Petra

cjjersey

We are visiting Aqaba on the Encore in May, we have read the description of the tour to Petra but it has left us wondering just how strenuous a walk it is. Does anybody have any experience they could share? Particularly concerned about the description of the approach to the site.

I worked in Jordan for 2 years, been there 3 or 4 times. Its all down hill to the main sights however, for someone not so good on their feet its a steady climb back at least a 45 minute walk to one hour. 

Once you reach the bottom the rest is fairly easy. There is optional climb to another sight seeing monument which is very steep but once again, there are donkeys who can take you.

As a matter of principle we would not use the horses or donkeys but that was our choice. 

There are horses or donkeys you can pay for with a guy who leads you down and or back, the rates are quite reasonable.

I was on the Ovation in November.  The highlight of the cruise was Petra.  It's about a 2 hour trip from the port.  it's walking intensive.  Especially the walk back which is uphill. Many are 'pooped out" and just walk  to the treasury which is at the end of a long walk thru the Siq (sp).  Fudge is right in that there are horses and donkeys that can transport you  back and forth to  the Treasury. There are also a number a signs that indicate the the animals are treated humanly. Additionally, there are 3 golf carts( courteous of Korea) which if you can get them, make Petra a pleasure. All in all, Petra IS one of the world's wonders and shouldn't be missed. My advice is to wear comfortable shoes and clothes.

It is strenuous, especially considering the month May.  It will be HOT.  I am is fairly good shape and the walk down was good.

Walk back was exhausting especially due to the heat

They do have a horse pulled carriage that can take you back and forth.  My DW used that.  She also used a Donkey to explore the area beyond the Citadel.

I did this tour several years ago and it was an amazing experience.  That being said, it is also a very strenuous experience.  You get lulled into thinking that it isn't 'too bad' on the way in.  It is all down hill and shaded since it is early in the day.  However, the way back is all up hill and hot since now the sun is blazing down on you from directly overhead.  And the passageway is relatively narrow with the donkeys and carts passing by you at a high rate of speed causing you to need to get out of the way frequently.  We found a couple of spots on the way back where we could sit and rest but they were few and far between.   One hint...I brought an umbrella with me that allowed me to be shaded for the walk back.  Bring plenty of water to drink...you will need it.

All that being said..it was a great experience that I am glad that I didn't miss. And Seabourn put on a wonderful cocktail 'hour' experience for us about 45 minutes out from Petra on the way back.  They took over a building that had a wall of windows looking over the Petra area.  The Head Chef and all of the Maitre D's from the restaurants as well as some of the waiters were all dressed in Arabian costumes and served us Champagne and caviar and fois gras and shrimp etc etc.  A really exceptional experience...one that I urge you not to miss!

We sailed on the Encore last May from Dubai to Athens with the stop in Aqaba.  It was the second time we took the tour to Petra, the first time  having been several years before.  We did the walk down and back the first time and the trip up is pretty grueling as others have said.  The walk is a couple of miles each way and the elevation goes from about 5400 ft. above sea level at the top to about 4800 ft. at the bottom.  For people who live at low elevations this can cause additional discomfort.  On our visit this past year we took a golf cart down to the Treasury with 3 other people from our tour group.  It was well worth the money.  On our first visit which was in October that year we did experience the caviar in the desert experience which was a delightful surprise.  Last May Seabourn didn't do that event and I was told they didn't because it was Ramadan and there would have been objections from the Jordanians.  If your cruise will be during Ramadan you may not have it either.  The trip to Petra is well worth it regardless.

We walked in and the first view of the Treasury is breathtaking so you want to savor it. We did a lot of climbing to see the inside of tombs and houses. We had a private guide who had earlier hired a cart to take us out. It will be hot, strenuous but worth it. Bring your own water.

Because we had our own guide we were able to stop a Wadi Rum on the return but the time was REALLY tight.

ARA_0406.JPG

ARA_0457.JPG