Bands are your keys

garymfreedman

I love this idea and think that it is so much better than having to carry around a card. I haven't been on another ship that is using this type of system so I am excited to actually find out how it works.  I don't know about the mailing them in advance.  I can see where that could be tricky for some, but it could also speed up the boarding process for those who do receive their bracelets.

13 minutes ago, flgrl67 said:

I don't know about the mailing them in advance.  I can see where that could be tricky for some, but it could also speed up the boarding process for those who do receive their bracelets.

On our last Celebrity Cruise, we checked in via the app before we boarded. At the port they just had to scan the barcode on our phone to let us on board, then our key cards were waiting for us at the cabin. Took 5 minutes to board and get our keys. I know other lines are experimenting with this same type of boarding. This is where I think Virgin could go with these bracelets. Check In via app, board the ship and get your bracelet at your cabin. 

And the best part about the Celebrity process (at least on the ships that have been updated to have it) is that you can stop by your cabin and drop off your carry-on luggage and then go off to explore the ship while the stewards continue the cleaning process.  

7 hours ago, creativegenius said:

On our last Celebrity Cruise, we checked in via the app before we boarded. At the port they just had to scan the barcode on our phone to let us on board, then our key cards were waiting for us at the cabin. Took 5 minutes to board and get our keys. I know other lines are experimenting with this same type of boarding. This is where I think Virgin could go with these bracelets. Check In via app, board the ship and get your bracelet at your cabin. 

One of the tasks at Check-in is registering a Credit Card. Under your system on Celebrity, did you register a CC online or see Reception  once on board?

31 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

One of the tasks at Check-in is registering a Credit Card. Under your system on Celebrity, did you register a CC online or see Reception  once on board?

You put in your CC info Either online or using the phone app.

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

Online in our Profile prior to boarding.  We also uploaded photos of ourselves so they were already in the system. It was a complete breeze both embarkation and disembarkation. 

1 hour ago, creativegenius said:

Online in our Profile prior to boarding.  We also uploaded photos of ourselves so they were already in the system. It was a complete breeze both embarkation and disembarkation. 

Sounds super cool process. Which ship in Celebrity fleet are you referring to?

Just now, younglegend said:

Love the bands. It also mentions the band is how they know where you are for delivery, which is great, but also means they can track your exact location at all times throughout the ship. Not sure how I feel about that.

All of the other cruise lines apps collect the same info, though I guess it's different since you don't have a choice with the band

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

All of the other cruise lines apps collect the same info, though I guess it's different since you don't have a choice with the band

Do you mean the other cruise lines can track your location on the ship by GPSing your room key card?

On 2/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, pcalv said:

Sounds super cool process. Which ship in Celebrity fleet are you referring to?

It was the Equinox out of the Ft. Lauderdale, though I think the experience was more through the Port than it was that particular ship.  Celebrity has completely renovated that Terminal and it's well set up now for digital entry / exit.  

On 2/7/2020 at 5:26 PM, younglegend said:

Love the bands. It also mentions the band is how they know where you are for delivery, which is great, but also means they can track your exact location at all times throughout the ship. Not sure how I feel about that.

I'm not a tech expert, so if one is reading this, then further enlighten us...

but I believe this is RFID technology.  Chances are there's a passive RFID Chip (meaning no power) in the bracelet, similar to what's in a passport or passport card.  When the chip comes within close enough range to a reader, it can be identified, such as holding it close to the cabin door lock mechanism.  

Passport cards and Global Entry cards, which both have RFID chips, come with a foil-lined card holders which defeats RFID readers.

So to remain incognito on board, simply wrap it in a strip of aluminum foil.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kesali said:

Those are at least twice as thick as I thought they would be based on the first photos.  I'm not sure how comfortable they will be after all.  I wonder how heavy they will feel.

At least they look a lot less obnoxious than Magic Bands or WOW bands.

But yeah, a little chunky.

5 hours ago, garymfreedman said:

Good job on the pic!  I have not seen this answered: They couldn't send all those bands to everyone, as that would be a waste-So how do we get the bands to go on the electronic device? I know, I can wait one month to find out, but who wants to wait?..

They have said on Instagram that one band is Rockstar and one is all other. They haven't said which one, but my guess would be black is Rockstar.

• Like 1

I would rather have something on my wrist. Like someone else mentioned, I can only wear superlight things on my neck, and I was in perpetual fear of losing my card. I had managed to get a ring/card attachment for my cell phone case and kept it there, since I knew I was always going to be having my phone with me.

31 minutes ago, ladytimedramon said:

I would rather have something on my wrist. Like someone else mentioned, I can only wear superlight things on my neck, and I was in perpetual fear of losing my card. I had managed to get a ring/card attachment for my cell phone case and kept it there, since I knew I was always going to be having my phone with me.

Yeah I always just put my card in my pocket but I'm always paranoid about losing it. These are convenient and actually somewhat stylish compared to the bands from RC and Disney.

Wow those actually look nice. I'd like the additional option of the smartphone that Kwokpot posted as well, but I'd definitely prefer a bracelet over a card. I can't tell you how many times I've lost my card on various voyages. At least a bracelet will be stuck to my arm and can't just be put down. I assume the bracelet would then work for beverage payments in bars as well?

If the black band is for suites, I may need to upgrade after all 😉

Edited by 70KToM