No Credit Card...Will it work?

Yeah I know yet another question :) I am 21 and going on the NOS on March 4th for a first cruise with a friend from college. I purchased everything on a different friends Credit Card, basically I went to him and gave him 2500 dollars in cash and he made a payment to the card, well I purchased everything on that card. Well then comes my question, is there any way for me to open my seapass account with that credit card as well? He will NOT be with us and I just thought about this...can they call to verify or what not? It is less than a month now and am getting worried. I do NOT have a credit card and I have already put all the money on the Credit card and there are penalties to take that much cash off...I will also be bringing some cash, ANY help is appreciatied!

Thanks,

Jonny

You do not need a credit card. You will have to pay cash up front and when your account gets low you can put more on your account. If your friend agrees to your using his credit card then that should not be a problem as long as he okays for you to sign on the card. He can call the cc company and have you listed as a signer. Truthfully the best thing is pay in advance having a credit on your account before you even get there and then pay cash on the card as your account warrants.

I'm almost sure it the person would have to be there as they do call it in. They actually block off so many dollars a day, which is why we have one cc for seapass and another for everything else. Can he get a card issued in your name against the card and give that card a limit? You would need to do that rather quickly as it takes awhile to get a card even after it's approved.

You can put cash against your seapass.

Now that they have the Set Sail pass which has credit card info on it I am not sure how checking in works but every cruise we have been on they take the card and actually imprint it like the way they use to process Visa's. If the other person has a credit balance since you have paid money he didn't owe there are no fees to get your money back, just takes a phone call to get a return on a credit balance. If they carry a balance maybe a convince check can help you. Sometimes that will carry a $50 fee but that saves you from disaster when you try to check in. Good luck.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I know that you can set up your Sea Pass card with cash advances, but I don't know how RCI would handle the credit card issue for pre-boarding issues. I suggest that you call RCI customer service for an answer. You could have a real problem if you're hundreds of miles from home with limited cash, and the credit card company declines the card because you are not an authorized user.

LL

Wow now I am irritated....thats for the help guys/gals. I called RCI and the lady on the phone answered with "I don't know" "Do you want me to go ask someone?" Hmmm let me think...nah I just wanted to chat with you :) YES I want you to please check :).

She came back and informed that you may NOT use ANY credit card unless it is one of the guests on the accounts credit card. This puzzles me sort of :) so I ask "Well what happens if some family member wanted to buy you an all inclusive cruise including your onboard account for your honeymoon (an example)?" She answered with "We will not allow that, they can only pay for the cruise, NOT the onboard expense account"

Hmm well its no big deal, I am just going to have him take out the 1000$ and put it into his Checking account until March 4th...should not be a problem :(

Thanks,

Jonny

Oh I have an idea, call Royal back and see if he can call and add cash to your seapass account. Never done this myself but hear others talking about it on the board. Then when you get there the $1,000 is already prepaid so I would think there would be no trouble checking in.

BonVoyage

Dawna

She came back and informed that you may NOT use ANY credit card unless it is one of the guests on the accounts credit card. This puzzles me sort of :) so I ask "Well what happens if some family member wanted to buy you an all inclusive cruise including your onboard account for your honeymoon (an example)?" She answered with "We will not allow that, they can only pay for the cruise, NOT the onboard expense account"

Jonny

Know it's no fun, call back. I know people add money to the seapasses all the time, think there is even a form online for it.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You will actually have to have the card with you at check in. Even with the Set Sail Pass, to activate the seapass account, they had to swipe each of our cards. The difference in other family members paying for other people's accounts is that the person with the credit card is there to swipe the card and sign that they are agreeing to cover the other people's charges.

We just got back from Navigator and used cash. When you do your online registration, you can say cash will be used for your payment. When you get on the boat, go to the pursers desk and give them some. When you get down to around $100, they will come get you for more. We loved the cash way of doing things...no interest, and at the end of the cruise, we got our extra money back, and also, we kept better tabs on what we were spending.

Oh I have an idea, call Royal back and see if he can call and add cash to your seapass account. Never done this myself but hear others talking about it on the board. Then when you get there the $1,000 is already prepaid so I would think there would be no trouble checking in.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yes he can do this. Just have your friend call RCI and tell them he wants to add however much money to your cabin account. He will need your name and reservation number to do it. Then when you go to check in you won't need cash or a credit card. If you use more than what is on your account, you can pay it in cash at that time.

I agree with FitzLA. It is best, and easiest, to use your own credit card. You should be able to get one if your parents (grandparents? aunt? uncle? cousin?) will cosign for you. We did that for our son when he got his first "real" summer job at 16, to enable him to get his own credit card issued in his own name and establish credit at a young age. We called the company that issued our major credit card, and they set it up for him very quickly, with no problem since we were the cosigners and our credit rating was excellent.

The important thing is to make sure you always make payments on time. Then you will establish a good credit rating that will help you in the future when you want to buy a car or a home. It is a good idea always to put all major purchases on a credit card because the credit card company will protect you if you ever have a problem with a vendor. Also, having a credit card makes reserving a hotel room or rental car a lot easier. The best way to keep out of trouble and avoid finance charges is to pay off the balance in full each month.

Have a great cruise!

You have plenty of time for your friend to purchase onboard credit in any amount you choose. They can use their credit card to pay for this (I guess use the $ you already gave them for the credit card:confused: ). Put enough credit on the seapass for the week, watch what you spend and you will get the balance (if any) back in the amount of a check the last morning. Or, you will have to put up more cash onboard if the account gets too low, they will not allow you purchases if you don't have enough funds, or a credit card on file, to cover it.

I have to say, I've never heard of such trusting friends as to let another use their credit card, or one who just gives another cash to pay towards their card.

You should really get your own credit card, 21 years old is plenty old enough to start a credit history.

HAHA you people are making me out to be a leper here...I have PLENTY of credit here guys. I work for a major .com in the Seattle Washington area, I simply do not like nor want credit cards. I will use the cash idea...think it will suit me best. Thanks for all the input.

Archived