Sappire Beach

bmwdod02

I have seen quite a few people suggest Sapphire Beach, so I am trying to get some more info about it. I found somewhere online that a taxi will cost approx. $13 per person. Is this accurate? Also, according to Google Maps it is around a 20 min ride? I see that there is an excursion through Carnival, but it seems like you do not get a whole lot of time actually at the beach. We are in port from 11:30-7 so I am figuring that if we just take a taxi over, we will have multiple hours to spend on the beach. Can anyone confirm how easy it is to get a taxi back to the ship? Also any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

We were just there a couple of weeks ago.  The taxi cost us $20 for 2 or $13 for 1 - lots of taxi's at the pier.  Yes, it is a 20 min ride or so.  It's a nice way to see the island.  Maybe not quite as scenic a drive as going to Magan's bay. 

We wanted a less crowed beach where we could snorkel so we tried Sapphire .  It was very windy and the waves were high on our day, so no snorkeling.  It also had a nice covered bar area when it started to rain.  We had made arrangements for a pickup from our taxi driver, but since it was raining we decided to go back early. 

There were taxi's there waiting, so we took one back to the ship shopping area and this taxi driver notified the other one not to come back for us - easy!    It is a pretty beach with views of St John's, but smallish.   

Yes Sapphire is a beautiful beach to enjoy the day at - gorgeous water colors and island views, the water can be a little rough at times, but is generally very calm. Sapphire is a popular beach like Magens and Coki, but just a nicer experience IMHO. Definitely go on your own, taxis are plentiful and available for your return, $10/pp, 20 - 25 min each way. You can move lounges ($9/ea) away from the main congregation and there is natural shade as well as umbrella rentals now. Also a few snorkel spots, including a seagrass area.

You arrive later in the day so if there are other ships in port it may be busy when you arrive, but those folks will be leaving earlier too...

Sapphire Beach is great!  We've spent several land vacations there and it never disappoints.  The views, the colors of the water, the overall vibe-- wonderful. 

Do allow more than 20-25 minutes for the return trip.  We once got stuck in traffic coming back -- (heard it was a tourist who wrecked a jeep!)  Luckily we were with a friend who lives in STT -- he took a few side roads and we made it back to the ship in plenty of time.  We often wondered if others were as lucky. Enjoy!!

Here are a few photos of Sapphire.  We didnt have great weather - really windy and it started to rain after about 45 minutes.  We did enjoy that there was a lounge area with couches and chairs to sit and enjoy a Painkiller and views  😉 Even nasty days here are beautiful !  It's not large, but it is nice with the views of the islands and St John's

image.thumb.png.7df38393bceee2a11ac17b5779e4519d.png

image.thumb.png.fc4c1abbe7ac899fec07fe6b05734f21.png

The white roof is the bar/lounge area with food and washrooms.

image.thumb.png.1b792f8c901ffb6c5461af985d259b79.png

image.thumb.png.f029c9e143c121f894d3ce8a8cb37d72.png

image.thumb.png.8dbd58b35e2f0c82cd6072d48dda4183.png

image.thumb.png.65d0221c63d83a5a899382dce9adfc6a.png

Thank you for all of the insight and pics! I think we will give it a go. I found a taxi company that will pick our group up at the port and transport us to and from for $20 per person. The only concern I have is I have now read multiple people say that the water can be rough at times. I am going to be watching the forecasts leading up to the cruise. 

The water can be rough in any less-protected bay, forecasts are not worth much as it depends on conditions at that moment. But it’s often very calm here...

If dead calm water is more important than a gorgeous bay take a look at Magens and Secret Harbor...

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

The water can be rough in any less-protected bay, forecasts are not worth much as it depends on conditions at that moment. But it’s often very calm here...

If dead calm water is more important than a gorgeous bay take a look at Magens and Secret Harbor...

The day we were there people on our cruise said it was really windy at Meagan’s bay too.  So, you never know.  

9 hours ago, marysb said:

The day we were there people on our cruise said it was really windy at Meagan’s bay too.  So, you never know.  

Yes but Magens and SH are much more protected and if calm water is your goal they are the best choices...