Aug/Sept Princess Star or NCL Sun?

CRG7

Looking for thoughts/experiences:

We had previously looked at July itineraries but September seems to offer a couple of options that work for us. It will be for a delayed honeymoon (getting married in July).

We are currently looking at the 10-Day Inside Passage with Glacier Bay National Park on Princess Star Princess - Aug. 31-Sept 10 round trip from San Francisco. Includes Juneau, Skagway, GBNP, Ketchikan, Victoria.

The other option is NCL Sun 11-Day Ultimate Alaska Sept 4-15 round trip from Seattle. Includes Endicott Arm & Dawes, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, GB, Ketchikan, Victoria.

To me one choice is more sea days vs. more Alaska! Personally, I don't like sea days that much, but I'm not a honeymooner. 

The second choice is glaciers. On the Sun you will see Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and Dawes Glacier. And Sitka and Icy Strait Point are two of my favorite Alaska ports.

We live just north of San Francisco, yet I would never choose to cruise Alaska from there. I love Alaska, and I want a lot more of it than the Princess cruise offers. BTW, we are cruising on one of the Sun's 11-day cruises in May.

I hope you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

We are cruising the NCL Sun Sept 4-15 Ultimate Glacier Cruise that you mentioned.

It will be our 4th NCL cruise to Alaska.  We've sailed on the Sun before, a 10 day southern Caribbean, really enjoyed the ship - we don't need constant entertainment by others to enjoy ourselves.........rock climbing walls, etc.

One of the amazing things about cruising Alaska, even sea/glacier days are so incredibly scenic, it is hard to tear yourself away from the scenery on your balcony-or the open decks . We always take our own binoculars.  

This would be a very relaxing and scenic Alaskan cruise, especially if it might be a one time Alaskan  cruise.

This is a great itinerary, in my opinion!

On 1/3/2020 at 1:38 PM, CRG7 said:

Looking for thoughts/experiences:

We had previously looked at July itineraries but September seems to offer a couple of options that work for us. It will be for a delayed honeymoon (getting married in July).

We are currently looking at the 10-Day Inside Passage with Glacier Bay National Park on Princess Star Princess - Aug. 31-Sept 10 round trip from San Francisco. Includes Juneau, Skagway, GBNP, Ketchikan, Victoria.

The other option is NCL Sun 11-Day Ultimate Alaska Sept 4-15 round trip from Seattle. Includes Endicott Arm & Dawes, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, GB, Ketchikan, Victoria.

I would definitely choose the SUN.  The Officers and crew on the SUN are the best of any we have ever met.  We've done over 30 cruises on 5 or 6 lines and the SUN is still our favorite.   Most of them work very hard to stay on the SUN because of the ship's atmosphere.  You have several advantages with the SUN.  It was recently renovated and is beautiful.  It is a small ship that caters to the passengers.  You don't find this on larger ships.  The capacity of the SUN - when full - is 2400. 

You are wise to wait until September.  Since this is the first week of school for many, the ship will probably not be full, and there will probably be few children.  I also love the itinerary.  When we cruised Alaska, we loved the straits.

Either cruise should be a wonderful experience for you.

You should follow your instincts and book the one that "feels right" for you.

Best of luck and have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.