Renting a car in Skagway

pinto18

We rented from Avis on 2 different occasions.  It was an easy walk from the pier for my husband and I. We just went back to the ship to pick up my mom and sister who had mobility issues.  

I don't know about the cost between the 2 companies, but we had no issues with Avis.  It was very cost effective for 4 people.  We stopped at the local grocery store and bought some snacks for the road.  We bought Murray's guide to the Klondike on line and enjoyed the day and had a picnic lunch.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arlodog said:

We rented from Avis on 2 different occasions.  It was an easy walk from the pier for my husband and I. We just went back to the ship to pick up my mom and sister who had mobility issues.  

I don't know about the cost between the 2 companies, but we had no issues with Avis.  It was very cost effective for 4 people. 

We did the same thing.  It worked out really well for us.  I would warn you that the Avis is slow and there are a bunch of people trying to get cars at the same time.  It took about 45 minutes from arrival to actually getting in the car and we were #2 in line.  The line was about 10 deep by the time we were done.

1 hour ago, atobols said:

We did the same thing.  It worked out really well for us.  I would warn you that the Avis is slow and there are a bunch of people trying to get cars at the same time.  It took about 45 minutes from arrival to actually getting in the car and we were #2 in line.  The line was about 10 deep by the time we were done.

Oh yikes...we just booked a car with Avis. Do you remember what time you got there...should we try to reserve an earlier time? I think the ship gets in at 7

18 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

Oh yikes...we just booked a car with Avis. Do you remember what time you got there...should we try to reserve an earlier time? I think the ship gets in at 7

I don't remember what time our ship got in.  I'm sure we got off the ship ASAP and pretty much ran over to the rental car place.  I know that I had read they could get backed up and we wanted to get on the road quickly.  Anyway, we got a little lost and wandered around the block looking for the place which was right in front of us the entire time.  That's how we ended up #2 in line. 

Yes, you do want to be first off the ship to get your car or I have heard there is a wait.  It was really easy to drive yourself around though.  Not much to the town and highly recommend spending the few dollars on Murray's guide.  It follows mile markers up the Highway so you know what you are looking at and a bit of the history. I see the price has risen to $5.95.  http://*****/  Still a bargain! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arlodog said:

Yes, you do want to be first off the ship to get your car or I have heard there is a wait.  It was really easy to drive yourself around though.  Not much to the town and highly recommend spending the few dollars on Murray's guide.  It follows mile markers up the Highway so you know what you are looking at and a bit of the history. I see the price has risen to $5.95.  http://*****/  Still a bargain! 

Yes I read about the Murrys guide and have it bookmarked. It sounds like well worth the $5.95 if we have a car for the day