Dolphin Ferry Greece Port

shyla100

Hi all I am needing some advise, as we are on a Med cruise in May and when the boat lands Athens, we are travelling to Spetes  using a Dolphin Hydro ferry.

We are wanting to leave our large bags with a bag storage place at Piraeus , as there is very little room on the Hydro that I can see.

Has anyone used this service and any Idea of the time frame from the cruise line store bags and get to the Ferry ?

There is a Ferry at 9am then as far as I can tell not another till the afternoon.  If anyone has done this before and can give us some idea if the 9am is do able.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:50 PM, shyla100 said:

Hi all I am needing some advise, as we are on a Med cruise in May and when the boat lands Athens, we are travelling to Spetes  using a Dolphin Hydro ferry.

We are wanting to leave our large bags with a bag storage place at Piraeus , as there is very little room on the Hydro that I can see.

Has anyone used this service and any Idea of the time frame from the cruise line store bags and get to the Ferry ?

There is a Ferry at 9am then as far as I can tell not another till the afternoon.  If anyone has done this before and can give us some idea if the 9am is do able.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

We took a Flying Dolphin (Hellenic Seaways) from Piraeus to Aegina after a Seabourn Adriatic cruise in Sept 2018.  That's a different island than you're considering but I think the process would be the same.  Before we left, I emailed the Piraeus Port Authority to ask about luggage storage.  Here's their reply:

Kindly note that we have lockers in the Cruise Terminal A (Miaoulis).

The storage lockers have space for medium sized luggage. Upon arrival you have to insert 3 euros. When you return you have to insert the rest amount so that the locker opens and you can take your luggage. The amount is shown on the window screen.

In the end, we decided to take our luggage with us since we were spending 3 nites on Aegina and going directly from there to Athens airport.  You may want to verify current info about luggage storage at Piraeus: prolp@olp.gr

We self-disembarked the ship a little after 8:00 am and walked from the Piraeus Terminal to the islands ferry dock.  Google maps showed it to be a straight 15-20 min walk but it was about 25-30 min of brisk walking over very uneven sidewalks.  I wouldn't do that again!  Take a taxi.  As we arrived at the dock about 8:30 am, there was a ferry leaving for Aegina so we quickly bought tickets and walked on board.  It was a bit of a scramble with lots of people but we managed to roll our 20" cases onto the ferry.  The ferry was spacious with plenty of room to keep our luggage with us.  I think they had a storage area in the lower deck of the vessel but we didn't use it.

Given our experience, I believe you'd be OK getting a 9:00 am ferry, especially if you self-disembark with minimal luggage and you taxi from Piraeus Terminal to the ferry dock.  Hope this helps!

Hello MightyQuin, what is wonderful information , just what we needed, the only things I would ask you as we are coming from Sydney our bags are two large bags and one roller cabin size.

I would much prefer to take them with us as it would save time both ways.

Also we are booked on a 1pm flight from Athen to Turkey o our return from 3 days on the islands, on your return did you any problem on your return trip?

The only issue would be getting on/off the Flying Dolphin with large luggage, unless you can easily manage to wheel it without assistance.  We found it a bit difficult to maneuver with our small rollaboards, mostly due to the crush of people embarking the ferry at the same time.  But Aegina is a popular day-tripping island and the ferry is always busy so you may not encounter such crowds going to Spetes.  There is luggage storage (unattended) on the lower deck of the ferry right where you enter and you could leave your large cases there.  I didn't see anyone offering assistance so I stress that you should be able to handle your luggage yourself.

On our return from Aegina, we arranged a private transfer to pick us up at the ferry dock in Piraeus and take us to Athens.  We spent the night at the Airport Sofitel and flew home the next day.  I think it would be way too tight to make a 1:00 pm flight out of Athens if you are coming from Spetes on the same day.  All you need is a missed ferry connection or a road accident to ruin your plans!

I second Mighty Quinn's points on luggage on Greek island ferries.

An absolute dog fight.

Firstly forget about any sense of orderly boarding or disembarking. Luggage storage on the ferries is taken up by the first 50 or so who get on. Ferry staff will not offer you any assistance (unless you look like a Supermodel, perhaps) and just laugh at you. If you can not manoeuvre all your stuff, find a storage space in Piraeus port.

