Shows getting repetative?

JoshGrrrr

Ok, on an earlier Carnival cruise on the Holiday they had the Newlywed game parody. They asked the guys if they were willing to do ANYTHING to please their wife. They made them dress in boxers and boahs and all that crap. I'm sure we've all seen it.

Ok, here is what annoyed me. On that cruise it turned out that one of the men was a state trooper, one was a teacher, and the old man was a baptist preacher. We all laughed.

On the Victory last year they did the same game like they do on pretty much every cruise. The 3 guys just so happened to have the same occupations.

I know it is staged, I'd have to be stupid not to. But why would they do this? It made the whole thing seem cheesy. It made me realize how fake it all really is. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this common? Is this what I have to look forward to on future cruises?

Ok, on an earlier Carnival cruise on the Holiday they had the Newlywed game parody. They asked the guys if they were willing to do ANYTHING to please their wife. They made them dress in boxers and boahs and all that crap. I'm sure we've all seen it.

Ok, here is what annoyed me. On that cruise it turned out that one of the men was a state trooper, one was a teacher, and the old man was a baptist preacher. We all laughed.

On the Victory last year they did the same game like they do on pretty much every cruise. The 3 guys just so happened to have the same occupations.

I know it is staged, I'd have to be stupid not to. But why would they do this? It made the whole thing seem cheesy. It made me realize how fake it all really is. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this common? Is this what I have to look forward to on future cruises?

You are right...Carnival shows are so stale and predictable. I always find something else to do though.

I do not believe the Newlywed game was staged when I went on both Disney and RCI. They were pretty candid and funny. Men didnt get in boxers or anything like that... just a good cruise director making the most of it, and they make sure to pick great couples that dont mind being embarrassed.

This isn't a 'show' ... The Newlywed Game is just a diversion for some folks, like the trivia games and bingo.

However, I don't believe they're fake. I've not attended a newlywed game, but some tablesmates of mine on one of my Holiday cruises were laughing and talking about being one of the 'chosen' couples, and said it was really a lot of fun. He actually was a Baptist minister.:)

The last 2 Carnival cruises,the questions were all the same and the answers from "the baptist minister" was the same. Just like the spoon game they sometimes still do with the bent spoon at the end. But they are still fun to watch!

Laura

I can't say anything about Carnival, but on Royal Caribbean I can assure you they are NOT staged!!! My husband and I were on the 1/15 Rhapsody cruise and not only went to the love & Marriage show, but were picked for one of the couples!! They had an "audition" for each of the couples they were picking (one being married 0-5 years, one couple married 6-25 years, and one couple married over 25 years). The audience picked the couple that went on stage and for our group - we were the only couple that standed and wanted to be on the show so we kinda won by default but still had to do the "audition" part. They did say at the beginning - you had to be willing to play and to plan on being embarrassed. We did not know any of the questions before hand, and were not coached in any way on how to answer them. It was LOADS of fun and one of the highlights of our cruise - and was fun getting recognized the rest of the week!!!

I can't say anything about Carnival, but on Royal Caribbean I can assure you they are NOT staged!!!

Correct. My MIL & FIL were on the Newlywed game on their last cruise.

SO, the bent spoon thing happens every time? What a bummer! I've only been on one cruise (Paradise) and I had no idea that was staged.

Kinda bursts your bubble, doesn't it:( . We saw a hysterical show with John Heald on the Triumph where he was actually tackled by an "audience member". On the Glory....lo and behold, there was John with the same "audience member"-same tackle!! Funny the first time...disappointing the second.

I no longer go to the not so newlywed game. On every line that has that game it is the same, questions and all.

this is what floored me- the Las Vegas/Broadway style show that all the lines have. We saw this show on the HAL Statendam in May 2001-it was a combo of 50's songs. Then in Nov. 01 we went on sovereign of the Seas and you would not believe it-differant line. a mini carib. cruise instead of an alaskan cruise and it was almost the exact same show down to the songs. I do not know how that happened but I was disapointed. I did not want to see the same show, on differant lines, in the same year. I guess they did not expect the same people to take a luxury cruise and then take a budget mini cruise- but obviously one had copied the other. I have no idea who copied who. But I did not like it.

Why do these lines copy each other on this stuff? It seems to me someone would be able to come up with some orignial questions for that newlywed game at least-why do they keep using the same questions? and as far as the shows-aren't there enough songs written in the world that at least they could be differant?

I can't say anything about Carnival, but on Royal Caribbean I can assure you they are NOT staged!!! My husband and I were on the 1/15 Rhapsody cruise and not only went to the love & Marriage show, but were picked for one of the couples!! They had an "audition" for each of the couples they were picking (one being married 0-5 years, one couple married 6-25 years, and one couple married over 25 years). The audience picked the couple that went on stage and for our group - we were the only couple that standed and wanted to be on the show so we kinda won by default but still had to do the "audition" part. They did say at the beginning - you had to be willing to play and to plan on being embarrassed. We did not know any of the questions before hand, and were not coached in any way on how to answer them. It was LOADS of fun and one of the highlights of our cruise - and was fun getting recognized the rest of the week!!!

Oh what about "what is the most unusal palce you have ever made whoopie?" Then this is the one I am absolutely sick of-"does your hubby look like a volkswagon beetle with 2 flat tires or a mach truck when he comes out of the shower?" I am absolutely sick of BOTH of those questions and I have heard them on Carnival and royal caribbean both so many times I could throw up.

So Carnival is now staging a silly skit? That has got to be better then those 2 stupid questions. Still I am still NOT INTERESTED in attending the not so newlywed game on either line.

I was on I won the Hairiest chest contest...after doing the tarzan yell and fighting off the cannibals. The 'Judge' was this late 60's woman who was instructed to run her hands up and down our chests... I won by default. The guy next to me had just shaved down his chest hairs and had his back waxed (Ouch!).

Later that night after the talent show they did an impromtu show with a hero, bad guy, and lady in distress, I got to be the bad guy. It was a lot of fun, but now when I look back at the video...its embarrassing.

Do they still do this?

Dave:eek:

many of the "production" shows are similar across cruise lines because many of the cruise lines contact with the same "production" company. The "you fill in the name" singers and dancers do a choreographed show that was originally worked out by someone most likely on land, then taught to the on-ship staff.

So I don't think it's a case of one line "copying" another line's show.

Garrick

Archived