Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle Party

rkacruiser

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Do you know how MSC verifies the Mariner Society tier status?  

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

You have to send them a screen copy of your account (star status).  It tells you how and where on their website as I recall.

This is what I was able to do.  

MSC also will recognized the highest level of whatever travel industry loyalty program you may belong:  airline, hotel, etc.  It does not have to specifically be a cruise industry loyalty program.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Didn't the Carnival umbrella used to do this?  They seemed to stop right about the time I started cruising but I do remember my first brochure mentioning cross line discounts of some type.  

I don't recall that any loyalty program from one Carnival brand was recognized by another one.  Surely, my memory may not be correct.  

Your memory may be correct as CCL may have been trying to build their position in the cruising industry.  That is exactly what MSC is trying to do.  Based upon what I heard from the CC M&G on Meraviglia from Gene Young, the ship's CD and a well respected former HAL CD specifically recruited by MSC, MSC wants to build their recognition, product, pricing, and service in the North American market.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't recall that any loyalty program from one Carnival brand was recognized by another one.  Surely, my memory may not be correct.  

Your memory may be correct as CCL may have been trying to build their position in the cruising industry.  That is exactly what MSC is trying to do.  Based upon what I heard from the CC M&G on Meraviglia from Gene Young, the ship's CD and a well respected former HAL CD specifically recruited by MSC, MSC wants to build their recognition, product, pricing, and service in the North American market.  

Sounds like a promising strategy and one that the other lines might take a hint from, if it wasn't for my Dad who refuses to sail with anyone but HAL I for one would be trying some other ships, in part because of all the re-branding they've been doing over the last few years, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.  Celebrity has commercials about 50 times every night featuring the newest ship, I forget the name, but the public areas look like something out of an Avatar movie.  

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Sounds like a promising strategy and one that the other lines might take a hint from, if it wasn't for my Dad who refuses to sail with anyone but HAL I for one would be trying some other ships, in part because of all the re-branding they've been doing over the last few years, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.  Celebrity has commercials about 50 times every night featuring the newest ship, I forget the name, but the public areas look like something out of an Avatar movie.  

The mainstream cruise lines are trying to appeal to a different demographic than what has been their "bread and butter".  Those of us who have been loyal "brand whatever" cruisers are getting "long in the tooth".  What we have enjoyed and valued in our past cruise experiences are, in the opinion of senior cruise line executives of, I think, many of the companies are not what the younger generations of cruisers want.

Thus, a "carnival" type of cruise experience has appeared with zip-lines, bumper cars, etc.  on some ships.  Nothing wrong for all who enjoy such activities, surely.  The ships are becoming large enough that one can easily ignore such activities.  For the cruise lines to consider the traditional cruise attributes for a guest are passe and not important is a marketing mistake, in my opinion.

A cloud free night time sky allowing a guest to view the heavens, a deck chair overlooking the sea enjoying the sights and sound of the sea--fulling intending to finish that book on Kindle or whatever--and then falling asleep, programming that I can't see on my TV at home with live music as I enjoy my HH, cuisine that is well prepared and served, Stewards who are personable, friendly, and willing to interact with this guest as they have time to do so:  this is what helps to make  "a cruising vacation" different from a land-based resort, in my opinion.  

Those of us who have much "water under our keel" notice the "differences" over the years.  On HAL, as an example:  where have the flowers gone?  Once, the Lido Restaurant's tables were graced by orchids.  (I won't mention the other larger floral displays that have disappeared.)  Royal Dutch Tea, Indonesian Tea:  mention that to new HAL cruisers and one will get an odd look.  What land based resorts offer such amenities?  

Many amenities that have made the cruise experience in the past for us different from our day to day life experiences have been eroded. 

Searching for a new cruise experience, that is why I chose to book Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia.  Inclusive at a reasonable price for me in a suite that offered all of the amenities of a Neptune Suite.  Run of the ship privileges that were recognized by bar/lounge staff when I used their services due to my MSC Diamond status and my YC as a guest, usually.  Better evening theater entertainment than any I saw on Volendam and Eurodam this Winter.

The new ships' interior decor often is stunning.  I have not seen the Celebrity ads that you mentioned.  Meraviglia had a two deck atrium.  The dome changed scenes frequently.  Several times during late afternoon and into the evening, there would be a sound/light show about different themes.  

