NCL Encore Daily Review "LIVE" With Freestyle Dailies

tx121

Weird question here, but I'm a big water drinker and tend to just fill up a reusable bottle. Whats the situation by the water machines now with the enhanced sanitation procedures, can I just grab a bunch of cups off a tray or do they fill each up one at a time and hand it to you. 

5 hours ago, tx121 said:

Update: 

It seems like they have opened the smoking section on Deck 16 earlier today. We ported in San Juan around 4:45pm and people were there. The pool deck was mostly empty at this point, so they may have opened it earlier. It may have been open all day but I didn't notice.

20200204_155802.jpg

Hi,

Do you know if cigars are allowed in this area?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, CactusRoot said:

This Live Report is very Thorough. Thank You!

Questions...

What is the Vibe Passes? Is that the big slide?

Are the extra Food & Drink taxes while in Port that you mention for only Puerto Rico?

Are the beds comfortable?

Is there space in the bathroom for extra items we need to bring?

Based on your report it looks like there is plenty of Entertainment on the Ship and the Menu's look decent.

I suppose our Alaskan Cruise on the Sun will be a bit different at the Pools.

This will be one of many, many cruise we have taken and we have seen a lot of changes over the years. Some of what you mention seem normal anymore like saving chairs, crowds, no crowds, etc.

Thanks.

Vibe is an adults only sun deck area. There is an extra charge for this area. Since you will be doing a Alaska cruise, there will be no need for this area.

San Juan was our first port. I have not purchased anything yet while we are docked here in Tortola, so I am not sure if taxes apply here.

The beds are comfortable enough here on the Encore.

The Sun will be a much different experience than these Mega Ships. You should not run in to any problems like you would on this ship. 

As far as the bathroom situation, when we were on the Sun, we were upgraded to really nice suite that had a bathtub and all. So I can say there was plenty of storage in the bathroom suite. I booked a balcony guarantee and was given a huge suite! Sometimes you just get lucky!👍

Yes the cruise industry has changed A LOT over the years for sure!

Edited by tx121

4 hours ago, Broopa said:

Weird question here, but I'm a big water drinker and tend to just fill up a reusable bottle. Whats the situation by the water machines now with the enhanced sanitation procedures, can I just grab a bunch of cups off a tray or do they fill each up one at a time and hand it to you. 

The enhanced sanitation situation has now been suspended.  However,  when it was enforced, the drinks station was still self service. You will manually get your drinks. They do not put them out on the trays.

Edited by tx121

4 hours ago, mdchachi said:

If you get a chance could you give a rough count on the green tag machines in the arcade? And maybe a picture or two of the area. These are the ones that are covered by the $160 arcade pass. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth getting. 

Also if you happen to meet anybody who did the escape room I’m interested to hear their feedback. Early reports said there were some technical issues but I haven’t heard anything recently. 

Thank you!

There are a total of 12 games with green light. Most of them being simulator rides or shooting games. The other games that are not included are games where you win prizes

20200205_150656.jpg

20200205_150625.jpg

20200205_150547.jpg

20200205_150513.jpg

Edited by tx121

3 hours ago, crusintime123 said:

Hi,

Do you know if cigars are allowed in this area?

Thanks.

I asked the bartender across from this area if cigars are allowed. He said no but I have seen people smoke cigars there as well. I guess it is not enforced. It seems like this section is now open all day.

@tx121Thank you so much for the spa daily deals!!!!! I am so enjoying reading along on your trip & appreciate you taking the time to pass these on to me. Looks like you're having a great time, I can't wait to board in 3 months (feels like forever!!) Enjoy the remainder of your cruise, and again, thanks for taking us along & helping out with the info 😊

• Like 1

Can you explain how the pricing for the Laser Tag and Race Track work?  We are taking the Encore to Bermuda with our 3 teens this summer.  I know you said there is an unlimited week long pass for $199.  Is there a day pass as well?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, minorad said:

Can you explain how the pricing for the Laser Tag and Race Track work?  We are taking the Encore to Bermuda with our 3 teens this summer.  I know you said there is an unlimited week long pass for $199.  Is there a day pass as well?

Thanks!!

47FC9FA1-BA94-40D8-BACB-B975B2560E0F.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mdchachi said:

Thank you. !

I just realized there are more games at the Local Pub area. There are actually 8 more games there with the green light. So there are 20 games total.Here are some of the games at the Local.

20200205_192459.jpg

20200205_192511.jpg

20200205_192506.jpg

20200205_192502.jpg

5 hours ago, tx121 said:

The enhanced sanitation situation has now been suspended.  However,  when it was enforced, the drinks station was still self service. You will manually get your drinks. They do not put them out on the trays.

So are the buffets back to usual self-serve across the NCL fleet or just Encore??? Leaving in 2 days and would love for it all to be back to normal!!! We'll be on Getaway.

Edited by liene

6 minutes ago, liene said:

So are the buffets back to usual self-serve across the NCL fleet or just Encore??? Leaving in 2 days and would love for it all to be back to normal!!! We'll be on Getaway.

I dont know if other ships have suspended the self service ban as well. We thought it was silly that they would serve the food but not serve the drinks if they really wanted to take precautions. It was kind of counter productive. 

I agree with you. It is much better to serve yourself. Hopefully it goes back to normal for your cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

@tx121Thank you so much for the spa daily deals!!!!! I am so enjoying reading along on your trip & appreciate you taking the time to pass these on to me. Looks like you're having a great time, I can't wait to board in 3 months (feels like forever!!) Enjoy the remainder of your cruise, and again, thanks for taking us along & helping out with the info 😊

You're so welcome! Glad you are enjoying. I know how you feel.Your cruise cant come soon enough! Lol!

