02/09/20 Regal Princess - Live From The Vow Renewal Cruise

seagypsea

Jamaica Mon!

We're getting ready to leave shortly so I'll see what I can get in before that.

If I had to give today stars I'd be at a lost.

First of all this was our first trip into the port of Ocho Rios.  8 Rivers my Sis tells me.  🙂   I had flown into OR 30 years ago to a resort and it was wonderful. As a cruise port... it needs to be better.  It's an afterthought as far as I'm concerned.  Not really industrial but not pretty. 

So, as a port I'll give it a "1" because we docked safely and returned safely.

We (our friends travelling with us) booked the Jewel Dunns River Resort through Resort for a Day.  Our instructions were that the driver would meet us 45 minutes after we arrived... whenever that was... not when we were scheduled.  So we arrived some time after 7 and we're due for an 8 arrival.  We walked off the ship around 8:30 and headed down the pier, turned right and fought our way through the gauntlet of folks on Princess tours.  Our instructions said to meet on the other side of the International Building and look for the a Resort for a Day sign.   No No No... there is no International Building.  It's a parking lot full of buses.  So I'm telling you should you find yourself in this situation... find the people in the yellow shirts!  All the way at the end before you get to the street.  Look for the ladies with clipboards.  And, this is not just for Resort for a Day but for anyone not doing a ship tour but who had booked a private tour.  They are in control.  

We stood in the hot sun for over an hour while tours came and went.  We were not happy.  Finally we were told to follow the guide and we crossed the street and boarded a Greyhound type bus with wonderful air conditioning and things got better from there.  There are 3 different Resort for a Day options and we were all on the same bus.  Our return pickup time was 3 and our on board time was 3:30.  A little disconcerning due to the traffic on the other side of the road but we were assured it wouldn't be there upon our return... and it wasn't.  We actually came back on an "open" air type bus.

We had an orientation with Sophia and she is delightful!  We had to sign a paper, she put a wristband on us, we went to the front desk and paid and we were off.  There was not an abundance of chairs and we walked almost as far as we could and chose chairs around a table under a covered pavilion surrounded by a pool.  It was drizzling but cleared up within the hour.  Guests staying there were arriving all day and there were no chairs  They were told they had sent someone to acquire chairs and they would be there shortly and they were.  

It was very windy all day so the beach was stirred up.  It was very shelly and had a drop off.  I tried twice to get in and chose not to, so spent most of the day in the pool.  The pavilion where we were camped had a bar but we found out it wasn't staffed until after 6.

The bathrooms near us flooded and we had to go into the main building.

The food was not that great.  I had a hamburger which was chargrilled and tasted like Burger King.  Fries were the frozen kind.  DH got jerk chicken and he loved it... me not so much.  Out of 4 bars only 2 were open. There were servers but they seemed to avoid us... the ones with the wristbands. The guys went for pizza and 20 min turned into 40 or so.  They brought back 3 different kinds and they were all..... not so good.

Overall I enjoyed myself.  I floated around in the pool most of the day and walked around.  Would I go back?  Nope!...not on a day pass... not on a direct trip.

P1020405 (2).JPG

P1020409 (2).JPG

P1020413 (2).JPG

P1020419 (2).JPG

17 hours ago, yoyosma said:

I see the photos of Captain Stubbing and Vickie - looks like fun - but not any of you?  Did you post them elsewhere?  I'll go check Facebook.  I have tried to stay off of Facebook because I have become obsessed with what is happening to Diamond Princess and the coronna virus in general.  

Congrats on making the world's record.  

And your day at PC sounds nearly perfect.  

I figured there was something wrong with your door. I'm glad you got it fixed.  It will make a difference.  One of these days I want to try one of the cabins like you have now.  I think I  might enjoy them.  If you haven't already asked, don't worry about it.  I won't really cancel my cruise over it.  I got a nice email from Doug today, he had done some research regarding the doors for me.