Long time cruisers complain about cutbacks.  And, there have been.  But, much new has been added while modifying the "oldies, but goodies" at the same time.  

Please forgive for such a long response to your post.  I understand your desire to search beyond HAL for a cruise.  For me, I will be doing so as well.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The mainstream cruise lines are trying to appeal to a different demographic than what has been their "bread and butter".  Those of us who have been loyal "brand whatever" cruisers are getting "long in the tooth".  What we have enjoyed and valued in our past cruise experiences are, in the opinion of senior cruise line executives of, I think, many of the companies are not what the younger generations of cruisers want.

Thus, a "carnival" type of cruise experience has appeared with zip-lines, bumper cars, etc.  on some ships.  Nothing wrong for all who enjoy such activities, surely.  The ships are becoming large enough that one can easily ignore such activities.  For the cruise lines to consider the traditional cruise attributes for a guest are passe and not important is a marketing mistake, in my opinion.

A cloud free night time sky allowing a guest to view the heavens, a deck chair overlooking the sea enjoying the sights and sound of the sea--fulling intending to finish that book on Kindle or whatever--and then falling asleep, programming that I can't see on my TV at home with live music as I enjoy my HH, cuisine that is well prepared and served, Stewards who are personable, friendly, and willing to interact with this guest as they have time to do so:  this is what helps to make  "a cruising vacation" different from a land-based resort, in my opinion.  

Those of us who have much "water under our keel" notice the "differences" over the years.  On HAL, as an example:  where have the flowers gone?  Once, the Lido Restaurant's tables were graced by orchids.  (I won't mention the other larger floral displays that have disappeared.)  Royal Dutch Tea, Indonesian Tea:  mention that to new HAL cruisers and one will get an odd look.  What land based resorts offer such amenities?  

Many amenities that have made the cruise experience in the past for us different from our day to day life experiences have been eroded. 

Searching for a new cruise experience, that is why I chose to book Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia.  Inclusive at a reasonable price for me in a suite that offered all of the amenities of a Neptune Suite.  Run of the ship privileges that were recognized by bar/lounge staff when I used their services due to my MSC Diamond status and my YC as a guest, usually.  Better evening theater entertainment than any I saw on Volendam and Eurodam this Winter.

The new ships' interior decor often is stunning.  I have not seen the Celebrity ads that you mentioned.  Meraviglia had a two deck atrium.  The dome changed scenes frequently.  Several times during late afternoon and into the evening, there would be a sound/light show about different themes.  

Long time cruisers complain about cutbacks.  And, there have been.  But, much new has been added while modifying the "oldies, but goodies" at the same time.  

Please forgive for such a long response to your post.  I understand your desire to search beyond HAL for a cruise.  For me, I will be doing so as well.  

Oh I completely agree with everything you stated.  I think the Celebrity ship I've seen commercials on has that type of high tech stuff, and NCL, a cruise line I wouldn't have been caught dead even considering has my attention with the solo staterooms and the private retreats, I guess I've always been one to appreciate companies that can think outside the box, even if it's not something that would appeal to me, like water slides and platforms that rise up/down off the side of a ship. 

Like you, I long for a sleepy voyage where I can read books, meet people over coffee, take in some Lincoln Center Stage, enjoy finer food that I can get at home, you obviously get the picture.  I've noticed the cutbacks too, I haven't seen an ice carving in years. I was never much for the baked Alaska parades but I do miss the chocolate extravaganza that they used to have in the MDR (not the all dessert one that they used to do by the Lido pool--talk about deck chair hogs!).  A lot of the live music is gone, and I don't know what they are doing with all the grand pianos, many ships used to have half a dozen available.  My biggest complain from our last trip was that the Eurodam doesn't seem to want people sitting by the outside elevators, they were gone on every deck.  

I don't know who does their market research, but all the millenials I know ironically long for their idea of old-fashioned or normal for us.  They are up to their necks in tech day in and day out and they seem to seek out the opposite when they travel.  But many of the lines have seemed to find their mark, only HAL seems to be lost and unable to simultaneously appeal to multiple demographics. While the ships are fine for me, I can see why they come off as bland to others.