when your floating on the top of the water, looking down, and your entire back is exposed to the sun for hours! Let's just say it's a good thing I live in Florida and had a base before. hehehe:)

I would highly recommend this product...it can be found at your local Health Food Stores or I just order it online.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/Sku/81499

We have used this for years...used it in Playa Del Carmen...used it in Florida. You will not get burned...and it's waterproof and sweatproof for up to 8 hours with one application...how cool is that? Now there are two SPF'S to choose from 40 is the 8 hour one and 16 is a two hour protection.

I used this on my sons when they were young on a vacation to Florida...it is just wonderful. I also have a friend, who is a redhead and loves to fish with her DH, but always got sun poisoning...until she used Lily Of The Desert. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial...but we'll be taking it on our Cruise in May!

merry1.gif

My husband has no hair (young, started going bald, decided shaving was easy;) ) and he works outside a lot throughout the year, so I always get him a great waterproof sunscreen--otherwise when he sweats it gets in his eyes and causes him to go blind. In the past he's used the banana boat sport and the coppertone sport. Looking at the banana boat website there's a new product called "Surf" which promises extra waterproof protection--I know what's going on my shopping list to try:D

Don't let anyone tell you to use a low number sunscreen. I have dark skin and tan very easily and in the Caribbean I always use at leasr SPF 30 and often SPF 45.

THe type doesn't so much matter but one of the sport ones tends to last longer.

Be careful if you snorkel or spend a lot of time in the pool, you will need to take extra care of your back and face.

Archived