Here are the spa specials in St Thomas

20200205_215412.jpg

20200205_215230.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I have read others’ reports on CC about passengers sleeping on the couches in the Observation Lounge during the day. 

Have you noticed people laying on the couches taking a day time nap there ?

Yes there are some people who do end up falling asleep in the Observation Lounge. You will hear the occasional loud snore but it is then silenced by someone nudging their companion. 🤣

Day 4- Tortola, BVI

20200205_224259.thumb.jpg.c9b20bc4ead8b815ae5a65fc69c1953c.jpg

We were very excited to visit a new port today, Tortola! There were many places that we considered going to in the BVI like the Virgin Gorda, The Baths, Jost Van Dyke, etc.

We decided to wing it and see what was available at the pier. There were several options offered by the taxi services:

1) 2 hour Island Tour - $20pp

2) 3 hour Island Tour with Beach- $25pp

3) Cane Garden Bay Beach- $16pp round trip

4)Long Bay Beach -$24pp round trip

Since we have never been to the BVI, we decided on doing the 3 hour island tour with beach stop at Cane Garden Bay. For $25, I thought this was a great deal. We hopped in to a open air safari style truck and started the tour by driving around downtown. Our driver/tour guide gave us information about the island, its history, its residents, etc. If you decide to do this tour, sit on the left side as there are more photo opportunities than sitting on the right side. Unfortunately we were sitting on the right side but we were still able to get some nice pictures. 

20200205_113822.thumb.jpg.2c8e86703617c0a0d67f74c07624f42d.jpg20200205_131308.thumb.jpg.9146f6c033ed441e7c72fcb5b63efeb1.jpg

After about 1.5 hour drive, we arrived at Cane Garden Bay Beach. It is a nice beach area that has some amenities like restaurants, bars, rest rooms and changing areas. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available for $10 per person. We had 1 hour at the beach but if you wanted more time, you could let the driver know and then make it back to the ship on another taxi for an extra $8 per person. 

Cane Garden Bay is a nice beach. It does not feel too over crowded and you dont have to deal with people coming up to you to buy things. It was a pleasant beach, a little touristy but fine.

20200205_123725.thumb.jpg.5a7af3d51b13e9d6b7488eb7200b794c.jpg20200205_123746.thumb.jpg.9f5eb592c21812f87c3c9be19ec1c04a.jpg20200205_123919.thumb.jpg.4f9708faba3ef530f04c252ed43760fb.jpg20200205_125819.thumb.jpg.1bedaa9b4a1f26337dc0c12ca2b77971.jpg

20200205_124020.thumb.jpg.e856c46a4ee48b6daf5f7f997bd0e392.jpg

When it was time to go, we hopped in the truck and headed back to the pier. It was a very nice day and we thought that the Island Tour with beach was exactly what we were looking for for our first visit. When we arrived back at the pier, we talked with someone who went to Long Bay Beach. They said it was beautiful and not crowded at all. So if you are looking for a quieter beach day, Long Bay will be your best bet. 

We went straight back to the ship for lunch and then headed to the pool deck for some more sun and swimming. 

We watched the sailaway and then headed back to the room to get cleaned up and take a nap after a nice day in port. 

Tonight for dinner we went to Teppanyaki. We thoroughly enjoyed the show and the food was amazing! We had the filet and shrimp combination. It came with fried rice, vegetables, miso soup and seaweed salad. It was all delicious! Best meal we have had on the ship so far! 

We stopped by the Silent Disco which was fun! It is a must do activity. Too bad it was only scheduled for 45 minutes. 

Well tomorrow we will be in St Thomas! Stay tuned!

Edited by tx121
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, tx121 said:

I just realized there are more games at the Local Pub area. There are actually 8 more games there with the green light. So there are 20 games total.Here are some of the games at the Local.

Oh wow, thanks again.  If so I'm leaning on getting the arcade pass. $160 is a lot of money but there's six of us so I think we could get our money's worth. 

I just noticed in that sign I posted it said that the SR3 Radical VR experience is not included in the $8 rate. Do you happen to know how much that one is?

1 hour ago, tx121 said:

Well tomorrow we will be in St Thomas! Stay tuned!

Did you know that your itinerary would be different than the normal one (which is St Thomas before Tortola) when you booked?  Did they say why they did that?  I assume you won't be going to Great Stirrup Cay?

Great review!  Will be on the Encore in 2 weeks and was planning on going to Cane Garden Beach...your pictures have convinced me this is the right choice.  I appreciate the photo of the food menu also.  Do you know if they only took cash or were credit cards accepted for the food and drinks?  Just want to be prepared either way. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mdchachi said:

Did you know that your itinerary would be different than the normal one (which is St Thomas before Tortola) when you booked?  Did they say why they did that?  I assume you won't be going to Great Stirrup Cay?

I chose this itinerary because it stopped in Tortola for the full day. Also the pricing was better for this cruise than other weeks around this time. 

I have been to St Thomas many times, so I didnt mind if it was only half a day. 

Yes we will be going to Great Stirrup Cay as well on Day 7 8am-5pm

I will check the pricing for you today for the VR game.

Edited by tx121
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Great review!  Will be on the Encore in 2 weeks and was planning on going to Cane Garden Beach...your pictures have convinced me this is the right choice.  I appreciate the photo of the food menu also.  Do you know if they only took cash or were credit cards accepted for the food and drinks?  Just want to be prepared either way. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I'm glad you are enjoying the review! 

The menu I posted was for the beach bar and grill. They only accepted cash. 

Even though it's the British Virgin Islands, they use the US dollar.

The restaurant in the picture is called Pusser's at Myett. They serve local island food and pizza.

Edited by tx121
  • Like 2