QM2 - CPAP unit and distilled water

mygreyhound66

Good day everyone!  we are embarking our first Cunard crossing June 7th.  We are experienced cruisers, just Cunard newbies!  I have carefully combed many pages of information and I carefully selected a sheltered balcony to enjoy the balcony despite any weather!

My question lays with the CPAP and provided distilled water - does Cunard provide the distilled water if I notify/request them ahead of time?  I ask since this will make me have to go out of my way on embarkation day to purchase it, most other cruise lines that we have sailed simply provide it.  So any recent experience would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.

Yes, Cunard will provide distilled water for use in a CPAP machine. You may request it ahead of time from Cunard Customer Service when you notify them that you are bringing a CPAP machine on board. However, I haven't always had the distilled water waiting for me when I board. I've had better luck simply requesting it from my cabin steward when I meet him/her upon embarkation. This is a common request for them and they are always happy to oblige.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear from what I stated above, Cunard does request that you notify them ahead of time that you are bringing a CPAP machine on board. Usually a member of the crew will stop by your cabin on embarkation day to check your machine for electrical safety.

Edited by bluemarble

The Cunard UK FAQ does indeed state "You must provide your own distilled water." It also states "All guests taking electrical medical equipment on board will be required to take their own extension lead with them."

Several times upon embarkation when I mentioned to my steward that I have a CPAP machine, he/she has immediately asked me without any prompting whether I needed distilled water and an extension lead. I bring my own extension lead specifically made for my CPAP machine, so I decline that offer. But I do request distilled water and am always provided it without hesitation.

The last time I called Cunard Customer Service to inform them that I was bringing a CPAP machine on board, the phone representative asked me, again without any prompting, whether I would like to request distilled water.

I think we can conclude this is one of those cases where the FAQ states one thing but the reality on board is a bit different.

• Like 1

But do think it would be wise to contact Cunard and confirm that they are taking a CPAP machine and ask about distilled water so it can be confirmed. Dont want mygreyhound66 to get onboard expecting distilled water to be provided after listening to people on here of their past experiences to be told that they dont provide it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update. I just phoned Cunard US customer service to notify them I was bringing a CPAP machine on our upcoming QM2 voyage this June (per Cunard's policies). As with my previous experiences, the customer service representative asked me if I wanted distilled water and an extension cord.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 10:41 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's an update. I just phoned Cunard US customer service to notify them I was bringing a CPAP machine on our upcoming QM2 voyage this June (per Cunard's policies). As with my previous experiences, the customer service representative asked me if I wanted distilled water and an extension cord.

Thanks for posting this. I had the same question.

With current medical conditions/rules recently changed for those that travel in the near future with Cunard due to Coronavirus it might be wise to contact Cunard for recent rules as the reply to this thread is from over 12 months ago and they might have changed since.