Explorations Central - port planner

travelingla

I will be on the Nieuw Statendam in a few months and am under the impression that we can search our port in EXC for the sites we are interested in and print out a personalized walking map with these sites on it.

For those of you who have used EXC, Is this correct?

If not, then I will need to print this out from home.

Thanks so much.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:11 PM, kwb101 said:

Having seen the EXC setup on several ships, I would try the CC port boards for information. As I remember, the EXC content was rather general,and not useful in planning much. 

That is very disappointing & nothing like I read initially about the purpose. Even the video on it shows ‘table size’ ‘iPad-like tables with folks swiping a map on it.  I was checking on the printing info. I will call HAL & see if I can find specifics.  I just thought I’d ask here in case others had made use of it. You said you’ve seen it on several ships.  Thanks for your reply.

On the ships I've been on, no printers. The monitors are huge, but are not much better than the "interactive" map on HAL's website: pretty, but largely useless (and annoying, because going day-by-day often means you stop in the middle of the ocean on multiple sea day legs, with no redeemer to whet you are). Information-dense it is not. I think much of HAL's screen designs are aimed at mobile devices, not especially fruitful when the screen is tabletop-size.

Hope you find what you need. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kwb101 said:

On the ships I've been on, no printers. The monitors are huge, but are not much better than the "interactive" map on HAL's website: pretty, but largely useless (and annoying, because going day-by-day often means you stop in the middle of the ocean on multiple sea day legs, with no redeemer to whet you are). Information-dense it is not. I think much of HAL's screen designs are aimed at mobile devices, not especially fruitful when the screen is tabletop-size.

Hope you find what you need. 

I am so sad about this..... but so glad I asked!! Thank you all for responding! Seems like a lot of wasted money 🤑

We plan to do a lot of 'self guided' walking in ports so I had visions of plotting the sites on a map here & printing them off....I cannot even remember now where I got that incorrect info 😏   Now  I will be plotting my own maps before I go.

Thank you all!

but...... I am hard-headed & will still call HAL to see what they say about the 'benefit' & 'purpose' of this area!! 😋

4 hours ago, travelingla said:

I am so sad about this..... but so glad I asked!! Thank you all for responding! Seems like a lot of wasted money 🤑

We plan to do a lot of 'self guided' walking in ports so I had visions of plotting the sites on a map here & printing them off....I cannot even remember now where I got that incorrect info 😏   Now  I will be plotting my own maps before I go.

Thank you all!

but...... I am hard-headed & will still call HAL to see what they say about the 'benefit' & 'purpose' of this area!! 😋

You are echoing the thoughts of many here on the HAL Forum when HAL decided to convert the Crows Nest library and loungers to map tables, travel books, and chairs.