live Island Princess 59 day Circle South America Ja 9 -Mr 7

Waynetor

Mar 4 Antigua intro

Antigua (An-tee-ga) is the main island of the country Antigua and Barbuda.  The island's circumference is roughly 87km (54mi) and its area 281km2 (108mi2).  The population was 80,161 (at the 2011 Census).  The economy is mainly reliant on tourism, with the agricultural sector serving the domestic market.

Christopher Columbus named the island "Antigua" in 1493 in honour of the "Virgin of the Old Cathedral".

The islands achieved independence in 1981 from the United Kingdom.

Antigua’s claim to fame is that it has 365 beaches - “one for every day of the year”.  All the beaches are open to the public.

On 6 September 2017, the Category 5 Hurricane Irma destroyed 90 percent of the buildings on the island of Barbuda but there was not very much damage on the main island.

Around 25,000 people live in the capital city, St. John’s which is the commercial centre of the nation.  Situated in the north-west, St. John’s has a deep harbour which is able to accommodate large cruise ships. 

Some of the city’s highlights are – many shopping options, the white baroque towers of St John’s Cathedral (clearly visible from cruise ship).  The Botanical Garden is near the intersection of Factory Road and Independence Avenue.  St. John's Antigua Light is a lighthouse located in the city's harbour.  Fort James stands at the entrance to St. John's harbour.  Other nearby forts include Fort George, Fort Charles, Fort Shirley, Fort Berkeley and Fort Barrington.  Government House is the Governor's residence,

The average high temperature in March is 29C (84F) with 72mm (2.8in) of rain in the month.

Day 56 Wednesday, Antigua 9 – 5pm

Another port we have been to quite a few times including twice last year.  We have done a few tours – for those into history, Nelson Dockyard is worth a couple hours as part of a tour.  Last year I walked around town exploring different areas. 

Once outside the port facility it is not wheelchair friendly so Freda stayed on board.  I have covered most of the streets in town so was thinking of staying on board as many others did but had heard the Cathedral of St. Johns was now open to the public.  It had been closed for some time but had a fund-raising program for several years.  I walk up to the church and was able to go inside.  The front steps were being worked on and some other work is still needed including replacing some windows. 

I also took a brief look at the Antigua and Barbuda museum.  The admission cost is $3.  I passed as I did not what to be off the hip too long but did look at the few items they had outside including a train engine and a train used in the plantation day sugar cane fields.  The museum is in the 1750 courthouse.  I only spent a bit over an hour before heading back for lunch.  There are some 19th century colonial buildings in St. John’s but not as any as most of the other ports on this voyage.  The combination of hurricanes and general wear and tear has taken a toll over the years.  As expected, there is the normal tourist shopping options but there are also some nice art shops that include local home décor items.

When we were here last year a new dock had just been started.  A lot of progress has been made, but still along way to go.  Looks like it will handle 2 additional ships on 1 side with nothing on the other side.  

Being our last port, sail away drinks were in order again!  Rum punch is the most common alcoholic and sweet drink beverage here so we had to do bit of the “when in Rome, do as the Romans do” thing.

As I walked along the main street this morning a clearly marked waste disposal truck drove by.  The truck had a large sign on the back “do not follow to closely.”  I can imagine in the old days the trucks had masses following them around but modern-day bureaucracy has now but an end to that simple pleasure.

Today’s thought of the day - Travel is meant to expand our senses, to try new things, hear new things, and taste new things.  So, get out and embrace it, whatever you do.

Day 57 Thursday, March 5, at sea

After deleting roughly 20% of the photos I have taken on this voyage, I have 3,773 left -averages around 150 per port but actual varies lot.

Very nice weather today – around 25C (77F), mostly sunny with a nice breeze. 

We spent some of our time out on deck 7 and got to see some flying fish.  Also saw some birds but no sign of land or other ships.

Tonight was only our 2nd formal night on this segment and our 3rd production show.  They put on a small farewell party tonight in the atrium with the Captain making a nice speech.

We change our clocks tonight so back to Florida time

Today’s quote for the day - There are good ships and there are the wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea.
But the best ships are the friendships
And may they always be. - Irish Toast

1 hour ago, tcmagnum said:

I have to admit, this is pretty dang cool.  What a great trip you are having!!

Indeed!  Nice to have the health, time, and the cash to take on such a lengthy adventure, Weynetor.  The part I really dislike is the night just before you reach your departure port when the ship's passengers are ALL busy getting luggage packed and doing the cabin's drawers and closets for missing socks.  I hate to leave luggage in the hallway all night, too, given my years of police investigations and drug trafficking.

I believe I have read and enjoyed everyone of your daily reports, and later, your photo coverage.  As you know, Weynetor, I did the daily reporting while on Grand Princess last November and then assembled that reporting in an overall paper (see below).  So I understand the discipline one must have to keep writing as you have faithfully done - and done well.  I thank you for the coverage and for the several times you responded directly to me.

I will take Island Princess out in July across the north Atlantic.  I feel I know her a little bit better all because of you.  Welcome home!  Jack

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf

Day 58 Friday, March 6, at sea

No matter how long the cruise, packing day does eventually come. 

Another nice day at sea but a bit cooler than yesterday.  The forecast for Ft. L tomorrow is partly cloudy and a high of 20C (68F).  That beats what will greet us in Toronto tomorrow night – expected high in Toronto is 3C (38F).

Originally we were to dock at 7pm but the Captain has had his foot to the pedal and now we will be docked by 5am giving some extra time to have the ship go through any extra clearance that may be required.

We have not picked up much in the way of material souvenirs but are taking home endless memories of this voyage.

The last day of most cruises are sad days, especially after an amazing voyage.  We said our thanks to some of the staff today and said farewells to many of the passengers we have gotten to know in case we don’t see them tomorrow morning.

“Fantastic, great, wonderful” just about wraps up my feeling about this cruise.  I will be spending the next few weeks going through all the photos I taken. 

Quite a few crew members are starting vacations tomorrow so many of them seem quite happy today which reminds me - All guests make the crew and the cruise line happy!  Some by coming --- Some by leaving!!  We were warmly greeted when we boarded so hopefully, we are in the first group.

Today’s thought of the day - Decide on what kind of dream vacation you are looking for – active, spa, beach, cruise – and make the most of your dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for the great trip report.  Safe travels back to Toronto

Some passengers on Island recently listed complaints about the ship.  You never mentioned any that I can recall, staying positive from day 1 to the end.  Your mindset appears to have been high and enthusiastic . . . which rubs off on me and your many readers.  I pray your return home to Canada will be comfortable and safe.  Jack 

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for the great trip report.  Safe travels back to Toronto

• Thanks 1