Sorry about the Sabatini's disappointment.  I've never been a huge fan of it, but we did a special dinner a few years ago and it was superb.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I forgot what they called it.  

Adele, nice to hear from you.  Can't wait to get the email.  I have a new email address, when I read the one you are sending I will tell you what the new one is.  I guess I should update my signature.  

Diann, enjoy the rest of your cruise.  I'm still following.  

Oh, I see my signature is already updated.  

I thought I sent you a picture directly... let me know if I didn't.

I did go down to Guest Services this morning before our excursion for another reason and I said... I'm thinking about booking one of the obs. balconies on M or L but I've heard they lock them down.  He explained speaking for the Regal (Royal class) only that the ship is divided up into 7 sections.  Starting from the front and coming around the side to where we are is Section 1.  We're in the wind section.  The wind causes issues at high speed.  They do NOT ever lock down the balcony doors.

It causes problems when guests try to open them when the ship is in motion.  Either you can't because of the wind friction, or some other passenger has opened theirs and it causes a suction on your cabin door and your can't get it open (ask Adelle as she experienced that).  They now have notices on the doors asking you not to open them when the ship is in motion.  It's all voluntary.  If you have a door open and it's causing other passengers problems you will get a knock on your door telling you to close the balcony door... although he said really it's up to each ship how to handle it.

I can tell you about 10 or so cabins down there's a loud sucking noise coming from one of the cabins.  It's been there the whole cruise.  I don't know if they are keeping their balcony door open or if there's another problem.  I do know that I'm happy not to be next to them.

Morale of the story for me is... I'm going to be booking mid-ship or aft from now on... which is what I have always done... I only switched up because of the excellent price on a deluxe balcony.  Love the sofa in the room and large balcony... BUT have not been able to enjoy it much.

21 hours ago, The Bun Mom said:

OMG!!!!    L*O*V*E   THE PHOTOS!!!!! :classic_love:

You must have been in an awesome location to grab those pix! (Or were they taken from the MUTS screen, perhaps?)  Golly, Di, what a blast this must have been!!!. Thinking about you guys all day today, so am thrilled to see your awesome pix of "Capt Steubing & Vickie".

And was that certificate something ship will display, or was it perhaps something every couple receives?

Also, thanx for the emailed great shot of you & G all dressed up for the event -- terrific dress, girl! :classic_biggrin:

(And hi to Liz!!! "You'll have mail" -- but a little later this evening!)

Hey Adelle!

Yes we were in an awesome location!  I took lots of pics hoping to get some good ones.  We're told that we will have a photo opportunity on the last cruise day with Gavin and Vickie.  Looking forward to that and hoping it's not a "zoo".  We need to go down and look through pics.  They actually took quite of few of G and I during our vows (I was bawling) and when we were dancing.  I'm sure those were all pretty.  🙄

5 hours ago, seagypsea said:

I thought I sent you a picture directly... let me know if I didn't.

I did go down to Guest Services this morning before our excursion for another reason and I said... I'm thinking about booking one of the obs. balconies on M or L but I've heard they lock them down.  He explained speaking for the Regal (Royal class) only that the ship is divided up into 7 sections.  Starting from the front and coming around the side to where we are is Section 1.  We're in the wind section.  The wind causes issues at high speed.  They do NOT ever lock down the balcony doors.

It causes problems when guests try to open them when the ship is in motion.  Either you can't because of the wind friction, or some other passenger has opened theirs and it causes a suction on your cabin door and your can't get it open (ask Adelle as she experienced that).  They now have notices on the doors asking you not to open them when the ship is in motion.  It's all voluntary.  If you have a door open and it's causing other passengers problems you will get a knock on your door telling you to close the balcony door... although he said really it's up to each ship how to handle it.

I can tell you about 10 or so cabins down there's a loud sucking noise coming from one of the cabins.  It's been there the whole cruise.  I don't know if they are keeping their balcony door open or if there's another problem.  I do know that I'm happy not to be next to them.

