San Juan on Thanksgiving

ugagal07

6 hours ago, ugagal07 said:

We will be in port on Thanksgiving.  Is Thanksgiving celebrated like in the continental US where everything is closed?  What should we be expecting?  In port 7-2.

Given Puerto Rico is a US territory its a national holiday just as it is in the continental US. There will be significant amount of places closed. That being said, the one Thanksgiving I was there for I noticed there were more things open than I would have thought-- mostly restaurants though.

Banks and major historic sights like the Castillo del Morro will be closed as they are run by the National Park Service and observe the holiday. 

The forts will be closed as Thanksgiving is observed as a Federal holiday in PR. That said, you can always have a walk around the outside, especially on the grounds of El Morro. You will find a couple of stores open that day (since PR is also adopting the "pre- Black Friday sales" as well). Also, most of the restaurants will be open. You could make it a beach day and visit La Playuela, right besides the Hilton Condado Plaza in Condado or Isla Verde beach (both a quick Uber or taxi ride away).

Thanks for the replies.  That explains why we are only in port 7-2 that day.  I didn't even consider that when booking last year.  We booked for 2 ports we haven't visited yet, San Juan being one of them. We've missed it a few times due to hurricanes in the past.   We'll just have to plan another cruise to visit the forts. 🙂