AMS airport connection time

johnandlinda

We are able to get direct flights on Delta from and to Tampa. On our return there have been schedule changes on our Basel to AMS flight where we will only have 65 mins...obviously if the first flight is delayed we would be in trouble, but if its on time is 65 mins sufficient?

Frist, if Delta changed schedules on you, you can request a no-cost rebooking to a connection with more time. They *may* argue, because 65 minutes is a legal connection time in AMS, but I've had good luck just asking nicely. (I think 50 minutes is the minimum guideline) Certainly bring up mobility issues if you have any.  

If a change is not practical or allowed, 65 minutes is fine. Will likely cut out your time for a stroopwafel and koffie, but you'll make it. 😁

I think it depends on when your flight is.  Last May after our Homelands cruise we had 90 minutes between flights in Amsterdam and we barely made our connecting flight to Detroit.  Passport Control in Amsterdam can be quick or take forever.  

1 hour ago, SoccerMom#3 said:

I think it depends on when your flight is.  Last May after our Homelands cruise we had 90 minutes between flights in Amsterdam and we barely made our connecting flight to Detroit.  Passport Control in Amsterdam can be quick or take forever.  

Hi SoccerMom#3,

We are doing the Homelands cruise Fall 2020 and are wondering if you did a review of your cruise last May. If so, where can we find it? We are also interested in the airline(s) you used for the trip, since we are also in Colorado. Any other advice, including clothing for the climate, will also be appreciated.  Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, ruimin said:

Hi SoccerMom#3,

We are doing the Homelands cruise Fall 2020 and are wondering if you did a review of your cruise last May. If so, where can we find it? We are also interested in the airline(s) you used for the trip, since we are also in Colorado. Any other advice, including clothing for the climate, will also be appreciated.  Thanks. 

I didn't do a review but it was a wonderful cruise.  We did the included tours for most ports except Gdansk where we did the optional excursion to the Stutthof Concentration Camp and we did the 2 Day Must See Tour with Alla Tours in St. Petersburg which we arranged with others on our ship through the Cruise Critic Roll Call. We also stayed two extra days in Stockholm at the end of the cruise. 

Since our trip was late April/Early May it was cold in most ports so I used a puffy coat I bought on Amazon and the hat and gloves I wear here in Colorado.  Layers are the key.  Some days I needed an UnderArmour shirt under my clothes but most days I didn't.  

We flew Delta Comfort Class for our flights.  Denver-Atlanta-Amsterdam-Bergen to the cruise and then Stockholm-Amsterdam-Detroit-Denver home.  Lots of connections but it's hard to get from here to there and then back.  Other than the stressful connection in Amsterdam on the way home, all flights and connections were fine.  I ended up booking the flights directly with Delta since it was cheaper than using Viking Air plus given the extra they charge including the extra for staying a few days after the cruise in Stockholm.

All in all the cruise was truly the trip of a lifetime.  

Elise

We did the Homelands Cruise last April and connected two times through AMS. KLM outbound and Delta for the return. We had a 90 minute connection time for the outbound segment and had no problems. The return flight we had a 2:45 hrs. connection time and had plenty of time once through security/passport control (slow). The problem we experienced was at the Delta gate. No organization or control on the boarding. People gang rushed the gate trying to be the first to board. We were flying Delta One class and it had no effect as to when we could board. We just patiently waited our turn knowing there would be a nice cocktail (or 2) waiting for us. 🍷

9 hours ago, SoccerMom#3 said:

I didn't do a review but it was a wonderful cruise.  We did the included tours for most ports except Gdansk where we did the optional excursion to the Stutthof Concentration Camp and we did the 2 Day Must See Tour with Alla Tours in St. Petersburg which we arranged with others on our ship through the Cruise Critic Roll Call. We also stayed two extra days in Stockholm at the end of the cruise. 

Since our trip was late April/Early May it was cold in most ports so I used a puffy coat I bought on Amazon and the hat and gloves I wear here in Colorado.  Layers are the key.  Some days I needed an UnderArmour shirt under my clothes but most days I didn't.  

We flew Delta Comfort Class for our flights.  Denver-Atlanta-Amsterdam-Bergen to the cruise and then Stockholm-Amsterdam-Detroit-Denver home.  Lots of connections but it's hard to get from here to there and then back.  Other than the stressful connection in Amsterdam on the way home, all flights and connections were fine.  I ended up booking the flights directly with Delta since it was cheaper than using Viking Air plus given the extra they charge including the extra for staying a few days after the cruise in Stockholm.

All in all the cruise was truly the trip of a lifetime.  

Elise

Thanks so much for the information!

A lot depends on getting through the exit from the Shengen side (Switzerland is a Shengen Agreement country) to the international transfer side.  This requires a passport control check.  BE SURE to tell any of the uniformed aids controlling the crowds at this control point that you have a SHORT CONNECTION, and they will let you into the shorter bypass line.  If you stay in line with the crowd you stand a good chance of being denied boarding for late gate arrival, especially if Delta is using a distant gate in G.

• 1 month later...

We had roughly an hour to transfer at AMS from our flight from Basel to our flight back to the US (we were supposed to have 1 hr 15 mins, but our flight out of Basel was delayed). As our departure gate for IAD was at what seemed like the far end of the airport, we resorted to speed walking, only stopping at the restrooms (of course !), and made it to our gate in 25 minutes, after boarding had begun. There was only a brief delay at Passport Control. 

Thats certainly a great idea however I have no clue how the airline can control it, at least here in the states. Its like a stampede to get off the plane! And with airlines now  offering early boarding to people needing assistance, its amazing how many people suddenly need to board! 

• 1 month later...

Hello JohnandLinda, because of lockdown I am trawling CC for a diversion and came upon this post. We will be first timers on Viking Ocean next January but have had experience with KLM flights through AMS with short layovers that were very different experiences. Both times we had the same scheduling departing Glasgow at the end of January with 1hr 10 mins layover at AMS, the first time it all went like clockwork, there is only one terminal building in AMS so it is a brisk walk between Gates and 1hr is ample time all going well.

Our second trip, this year, was a different story. There was fog in AMS and we had to sit on plane at GLW for first of all 50 mins which became 1hr 15mins, the captain kept us updated informing us that planes were being delayed at AMS which would have a knock on effect and we might be lucky and make the flight. This turned out to be the case having sprinted between gates they were still boarding last few passengers.

Breathing a sigh of relief we realised though we would be arriving in Miami the chance of our luggage being on the plane was negligible which was the case. We reported the missing luggage at the luggage pick up to staff and they filed the report and we were contacted the next day regarding our luggage which had gone on its own journey and would be delivered the following day, luckily we had 3 days in Miami pre cruise.

Moral of the story, short layovers are great when all goes well and I would not book one unless I had sufficient buffer to allow for mishaps. I always take hand luggage with a range of clothing and the airline provide allowance to acquire emergency requirements. KLM were excellent to deal with and very quick to respond and rectify the situation and I would have no hesitation to recommend them as an airline of choice.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:50 AM, johnandlinda said:

In our situation, we opted against the 65 minute connection time. We will have a long long layover, but its our choice

Great decision, I was glad that we had Viking Air to change flights when United also changed the connecting flight in Brussels & we had a short connection.  United was not concerned and didn't care, I was glad that we could work through Viking Air to make the changes w/o charges.  Unfortunately the whole trip was canceled due to the coronavirus.