Maasdam 4 night Cruise up the Pacific

ScottC4746

We booked a cruise for April 2021 in an OV.  We go San Diego-Santa Barbara-Two nights at sea-Vancouver.  We recently upgraded to a Vista Suite.

1. How are cruises this short?  
  2. How is the Maasdam?  It is our 2nd HAL cruise the first on Eurodam.
  3. Did we make a good move to the VS?  While I know we don't get perks like the NS, do we at least get priority boarding?
  4. How often does the upgrade fairy visit even if they charge for the upgrade like a very good upgrade offer?
  5. If we wait until we get to the port and ask at check in, do they do free upgrades then?

7 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:
  • How are cruises this short?  
  • How is the Maasdam?  It is our 2nd HAL cruise the first on Eurodam.
  • Did we make a good move to the VS?  While I know we don't get perks like the NS, do we at least get priority boarding?
  • How often does the upgrade fairy visit even if they charge for the upgrade like a very good upgrade offer?
  • If we wait until we get to the port and ask at check in, do they do free upgrades then?

3.  No you won't get priority boarding with a Vista Suite. 

5.  The only people we know who tried to get an upgrade at embarkation were quoted the full difference between their verandah and the NS.  As to getting upgraded at embarkation,  I haven't heard any reports of that in a number of years though I do recall that is has happened infrequently.

We've done that cruise, or the reverse, several times and enjoyed all of them. Never had any luck in 20 years with upgrade fairy, but I guess anything is possible.

We enjoyed the short cruises, the experience, at least to us, is pretty much that same, just fewer days. Food and service seem the same as did the friendly attitude of the crew. Our last was on the Eurodam last fall and haven't been on the Maasdam in several years.

You generally have good weather along the coast in April, but nothing is certain.

Enjoy the experience.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:31 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Did we make a good move to the VS?  While I know we don't get perks like the NS, do we at least get priority boarding?

No priority boarding as has already been said.

A Vista suite on the Maasdam is basically a verandah category.  You do get double Mariner points for booking that room if that helps.

On the bright side, you will find this room larger than the Verandah on the Eurodam and you may get a call from the upsell fairy for a Neptune suite 😉 (upsell = pay more versus upgrade where it’s free 😉 )