How/when do I find out what my cabin number is?

GrouchoSentMe

Hello!  Apologies for being so clueless... I'm going on my first cruise in June (Costa Magica: Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallinn).  I'm in a cheaper cabin so I didn't get to select a specific one.  My booking itinerary lists the cabin as G00000.  Do I find out in advance which cabin number I've been booked in or for the cheaper cabins are they apportioned on a first come first served basis on the embarkation day?

4 minutes ago, GrouchoSentMe said:

Hello!  Apologies for being so clueless... I'm going on my first cruise in June (Costa Magica: Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallinn).  I'm in a cheaper cabin so I didn't get to select a specific one.  My booking itinerary lists the cabin as G00000.  Do I find out in advance which cabin number I've been booked in or for the cheaper cabins are they apportioned on a first come first served basis on the embarkation day?

It could be anywhere from day of booking to day of sailing. No specific date. I assume you have a GTY. Did you chose a category or is it anything anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, GrouchoSentMe said:

Thanks for replying - the category is just an inside room.  I don't know what GTY stands for?  (I'm very new to all of this!)

GTY is for a guarantee where they pick the cabin for you. If you picked an inside you should have had a cabin number as soon as you booked.   I would call your TA or the cruise line to verify what you have. 

2 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

GTY is for a guarantee where they pick the cabin for you. If you picked an inside you should have had a cabin number as soon as you booked.   I would call your TA or the cruise line to verify what you have. 

Thanks - I will get in touch with the company I booked with to try and clarify matters!

No if you booked a basic cabin, you will be allocate your cabin on boarding, this can sometimes be a change from any number mentioned on your booking.

These basic cabins are not Guaranteed & dining times cannot be chosen, however id you want early dining (6.30) see Maître 'd after boarding deck three/four MDR aft about 4pm, see daily news sheet found in your cabin.

The G00000 just confirms a cabin you may even get up-graded to an outside.

The Magica is a lovely ship we been on her five times over the years, best bar for English speakers is on deck five aft. Piano/wine bar no coffe but main bar aft serves that if you want one.

Great first cruise to Northern Capitals.

If you booked directly through Costa, in my experience  you will get your cabin number 14 days before departure. You will receive a email with a link to your tickets for the cruise. As well as the cruise tickets you will also receive a page with printed labels for your bags. You attach these labels with tape to your luggage and then hand your luggage to the porters in the port. Your assigned room number will be on these printed labels as well as your tickets. Also in my experience, if you go into My Costa you will see the room number assigned to you at present is G000000, when they assign you your room, again around 14 before departure, your My Costa page will be updated with your room number on.

I have done a couple of cruises with Costa and booked direct with them, and this was my experience with guaranteed rooms.

I would say it is very unlikely that you will get upgraded unless the ship is sailing half empty. There are a lot of people in Costa Club, and they will be first in the que when it comes to upgrades, but you never know.

5 hours ago, tenpin said:

No if you booked a basic cabin, you will be allocate your cabin on boarding, this can sometimes be a change from any number mentioned on your booking.

These basic cabins are not Guaranteed & dining times cannot be chosen, however id you want early dining (6.30) see Maître 'd after boarding deck three/four MDR aft about 4pm, see daily news sheet found in your cabin.

The G00000 just confirms a cabin you may even get up-graded to an outside.

The Magica is a lovely ship we been on her five times over the years, best bar for English speakers is on deck five aft. Piano/wine bar no coffe but main bar aft serves that if you want one.

Great first cruise to Northern Capitals.

Just to confirm - this means I don't have a 'Guaranteed' cabin in that it might not be a specific type or number, but I am 'guaranteed' a cabin; I won't get to the port to find I'm not allowed on board!  Thanks for all your helpful info re the Costa Magica!  I am using this trip to try out whether I like cruising and am okay on the boat; also as a convenient way to see a number of places/countries I've never been to before and work out whether I then want to save up for a longer holiday in any of these places (particularly Sweden and Finland).

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

If you booked directly through Costa, in my experience  you will get your cabin number 14 days before departure. You will receive a email with a link to your tickets for the cruise. As well as the cruise tickets you will also receive a page with printed labels for your bags. You attach these labels with tape to your luggage and then hand your luggage to the porters in the port. Your assigned room number will be on these printed labels as well as your tickets. Also in my experience, if you go into My Costa you will see the room number assigned to you at present is G000000, when they assign you your room, again around 14 before departure, your My Costa page will be updated with your room number on.

I have done a couple of cruises with Costa and booked direct with them, and this was my experience with guaranteed rooms.

I would say it is very unlikely that you will get upgraded unless the ship is sailing half empty. There are a lot of people in Costa Club, and they will be first in the que when it comes to upgrades, but you never know.

I haven't booked directly with Costa so am unable to access My Costa.  I don't know if this will cause any problems with receiving my tickets or my luggage labels... I'm having quite a few difficulties with accessing anything on Costa's website at the moment, which is rather annoying because I want to see what different drinks packages they offer/their St Petersburg trips and possibly book these in advance.

Just to add - I've finally managed to register with My Costa/Costa Club this evening and can now access their info about drinks, trips etc - they already had record of which cruise I was booked on, so hopefully everything will run smoothly with tickets etc nearer the time!

Please do not worry, you will be sent details and boarding info any time from three weeks before your cruise, you may also be given a cabin number, this does not mean that is fixed, usually with cruise lines if there are better cabin not sold, passengers may get up-graded to a better position in the ship. Your luggage will be taken either to old cabin or new.

You should also be able to get into 'mycosta' by putting in your cruise number from any paperwork, this will allow you to fill-in passport numbers, contacts & so forth, & see any tours in the ports of call. This information allows for a quick boarding.

Credit cards can be entered into machines on board (Decks five & three) in the first two days of the cruise.

Your meal times & seating are on your cruise card waiting for you in your cabin.