Norwegian Star Engine Problem Questions

danny8826

1 hour ago, danny8826 said:

I haven't sail on her so I can't comment on that, but if I'm aware of an issue, I wouldn't sail on it regardless of which ship and in this case, it's the STAR.

As I said, issues on one ship are not reason enough to abandon an entire line.  If that was the case you wouldn't sail on ANY cruise line.  Pick a ship other than the Star and Sail on NCL again.

Just now, danny8826 said:

They didn't want to fix it because they will loose revenues when the ship is not sailing

Read other threads on this.  It was NOT a revenue issue, it was a PARTS issue.  They can't get the parts needed in a timely manner, they need to wait for them to be produced before they can take the ship out of service for repairs.  Imagine them taking the ship out of service and waiting for SIX MONTHS to effect repairs because the parts aren't available.  Not happening as that actually WOULD be a huge hit to the bottom line.

They're didn't wait because they wanted to, they waited because they HAD TO!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Read other threads on this.  It was NOT a revenue issue, it was a PARTS issue.  They can't get the parts needed in a timely manner, they need to wait for them to be produced before they can take the ship out of service for repairs.  Imagine them taking the ship out of service and waiting for SIX MONTHS to effect repairs because the parts aren't available.  Not happening as that actually WOULD be a huge hit to the bottom line.

They're didn't wait because they wanted to, they waited because they HAD TO!

I have NEVER said I wouldn't sail on NCL.

My point is, I'm switching ship (Of course, Silhouette is not a NCL ship).  It's not a cheap cruise and I wanted to see places that this cruise will go to.  If there's a weather related issue, then I understand.

6 hours ago, june123 said:

Sorry but i disagree we love the star x the size of the ship and especially the layout . She is a bit like "marmite" though , you love her or hate her , but it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things . 

We particularly dislike the fact that there is no bar and seating aft of the buffet.  Instead the Star has the spa and fitness center.

Being able to eat your breakfast or lunch outside watching the wake of the ship.  The ship is old and worn out, has many failures.  Time to do away with it.

• Like 1

So, like 15 posts because of a misunderstanding that "switch cruise line" mean "switch cruise line for this cruise," not "never sail NCL."   It is kind of painful to read a thread and see the disconnect of why people are talking past each other!  

Edited by Regguy
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Regguy said:

So, like 15 posts because of a misunderstanding that "switch cruise line" mean "switch cruise line for this cruise," not "never sail NCL."   It is kind of painful to read a thread and see the disconnect of why people are talking past each other!  

Thank you!!!  Glad someone sees my point.  I have sail with Royal, NCL, Carnival, Princess and I'm switching cruise line for this particular cruise, not from now on.  That would be so immature childlish to think one cruise line is better than the other.

They all have their goods and bad.

14 hours ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you!!!  Glad someone sees my point.  I have sail with Royal, NCL, Carnival, Princess and I'm switching cruise line for this particular cruise, not from now on.  That would be so immature childlish to think one cruise line is better than the other.

They all have their goods and bad.

We have cruised on NCL, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.  Each one has it's strong points.  We have never had a bad cruise and we have done 20, most of them 14 days or more.

We started cruising when I retired in 2010.  We pick cruises largely based on the itinerary and price.  Since we have loyalty benefits on all three we pick one of those three.  I always check Princess, but never find its cruises better than the three.

Our preferred cruise line is Celebrity, then Royal C. then NCL.

NCL and Royal exceed when it comes to entertainment, while Celebrity has the best designed ships and best dining.  Also, Royal and Celebrity have better loyalty programs with free happy hour (we don't need a drink package).

NCL has drifted away from us by only giving the flexibility of no perk pricing until closer to the cruise.  We book early and now seem to book Celebrity or Royal.  Also, a couple of NCL's ships, Epic and Star we prefer not do cruise on.  Further, we like transatlantic cruises and it seems that most of NCL's transatlantic cruises are out of NYC, which is not good for us.

We liked NCL's open dining, but the other cruise lines have adopted the option of that method.  Also, NCL does nickel and dime more than the other two.  Still, we always compare before we book.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We particularly dislike the fact that there is no bar and seating aft of the buffet.  Instead the Star has the spa and fitness center.

Being able to eat your breakfast or lunch outside watching the wake of the ship.  The ship is old and worn out, has many failures.  Time to do away with it.

So sorry we won`t be seeing you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We have cruised on NCL, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.  Each one has it's strong points.  We have never had a bad cruise and we have done 20, most of them 14 days or more.

We started cruising when I retired in 2010.  We pick cruises largely based on the itinerary and price.  Since we have loyalty benefits on all three we pick one of those three.  I always check Princess, but never find its cruises better than the three.

Our preferred cruise line is Celebrity, then Royal C. then NCL.

NCL and Royal exceed when it comes to entertainment, while Celebrity has the best designed ships and best dining.  Also, Royal and Celebrity have better loyalty programs with free happy hour (we don't need a drink package).

NCL has drifted away from us by only giving the flexibility of no perk pricing until closer to the cruise.  We book early and now seem to book Celebrity or Royal.  Also, a couple of NCL's ships, Epic and Star we prefer not do cruise on.  Further, we like transatlantic cruises and it seems that most of NCL's transatlantic cruises are out of NYC, which is not good for us.

We liked NCL's open dining, but the other cruise lines have adopted the option of that method.  Also, NCL does nickel and dime more than the other two.  Still, we always compare before we book.

I agree. 

20 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Good to know. This is also important to us and we are booked on Star for this fall.