Morale of the story for me is... I'm going to be booking mid-ship or aft from now on... which is what I have always done... I only switched up because of the excellent price on a deluxe balcony.  Love the sofa in the room and large balcony... BUT have not been able to enjoy it much.

I got the picture today.  Loved it, thanks.  

And thanks for sharing the explanation you got for the doors.  It is about how I remembered it.  I never leave the door open, just open to go out and back in.  Various spots our there are windier than others, I know from experience.  

I've been to Ocho Rios a number of times but not in many years.  I have climbed Duns River Falls and done a catamarnd snorkel - not a good place to snorkel but it was after a hurricane had been through, visited a really beautiful garden, and done a river rafting trip.  Enjoyed them all but never did a resort.  Now I know why.  

Great information, can you help me with a couple of questions. I am assuming you are on Emerald deck, can you show by photo how obstructed the view from the balcony is please? If possible can you also find out if the cabins with connecting doors are soundproof like the main cabin door? I have been offered a cabin on the Regal Emerald deck and the only thing really putting me off is the connecting door to the next cabin but only for the possible noise.

Thanks in advance much appreciated if you can spare the time for me 🙂

7 hours ago, Te Aroha said:

Great information, can you help me with a couple of questions. I am assuming you are on Emerald deck, can you show by photo how obstructed the view from the balcony is please? If possible can you also find out if the cabins with connecting doors are soundproof like the main cabin door? I have been offered a cabin on the Regal Emerald deck and the only thing really putting me off is the connecting door to the next cabin but only for the possible noise.

Thanks in advance much appreciated if you can spare the time for me 🙂

If you look at post #10 I posted pics of the balcony and view.  I'll ask the cabin steward about the connecting door as we don't have one.  Thanks for following along.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today was Grand Cayman.  We took the tender over, hopped in a mini-bus/cab and headed to Calico Jacks.  Paid $20/couple for 2 chairs and an umbrella.  We ended up sitting in chairs under a tree because the sand was level, whereas the two rows below us were on a slant.  Didn't really need the umbrella that wasn't there... and one of the ladies did try and get them to put them up, but that never happened and we didn't bother to ask for our money back.  Didn't spend any other money there at all.

Water was nice enough but somewhat wavy due to the winds.  When we left we boarded a mini-bus just like the one we arrived on and the folks on board already were ready to mutiny.  Apparently they had been sitting there for 40 min while she attempted to fill the bus.  Our group of 4 and 2 others did just that and we took off.  Now I know why she collected her money up front.

Moral of this story is stick your head in the bus first and see how full it is before committing, unless there's a whole bunch of people behind you that you know will fill up the bus.

Next time in GC, I think we'll find another beach or excursion on the water.

194872295_P1020439(2).thumb.JPG.ebad0ac7bbf058f0115b6711f67c80cd.JPG

Here are some pictures of the interior of our cabin if anyone is interested.  I'm thinking we do not have the new beds. I think you can see the 2 indents.

1085018245_P1020448(2).thumb.JPG.277fe626851dc61a1f0f4bec96983393.JPG

Tonight is formal night and Bravo!

P1020449 (2).JPG

Edited by seagypsea

12 hours ago, toberman said:

Oh sure .....   You send pics to everyone you know except me !!!  Guess I know where I stand ??

Kidding of course (but I would like to see them) - enjoy the rest of the cruise.

D

DOUGIE!!!! :classic_biggrin: Great to see you pop up on CC --- like old times! (And you'll have mail, too -- just give me a couple hours.)

Diann --- cabin pix are terrif --- nice digs, for sure! Thanx for posting those (and I see you brought one of the dachsies...so which fur baby had to stay home? LOL)

Must say - I'm impressed at the beach and the resort in Ocho Rios -- looks quite nice. Guess looks really can be deceiving, though,  "eh"?   (the "eh was for Doug, of course!  :classic_tongue:

And I agree with Voljeep -- what DID you guys get for the Effy gift?

