WiFi internet speed

Fogfog

OK

Lets talk Wifi and Internet speed

We typically buy (on another line) an unlimited package for 1 device (at a time) and it is easily shared to check email via cell phone or laptop (1 at a time) 

DH will be accessing biz email and potentially uploading/downloading technical files (engineer drawings for example)

We don't do streaming/movies.

Thoughts on packages?

Does MSC's Wifi allow unlimited / 1 at a time user?  We don't need 4 users/4 devices unless their system recognizes a cell phone vs laptop vs ipad...

Advice welcome

Yes, MSC system recognizes devices, but not their actual type.  If you purchase a 1 device package and connect a phone,  then that will be the device connected to the package. 

MSC packages are not unlimited. They are based on data quantity,  not time.

We have sailed on MSC 5 times.  Generally, connection speed was acceptable, not remarkable. However, on our most recent sailing, I had images of a wounded snail, hooked on Valium.  That bad.  I was unable - not unwilling - to use the data that I purchased. 

• Thanks 1

MSC does offer unlimited plan (1 device) on certain ships/itineraries.

Link: https://m.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Mobile/Discover-MSC/On-Board/Internet.aspx

We purchased the Premium Internet Package for 4 devices / 6GB on 3 cruises and used it all.

We registered 1 phone + 1 tablet for each person (4 devices total).

The speed depended on the time of the day. Very slow from 9:00am - 8:00pm on sea days but ‘kind of fast’ at night after 11:00pm.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

Yes, MSC system recognizes devices, but not their actual type.  If you purchase a 1 device package and connect a phone,  then that will be the device connected to the package. 

MSC packages are not unlimited. They are based on data quantity,  not time.

We have sailed on MSC 5 times.  Generally, connection speed was acceptable, not remarkable. However, on our most recent sailing, I had images of a wounded snail, hooked on Valium.  That bad.  I was unable - not unwilling - to use the data that I purchased. 

TY for the warning. I will be sure to let DH know as uploading/downloading a doc could be a challenge

We had issues with that on another cruise line (albeit on a TA so middle of Atlantic perhaps part of the issue)

13 hours ago, SirWolf said:

Link: https://m.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Mobile/Discover-MSC/On-Board/Internet.aspx

We purchased the Premium Internet Package for 4 devices / 6GB on 3 cruises and used it all.

The speed depended on the time of the day. Very slow from 9:00am - 8:00pm on sea days but ‘kind of fast’ at night after 11:00pm.

TY

We don't do streaming, just have biz needs during biz hours

although early am while DH sleeps I often have coffee and read news/social media on tablet (on balcony)

on other line, speed/connectivity on balcony could be spotty...

On 12/30/2019 at 5:30 PM, SirWolf said:

So, the price for this Premium Package for our 7 day cruise on Meragvilia is listed at $99 per adult. For a couple cruising, do we each have to pay $99 or does only one person purchase the package and we both can use up to 4 devices?

23 minutes ago, CruiserDoc said:

So, the price for this Premium Package for our 7 day cruise on Meragvilia is listed at $99 per adult. For a couple cruising, do we each have to pay $99 or does only one person purchase the package and we both can use up to 4 devices?

You only have to purchase 1 Internet Package and share between devices by logging in with the same Internet ID (printed on cruise card).

3 hours ago, SirWolf said:

You only have to purchase 1 Internet Package and share between devices by logging in with the same Internet ID (printed on cruise card).

We always purchase one package to share. Just ensure you use the internet id from the card of the person who purchased the package.