Which Ko Samui Beach

slgcruise

Hi

My wife and I are in Ko Samui for just one day on the 11 Feb as cruise visitors.

I have been trying to work out which might be the best beach to spend some time at, but there are a lot of contradictory reports.

Would love to visit a clean, picturesque beach.  Don't mind it being a little busy but not mad.

Any recommendations appreciated

Thanks

We went to the Nikki Beach Club & Resort. They don't charge entrance fees or beach chairs or hammocks.  The beach is beautiful and massages in the spa are cheap (and the spa is nice).  You can take a taxi up and back.  We walked outside the port to town to grab a taxi for less than what they charge at the port where your tender gets in.  

The drinks aren't cheap, but they're good.  They also have an outdoor shower to clean off by the beach.  We ate lunch in town from the street vendors back in town.  

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 2:45 PM, hubofhockey said:

We went to the Nikki Beach Club & Resort. They don't charge entrance fees or beach chairs or hammocks.  The beach is beautiful and massages in the spa are cheap (and the spa is nice).  You can take a taxi up and back.  We walked outside the port to town to grab a taxi for less than what they charge at the port where your tender gets in.  

The drinks aren't cheap, but they're good.  They also have an outdoor shower to clean off by the beach.  We ate lunch in town from the street vendors back in town.  

Did many cruise passengers go to Nikki Beach Club & Resort?

10 hours ago, murcor said:

Did many cruise passengers go to Nikki Beach Club & Resort?

I don't know how you would define "many"..  We were on an Azamara cruise and those ships hold 700 passengers.  I would say 6 couples were there.  We had six hours in port and the cruise line ran their own excursion to the W Resort for $159 per person.  $318 per couple for a three hour beach day with lunch seemed crazy to us, so we searched Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor forums  and found Nikki.  Taxis were only $15 each way, if that.  The staff at Nikki is very welcoming and the beach is great.  I would guess the W is somewhat nicer and they do sell day passes for $60 or $70 per person, but they might not be available on days where they have deals with cruise lines.  Also, why pay $70 when you can pay nothing?  

9ACEF616-CF44-4B31-89C5-83947A3B8DBA.jpeg

You should be able to see view your ship from this beach (not this angle).  The water is warm (and clean) and you practically float in this water.  The outdoor shower is near those stairs and the pool is up those stairs to the left.  The spa is a 5-minute walk.  You can get a classic Thai massage for $50 for an hour, high quality setting, nicer rooms than on cruise ship spas.

Edited by hubofhockey

We have stayed on Bhoput, Cheweng, and Lamai.

We did not like Bhoput.   Steep beach.

We liked Chewang and Lamai.  Chewang is the more crowded of the two and the water is calmer.  Bigger waves on Lamai.

There are lots of beach bars/restaurants along Chewang.  Many offer loungers and umbrella for free as long as you buy something.  The prices are fair.  We did this as our hotel was not directly on the beach.  Also, lots of merchants coming along selling wonderful fresh pineapple.  We ate lunch on the beach.  Elderly lady came along with chicken that she broiled on a small brazier, plus a salad.   Same on Lamai but not to the same extent.  No idea what the resorts charge for a day pass as we did not need or want one.  If you are there later in the day Chewang has a great night food market.

These are the only three beaches that we have stayed on or near.  We were doing independent travel, not a cruise.  Thailand is our favourite winter destination....enjoy!

Edited by iancal

On 1/23/2020 at 6:15 AM, hubofhockey said:

I don't know how you would define "many"..  We were on an Azamara cruise and those ships hold 700 passengers.  I would say 6 couples were there.  We had six hours in port and the cruise line ran their own excursion to the W Resort for $159 per person.  $318 per couple for a three hour beach day with lunch seemed crazy to us, so we searched Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor forums  and found Nikki.  Taxis were only $15 each way, if that.  The staff at Nikki is very welcoming and the beach is great.  I would guess the W is somewhat nicer and they do sell day passes for $60 or $70 per person, but they might not be available on days where they have deals with cruise lines.  Also, why pay $70 when you can pay nothing?  

9ACEF616-CF44-4B31-89C5-83947A3B8DBA.jpeg

Thank you for your reply