And PS - you're doing an awesome job on your "live from" --- so a big YAY to you, girl!

'puter has been down all week. Just got it back up. Maybe time for a new one?? Gack! Haven't found pics of Vow Renewal yet but I'll keep looking.

Getting ready to give all the pups baths and boy do they need it!  So do I for that matter. Phew!

Hope you had as much fun on the cruise as we have with the boys.  Lots of love and look forward to seeing ya'all!

Love, Don Terry Bandit KK Gunner and Amo

Di --- if you have time to read this at the last minute --- the vow renewal on your ship was on national TV ...Entertainment Tonight had some interviews with couples, and overviews of the event. (Twas quite impossible to pick you guys out in that humongous crowd!) And they said the ship's captain did the ceremony --- I thought it was supposed to be Gavin McLeod (?).

Anyway - the good news is, I was able to tape the 2 minute TV piece and then record it onto my tablet, so I'll email the video to you as soon as I get a chance to download it into my pc.

Did the ship have a video of the whole event to offer you guys? (Sure hope so!)

Safe journey back to your fam & the fur-babies!!!! 

(And - see you online, Doug... 'eh"?)

Edited by The Bun Mom

HEY DI --- Quick question before you disembark ---- could you please take a look and see if there are any usable wall outlets in your cabin on the same wall as the bed?  (Or, as I suspect -- are the only outlets on the other wall at the desk?)

I'm looking at a booking a deluxe balcony cabin on the Regal, and need to know this detail. If there's no outlet on the side of the bed, we'll have to book a regular balcony, as we don't want to contend with a cord across the floor for D's cpap machine. Not a safe arrangement.)

Thanks a bunch!!! (If anyone else out there knows the answer, please fell free to jump in and help. :classic_happy:)

Interesting about the balcony door's in your cabin. We had a 'regular' Minisuite on Marina Deck midship on the Regal on 2/2/2020. Our door would stick periodically, at sea or in port. It was just a sticky door. We've booked the Lido Obstructed view deluxe balconies many times (Regal & Royal), and never had an issue opening the door - ever (at sea or in port). They're awesome balconies, huge, and covered.  Little wind due to the metal coverage and angle that seems to move the wind up and over. 

BTW a facet in a washroom outside the Fitness Center was a PITA to use, I walked every day, and went in there to wash my hands afterwards, I got plenty of soap, but the sensor for the water hardly worked! Had to go into the Fitness Center with soapy hands (used a paper towel to open doors) to get them cleaned off. It was that way all week (I didn't do soap after day 1 though - LOL!  After all - that IS the definition of insanity).

Enjoy!  

Sorry to be MIA... Cozumel was a 10-10 port and today has been busy busy!!!

It's 9:07 and the bags are outside the door.

So - didn't use the $250 Effy giftcard.  Effy is not really my thing.  Overpriced jewelry with tiny stones.  I saw a post on here from someone on the Crown who had an issue using it.  

To the person who asked about connecting doors... I went to customer service and she was quite frank.  Definitely the noise bleeds through unless you have really quiet neighbors.  It's best to use those cabins with folks you are travelling with - her comment.  Lesson for all of us.

Adelle - yup bed is on the opposite wall from all the plugs in this cabin.  And thanks for noticing Bandit's avatar (or wienertar as G calls him).  Found him in a ship gift shop so now he travels with us as my "comfort" dog.  We call him Junior.  I take pictures of him looking at islands over the balcony and place him around the room during the day.  I've come back to the cabin to find him in bed or looking out the window or on our RCI cruise the steward made him towel friends to hang with and placed them together on the bed.  🙂

We definitely had Capt. Stubing and Vickie do the vow renewal, so maybe the interview was on the Crown?

We did stand in line for over an hour to get a picture with Gavin and Jill, so we bought that and one of us at the vow renewal and another one with our friends at dinner.  I'll scan those and send out to you, Liz and Doug.  My Sis can see them in person when we pick up our fur babies.  I might even post one on here.