Apart from the lockers in the new cruise terminal ( most likely to be taken in summer, and no pre-booking possible) there are a few travel agent / ferry-booking places at the port,  where you can leave your bags.  They are usually for short time and day trippers, but will take your stuff for a few days. Bags will be locked in a room and are safe. ( But I still wouldn't leave my valuables there)

This is our experience with the Ferries to and from the Greek island of Patmos pre Agean Islands Cruise on Odyssey.

Our ferry had a mid night departure, we arrived at Athens airport in the morning, I had booked a day stay in a Pireaus Hotel to rest and refresh. A five minute Taxi ride took us to our ferry. Boarding was orderly and staff were helpful to get our luggage aboard. The lower deck storage racks were manned by staff helping quickly store our luggage. Security staff do man the luggage during the voyage. Disembarkation was similar at Patmos. 

Our return journey Patmos to Pireaus after 6 wonderful days with our Greek friends was also uneventful. Arriving in the morning in Pireaus we spent an overnight in the same comfy little Hotel we stayed in on our first day.The following day boarding Odyssey for 20 days of Seabourn spoiling and beautiful islands. We even re visted our friends for another day on Patmos Port of call.

These ferries have a very quick turn around so available staff do help as they must sail out on time in these busy Ports.

Hello koalapanda,

Thank you very much for your responses much appreciated . If I may ask what part of Ausie do you live in?

Do you remember if the ferry you court was a Dolphin Hydro  speed ferry?

It is just your reply is very different  I thought maybe your ferry was the much larger and longer trips.

All the same I really appreciate the reply.

Hello Shyla, 

You are correct our journey from Pireaus to Patmos was on a Blue Star Ferrie. We have sailed on Dolphin to Hydra for a day trip on a separate visit on a Dolphin Hydrfoil. We were visiting our friends again this time at their Athens home so we had no luggage to handle on the Hydrofoil.There were many tourists aboard with their luggage. There seemed to be no struggle with luggage on and off the Hydro which was filed to capcity. We felt sorry the poor donkeys lugging big suitcases to tiny Hotels on this pretty island.

We are from the beautiful city of Melbourne.

1 hour ago, shyla100 said:

Yes it is I lived there for many years and my family live there.

Shyla first of all forgive my phrasing, but I guess you got my drift. I am still greiving my late cancellation of my Nov '19 cruise on Encore.

Point is we have always had great experiences in Europe over many years folk are always willing to help if you are struggling. A bit like the Aussie spirit eh! ;)

Where are you residing now?

Enjoy Spetses it is a lovely place to visit.

Why the cancellation hope you all are OK, we are based in Sydney . Whats left of it  I think Canberra going down today ?

WE have only a very short time so here goes what I have booked hope you think it is doable.

I have waited for the ferry time table to be released as is has of yesterday.

Disembark from Odyssey about 8 am store large bags at this place online that will also take your bags to the airport from the 

the pier. Just concerned they may not make it.

Catch the 10am ferry to Spetes stay 2 nights,  catch the 6am ferry to Hydra stay that night, catch the 7.20 am ferry back to Athens port, either get the bags or hope they are at the airport. catch a plan to Istanbul at 1.20pm for 4 nights then back to Athen then home.

Hope you think that's do able

Edited by shyla100

Hi Shyla, your itinerary is very hectic but that is my perspective. It seems doable but with some degree of stress. 

I do all our itinerary planning . Panda is an anxious traveller , so every move has to be dovetailed and precise to reduce anxiety.

May I ask have you purchased your airfares yet? Previously we have sailed an Odyssey round trip with Istanbul fly in fly out sector. I chose to stop for a few days pre cruise in Istanbul and do day trips to the Islands post cruise. This settles the luggage problem and still gave us a good taste of the sights and culture of the islands.If you have booked flights then this out of the question.

Our November cruise was cancelled a week prior to sailing as I fell fracturing R radius and Ulnha and L humerus fracture and dislocation. I am recovering after surgery and have my fingers uncomfortably crossed for a Seabourn European summer sailing.

Stay safe in super Sydney.

koala

Hello Koala, Very sorry to read your reply how very disappointing and painful it must have been for you both, please make a quick recovery and hopefully your European summer sailing will make up for all of it.

Shyla