Turtle Farm - Please rethink

pxy cda

Having visited, I can confirm the water tanks were small, dirty and stunk to the high heavens.  Turtles were being passed around like a dish at thanksgiving dinner table.  This facility also sells the turtles for meat.  Is this really a facility you wish to visit and support?  They do claim to be a "breeding and research" facility but having visited, surely there is a more humane alternative to this.

See this Interesting article:

In the 2000s, the Cayman Turtle Centre has come under attack from animal welfare and conservation groups who claim the Centre is failing to meet the welfare needs of the animals in its care and poses a threat to wild turtle conservation. International animal protection group, the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) cites poor water quality, overcrowding, unsupervised human handling, heightened levels of disease and congenital defects amongst the captive bred creatures.

Joined in support by the Sea Turtle Conservancy, the world's oldest turtle conservation group, WSPA has launched a campaign to stop the Cayman Turtle Centre from breeding sea turtles for human consumption. Sir Paul McCartney, former member of The Beatles has supported the campaign and urged the Centre to shift towards a more humane, sustainable and profitable alternative.

In the House of Commons, Early Day Motion (EDM) 612 from 2012, entitled "Cayman Turtle Centre" calls on the UK Government to condemn the practices of producing turtle meat for consumption and help assist the Centre in moving towards practices that promote the protection of turtles instead.

The captive breeding programme at the Cayman Turtle Centre has long-since attracted criticism from conservation groups who claim that the centre runs the risk of introducing infectious diseases into the wild by releasing turtles that have been bred in captive conditions.  Experts also claim that programmes of this kind fail to address the root causes of turtle decline and efforts would be better spent tackling illegal poaching – a problem that still continues in the Cayman Islands

• Like 2

The "farm" part is not in the name any more - the place is called the Cayman Turtle Centre to try to emphasize that while they do farm the animals they also do a lot more.

There are many reviews, pro and con, some very..er... selective in what they say. Each visitor needs to make up their own minds after informing themselves of both sides of this.  

One place you can read is the TripAdvisor page on the place, which has 3,000 reviews on it - you can read what different people thought of it and decide for yourself.  At the time of writing this there were 1,861 "Excellent", 1,376 "Very Good", 673 "Average", 229 "Poor", and 176 "Terrible" ratings.  There are also some responses to reviews given by the management of the centre, giving their side of things, too (like why you can no longer pick up the animals, and how 90% of the turtles in the wild around the island had a genetic link to those from the Turtle Centre).  The link is here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1006573-d2173510-Reviews-or5-Cayman_Turtle_Centre_Island_Wildlife_Encounter-West_Bay_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_.html

Be informed, and make choices based on your own values.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did visit there and I can confirm the conditions weren't very humane.  I prefer to support the groups in St Kitts where they have natural habitat area protected and breeding programs.  My post above is to share information and I agree each should make their own decision - but please make an informed decision.

https://www.stkittsturtles.org/

Edited by pxy cda