So, Liz, I noticed we didn't get the little gold mesh bag with the spa goodies inside - lotion, mask, nail file, etc. so I went to the front desk... again 🙄 seems I did that a lot this cruise.   She acted like she didn't know what I was talking about.  The guy next to her jumped in and he didn't know either... right... finally he said oh those were just for suites.  I said excuse me but I've gotten one ever since I became Elite and we have friends on board in a suite and they didn't get one.  Oh he said then I know what you're talking about we don't do that anymore.  I said since when... oh, a couple of months...

Then our friends in the suite were looking at a sheet in their suite that offered a relaxing package or something.  It was supposed to have a mask, ear plugs, lavender oil and some relaxing salts for the tub, so she asked for it.  Oh, they don't have any.

It seems slowly but surely things are disappearing hopefully without us noticing.  I can actually understand getting rid of certain things but they need to take it off the website and the printed material so maybe we won't miss it.

Regardless, Princess is still our preferred cruise line.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

Interesting about the balcony door's in your cabin. We had a 'regular' Minisuite on Marina Deck midship on the Regal on 2/2/2020. Our door would stick periodically, at sea or in port. It was just a sticky door. We've booked the Lido Obstructed view deluxe balconies many times (Regal & Royal), and never had an issue opening the door - ever (at sea or in port). They're awesome balconies, huge, and covered.  Little wind due to the metal coverage and angle that seems to move the wind up and over. 

BTW a facet in a washroom outside the Fitness Center was a PITA to use, I walked every day, and went in there to wash my hands afterwards, I got plenty of soap, but the sensor for the water hardly worked! Had to go into the Fitness Center with soapy hands (used a paper towel to open doors) to get them cleaned off. It was that way all week (I didn't do soap after day 1 though - LOL!  After all - that IS the definition of insanity).

Enjoy!  

Ever since I went to guest services the door has worked perfectly... go figure.

7 hours ago, colbdoug said:

'puter has been down all week. Just got it back up. Maybe time for a new one?? Gack! Haven't found pics of Vow Renewal yet but I'll keep looking.

Getting ready to give all the pups baths and boy do they need it!  So do I for that matter. Phew!

Hope you had as much fun on the cruise as we have with the boys.  Lots of love and look forward to seeing ya'all!

Love, Don Terry Bandit KK Gunner and Amo

Hey Sis... happy to see you sign on.  Now you can travel along with us on cruises!  Miss the babies and can't wait to see them.  I know they've been in doggie heaven with their "cousins".  Love U.  See you soon!!!

Yesterday was Cozumel.  We went to Mr. Sanchos.  All you can eat and drink beach club, right on the beach, two pools.  First time here and we had an enjoyable day.  It was windy, the beach is VERY shelly... really need water shoes here... I did get in the ocean... well because I had too... but we spent most of the day in one of the pools.  Swim up bar.  The guys tipping the bartender meant the cups never got empty.  Way too much for me to drink so I spent some time swimming and went for a 30 minute back and shoulder massage.  Cervi was absolutely awesome!!!  My friend did the 60 minute with Norma and said DITTO!!!

Today was coffee, breakfast, chef cook off in the theater, lunch, pictures with Capt. Stubing, Roulette, slots, Voice of the Ocean, dinner, cocktail in the Wheelhouse, packing, picked up pictures, CC report.  It's now 9:48 and I need to check in for our flights and go to bed.

Really looking forward to coming home to 30 degree weather... NOT

Thanks for tagging along with us.

Diann

• Like 1

Just to finalize, we went on this cruise specifically for the Vow Renewal and I want to say that Princess did an awesome job.  Overall, it was a great cruise.  Gavin McLeod and Jill Whelan were most gracious and generous with their time and availability.

Until next time...

Capt. Stubing.jpg

Edited by seagypsea