Nationwide Cruise Choice

Anet01

I purchased Nationwide Cruise Choice policy with CFAR today for a cruise this summer in Europe. (Have 10 days I review it) I picked it because it was the only insurance with cancel for any reason and preexisting condition Waiver  Available if purchased before final payment. I am trying to figure out if it will cover us medically? There is no mention of pandemic or epidemic in the exclusions, so does that mean we would be covered? This is all so confusing! 

Edited by Anet01
  • Like 1

I do not know the answer, but based on things I have read, I would definitely call whoever you bought the policy from and ask them the question.  You may also ask them to point out any relevant sections in the policy. If you did not buy directly from Nationwide, I would also call Nationwide and ask them the same questions.  The reason I say both, is I recently found a different Nationwide policy that seemed to meet my very specific needs.  I called one of the brokers that sells the policy and is frequently mentioned on this forum to ask a question.  Unfortunately after pulling up the policy they gave me the conservative but wrong answer.  When I called Nationwide directly they were able to give me a straightforward direct answer without pulling up anything, because they were totally familiar with their policy.

Back to your question.  If you contact coronavirus while on your trip, and you bought the policy after the epidemic was declared (1/20/20) there is a good chance the policy will not cover your medical expenses. If they say it will, you might want to get it in writing. If you search the internet you will find a handful of general information. For example AARP says "If you get sick while you're traveling, from the coronavirus or any other illness, most basic travel insurance plans include medical care and coverage if your sickness requires you to cut your trip short, as long as you bought your insurance before an epidemic has been declared. ".

I know of several policies (not Nationwide) that will exclude coverage even though I do not see pandemic/epedimic exclusions in the online policy documents.  Perhaps the exclusions are in there, but are written in a way that most mortals cannot understand.  Good luck, and please let us know what you find out.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

I called and talked to the Nationwide claims department who reviewed the policy. She said that we would be covered medically if we were to need medical care during our trip. There are no pandemic/epidimic exclusions in the policy documents. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anet01 said:

I called and talked to the Nationwide claims department who reviewed the policy. She said that we would be covered medically if we were to need medical care during our trip. There are no pandemic/epidimic exclusions in the policy documents. 

I'd hope that when you spoke to them that you fully documented this conversation. Date; Time; name; possibly employee number and maybe even got a written copy of that explanation.

If push comes to shove, without this, it's he said she said.

No, I don't trust the corporate world when it comes to their taking care of me vs. themselves.

Edited by klfrodo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 6:53 AM, Anet01 said:

I purchased Nationwide Cruise Choice policy with CFAR today for a cruise this summer in Europe. (Have 10 days I review it) I picked it because it was the only insurance with cancel for any reason and preexisting condition Waiver  Available if purchased before final payment. I am trying to figure out if it will cover us medically? There is no mention of pandemic or epidemic in the exclusions, so does that mean we would be covered? This is all so confusing! 

I’m currently leaning toward a Nationwide cruise insurance policy for our family due to the pre-existing condition waiver.  We have always purchased travel insurance when we cruise, but as my husband and I have gotten older, we are finding all of the “extra” coverage options to be really important for us.  

Im new to the whole insurance for a trip.  

Ive been reading its hard to get the pre-existing condition waiver.  However, most of the policies Im receiving quotes for have the pre-existing waiver included if you buy within 24 hours, 14 and/or 21 days. 

I just had to do deposit & final payment all on the same day due to  buying on Feb 10 for a cruise April 11, 2020. 

So my assumption (which I will call and confirm before I buy) is that if I buy in accordance to what Im reading for this Worldwide policy is, as long as I buy the insurance within 21 days, the pre-existing waiver will be granted. 

Am I reading this information incorrectly - Is that what others have typically found to be the case? 

TIA

7 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

Ive been reading its hard to get the pre-existing condition waiver.  However, most of the policies Im receiving quotes for have the pre-existing waiver included if you buy within 24 hours, 14 and/or 21 days. 

I just had to do deposit & final payment all on the same day due to  buying on Feb 10 for a cruise April 11, 2020. 

So my assumption (which I will call and confirm before I buy) is that if I buy in accordance to what Im reading for this Worldwide policy is, as long as I buy the insurance within 21 days, the pre-existing waiver will be granted. 

Am I reading this information incorrectly - Is that what others have typically found to be the case? 

It looks like you understand completely.  Most comprehensive third party policies offer the waiver of pre-existing conditions if you buy within x days (typically 14-21) of making your initial trip deposit and you are able to travel when you purchase the policy.  So it is not hard to get. Some policies actually let you purchase up to final payment date (in your case both dates are the same). Also many policies require you to insure the full pre-paid non-refundable cost of your trip in order to qualify.  

If you are looking at Travel Insured WTP then it is 21 days and full pre-paid non-refundable cost of your trip. If it is another plan, then be sure to confirm before your purchase.  Don't forget that taxes/port fees are usually refundable.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nationwide cruise-specific family of policies (Choice Cruise, Luxury Cruise, etc.) are different.  You have to purchase the policy ON or BEFORE the date of final payment to get the Pre-existing conditions waiver.  So if you book a last-minute cruise and make the final payment on the day you book it, you have to purchase the insurance on the same day to get pre-existing conditions coverage.  Other policies, including some from Nationwide, that are not cruise-specific, allow you to purchase after the final payment.