Is there a maritime commission for European Cruises

15 minutes ago, 111840 said:

Does Anyone know if there is a maritime commission for European cruises to enter a complaint?

There is one in the U.S.

I do not think that the United States Maritime Commission ( intended to encourage the building of merchant ships - just prior to World War II)  was interned to field complaints or, n fact, still exists.  I think what you want is to find some consumer protection agency - of which I am sure there are plenty in Europe.

I think what you need to do is identify your complaint:  false advertising,, fair labor practices, or whatever — and then try to determine where you complaint should be lodged.  I doubt that you have a specific maritime issue in mind —perhaps a consumer complaint?

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not think that the United States Maritime Commission ( intended to encourage the building of merchant ships - just prior to World War II)  was interned to field complaints or, n fact, still exists.  I think what you want is to find some consumer protection agency - of which I am sure there are plenty in Europe.

I think what you need to do is identify your complaint:  false advertising,, fair labor practices, or whatever — and then try to determine where you complaint should be lodged.  I doubt that you have a specific maritime issue in mind —perhaps a consumer complaint?

While you are correct that the US Maritime Commission no longer exists, its functions were taken over by the Federal Maritime Commission and the US Maritime Administration.  The FMC is the agency that has become involved with cruise passenger complaints, stemming from various legislation like the CVSSA and others.  However, the FMC has no jurisdiction to force a cruise line to rectify, or indemnify a passenger for a complaint, it can only ensure that the passenger's complaints are heard by the cruise line.  And, their purview only extends to performance issues (itinerary) or death or injury.

However, just as the FMC will only handle complaints from US citizens against a cruise line that embarks in the US, EU regulations on passenger rights only apply to EU citizens.  EU maritime complaints are to be directed to the shipping company directly.

You need to tell us what the problem is, or this thread could be going round in circles for a very long time.

Is it a safety matter?  Concerning the standards of the vessel, the food,  ship's medical staff, a third party such as another ship or boat or harbour authority?

Or  a problem with your booking or charges?

Or one of a dozen other matters?

They all involve different agencies, and this could be a long and pointless thread without you giving us more information.

JB :classic_smile: