Whale watching

Cruiser#5

May 2020 will be my first trip to Alaska.  (Sitka, Icy strait point, skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria bc).  I am obsessed on seeing whales.

Can anyone recommend the best private tours they have been on?  Also what kind of clothing would you suggest during May on these types of tours.

I haven't gone yet, so I can't recommend the private tour I chose (yet) but I booked with Harv & Marv based on the very positive reviews I've read here and on TripAdvisor.  That's out of Juneau.  I know others here recommend Jayleen's (also out of Juneau).

BTW - I love your picture!  I adore pugs.  Lost mine in October 2017 and the world is not the same without her.  

In Juneau, we really like Jayleen's Alaska and in Icy Strait, we like Glacier Wind.  Both vendors are well organized and provide an excellent experience.  Here are the links so you can get general information and see reviews.  More reviews can be found in this Alaska thread and in TripAdvisor.

https://jayleensalaska.com/

https://www.g-wind.com/

The key to Alaska clothing is layers as one never knows what type of weather you might encounter.  We have had beautiful sunny days during our whale watching trips and on others, we have encountered rain (from mist to heavier rain).  If you look at the g-wind website I believe there is a detailed write up about what to wear under the Guest Info tab.

• Like 2

You have 3 'whale ports' so potentially can triple-up on small boat whalewatching - though Juneau and Icy Strait Point are both aiming for the same summer Humpbacks, every trip is different so if this is your priority you should take as many trips as you can fit in. Then in Victoria, if your time in port allows take an Orca-focused tour - use one of the vendors who have Zodiacs as these are fast, so you have the maximum possible chance of being able to reach the pod (all the vendors know where the local resident Orcas are any given day, but if they can't reach them in <90mins they don't even bother trying - so then you have to hope there's a humpback or grey around in range, which is certainly possible in May as some are still on their way up to Alaska and a few have started to hang around near here for the summer instead).

As to clothes - on an open zodiac you'll be given a 'Polar Bear' survival suit to wear, and you'll need it when you're whooshing across the water! Juneau/ISP the whales are so close that boats don't need to be fast, but you do want to be out on deck or opening windows for photos so you want to bring an extra warmth layer - if you're a bit too warm on the bus taking you to the boat, you're probably good for being on the water.

Since you're from Toronto OP, you already have clothing than is more than warm enough - the only question is whether all your good waterproofs are also lined/insulated. If so, you may want to consider an unlined shell - May can be fairly toasty, and it's the statistically-driest month for most of where you're cruising, but it is the PNW so rain is always possible even if it's warm (i.e. heavy coat bad, thin waterproof coat good, just stick on a fleece under it if it's also cold). Don't forget a thin pair of gloves, scarf, and hat - a simple Thinsulate toque that you can roll the scarf & gloves inside takes up very little weight and space, but will make all the difference on glacier viewing days, or if the ship is moving into the wind (thus doubling down on wind chill) and you want to be on deck.

Oh, and sunblock - even if it feels chilly the reflections off the water mean extra sun damage, there's always a lot of lobster-looking passengers after a cool but bright day onboard!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 1:35 AM, martincath said:

You have 3 'whale ports' so potentially can triple-up on small boat whalewatching - though Juneau and Icy Strait Point are both aiming for the same summer Humpbacks, every trip is different so if this is your priority you should take as many trips as you can fit in. Then in Victoria, if your time in port allows take an Orca-focused tour - use one of the vendors who have Zodiacs as these are fast, so you have the maximum possible chance of being able to reach the pod (all the vendors know where the local resident Orcas are any given day, but if they can't reach them in <90mins they don't even bother trying - so then you have to hope there's a humpback or grey around in range, which is certainly possible in May as some are still on their way up to Alaska and a few have started to hang around near here for the summer instead).

As to clothes - on an open zodiac you'll be given a 'Polar Bear' survival suit to wear, and you'll need it when you're whooshing across the water! Juneau/ISP the whales are so close that boats don't need to be fast, but you do want to be out on deck or opening windows for photos so you want to bring an extra warmth layer - if you're a bit too warm on the bus taking you to the boat, you're probably good for being on the water.

Since you're from Toronto OP, you already have clothing than is more than warm enough - the only question is whether all your good waterproofs are also lined/insulated. If so, you may want to consider an unlined shell - May can be fairly toasty, and it's the statistically-driest month for most of where you're cruising, but it is the PNW so rain is always possible even if it's warm (i.e. heavy coat bad, thin waterproof coat good, just stick on a fleece under it if it's also cold). Don't forget a thin pair of gloves, scarf, and hat - a simple Thinsulate toque that you can roll the scarf & gloves inside takes up very little weight and space, but will make all the difference on glacier viewing days, or if the ship is moving into the wind (thus doubling down on wind chill) and you want to be on deck.

Oh, and sunblock - even if it feels chilly the reflections off the water mean extra sun damage, there's always a lot of lobster-looking passengers after a cool but bright day onboard!

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 2:52 PM, Italy52 said:

In Juneau, we really like Jayleen's Alaska and in Icy Strait, we like Glacier Wind.  Both vendors are well organized and provide an excellent experience.  Here are the links so you can get general information and see reviews.  More reviews can be found in this Alaska thread and in TripAdvisor.

https://jayleensalaska.com/

https://www.g-wind.com/

The key to Alaska clothing is layers as one never knows what type of weather you might encounter.  We have had beautiful sunny days during our whale watching trips and on others, we have encountered rain (from mist to heavier rain).  If you look at the g-wind website I believe there is a detailed write up about what to wear under the Guest Info tab.

I have read some very good reviews on Jayleensalaska.com.  We are trying to see if we can get more people from our roll call to join. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruiser#5 said:

I have read some very good reviews on Jayleensalaska.com.  We are trying to see if we can get more people from our roll call to join. 

We booked Jayleen for our whale watching excursion and booked just the two of us. She will go out if at least 2 people. Ruth

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You're not obsessing. We went on 3 - Harv & Marv's - Juneau, Glacier Wind Charter - Icy Strait, & Major Marine - Seward. For us, the most enjoyable was Glacier Wind Charters. Excellent personal service, great team, very well maintained boats and knowledgeable captains. I shot close to 500 pix from their 33' catamaran, the "Catabatic". Many, many looked similar to

ypYQh4g.jpg

Ki4DBEY.jpg

And the activity sometimes took place within 75 yards of the boat. Layers of clothing with a light weight rainproof jacket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1