Kon-tiki Party Cruise

jcruise67

I'm a huge fan of the Kon-Tiki Party Cruise in St.Thomas. Our group, the "KON-TIKI KREW-ZERS" have booked a reunion cruise on RCCL "AOS" April 30, 2006. One of our ports of call is St.Thomas and we all were looking forward to the Kon-Tiki Party Cruise Excursion. I just found out that the Kon-Tiki Party Boats have all been taking out of operation for the entire season. Does anyone know why they have been dry docked for the 2006 cruise season? The cruise lines nor the tour agency in St.Thomas will disclose this information. Everyone has been hush-hush about it. Did something happen last year or recently to cause this sudden stoppage of this excursion. It would have been our 14th time on the Kon-Tiki Cruise. I'm bummed.

jcruise

This is the first that I have heard of the Kon-Tiki party boats being pulled. Could it be because too many people have gotten drunk on them? One woman was so drunk that she fell over her balcony railing and died. Others have been taken to the hospital - stone drunk. Lawsuits??

I wish I knew. I'm assuming it had something to do with all the media hype recently concerning the cruise lines and missing pax. Or, you may be right. It could be a result of the drunken pax that over indulge on this particular excursion. Either way you think that as a TA, I would be given an explanation. I too have felt pretty good after the Kon-Tiki Party Cruise, but not to a point I would lose total control. We just had a helluva lot of fun on the Kon-Tiki. Its ashame they took them out of operation for the entire season.

I didn't realize this until I attempted to book this excursion in advance and the cruise line didn't offer it. I found it strange to say the least because this excursion is one of the most popular among cruise pax's. Other cruise lines aren't offering it as well. Thats what prompted me to email the company in St.Thomas located at the Amalie Pier and make an inquiry. However, they too weren't forthright with their answer.

jcruise

I emailed Billi at Kon Tiki directly and was told they would be out of commission for the rest of the season. He did not elaborate. Was looking forward to it ourselves.

I know. I emailed them as well, but they did not elaborate at that time either. Its strange in a way. You would think they would tell us something.

jcruise

My husband and I went on the Kon-Tiki in the Domincan Republic four years ago this March.

It was bad. The toilet didn't work properly and waste was floating around on the back of the deck. Promised an afternoon of snorkeling. We got 20 minutes.

It really wasn't worth the cash. :(

My husband and I went on the Kon-Tiki in the Domincan Republic four years ago this March.

It was bad. The toilet didn't work properly and waste was floating around on the back of the deck. Promised an afternoon of snorkeling. We got 20 minutes.

It really wasn't worth the cash. :(

The KON-TIKI in ST.Thomas is the bomb. Our group loved every minute of it. we got more than an hour at Honeymoon Beach, but the real fun is always on board the KON-TIKI party raft. I never went on an excursion in the Dominican Republic called the KON-TIKI. I know the bottomless barrels of rum punch has one hell of a punch!!!(LOL) This will be the first time we won't be doing the Kon-Tiki in ST.Thomas in the 12 times we sailed there. Oh well..Looks like Paradise Point this time.

jcruise

Nothing suspicious, just hurricane-related damages. We were on the Caribbean Princess in October (2005) and one of the many hurricanes from last fall had damaged the Kon-Tiki and it was out of service. I would assume they are still trying to get things set right from that. Kellie in Texas

• 1 month later...

I love the Kon Tiki too, probably been on it 5 times,

SOoooo sorry to see it go, I emailed them in Dec, as i am cruising next week, and they said it was off season, sorry to see it gone

thanks islander!

WOW - our first shore excursion EVER was on the Kon Tiki many many moons ago. We still talk about the great time to this day. While we have never been back on it (started cruising with our kids - what can I say) it is such a shame that it isnt operational anymore.

I never knew anyone fell off of their balcony due to the libations from the Kon tiki? Is there anywhere here on CC to read about it?

Sorry to see you go KonTiki - we were hoping to catch a glimpse of you when we are in St Thomas in May :(

Archived