NCL-Victoria BC walking tour ?

Ptroxx

Has anyone taken the Walking tour in Victoria?  
 I have the 50.00 excursion OBC and already been to buchrads gardens 

and really just want to walk around and then find a good place for a cheeseburger or something for dinner while there.  
any suggestions would be great.    

don’t want to let my 50.00 go to waste.   

thanks 

It needs to be an NCL tour in order to get the credit so is there anything else that you're interested in.  I'd be in the same boat since I've visited Victoria a few times.  DH and I  walked around downtown Victoria, stopped at Nautical Nellie's for dinner... was my BD, NN upped my order from Lobster tail to full lobster... 

Have you checked  TripAdvisor? They have some wonderful ideas for Victoria and Vancouver.  

Hope you find something fun to do. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

16 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Has anyone taken the Walking tour in Victoria?  
 I have the 50.00 excursion OBC and already been to buchrads gardens 

and really just want to walk around and then find a good place for a cheeseburger or something for dinner while there.  

don’t want to let my 50.00 go to waste.   

thanks 

Hi there! I can't speak about the walking tour through NCL but I live in Victoria so I am more than happy to try and answer any local questions you might have! Butchart Gardens is just amazing but if you have already been there, I can understand why you want to skip it...although if you are going to be here around Christmas, the lights at the Garden are amazing!

Edited by Aladora

8 minutes ago, Aladora said:

Hi there! I can't speak about the walking tour through NCL but I live in Victoria so I am more than happy to try and answer any local questions you might have! Butchart Gardens is just amazing but if you have already been there, I can understand why you want to skip it...although if you are going to be here around Christmas, the lights at the Garden are amazing!

Going in May.    Been to the gardens during the day and night.   
I really just wanna walk around.   But im hoping I can get some history while doing it that’s why I was going to book it.   We walked to the shuttle last year to get to the gardens.   But this time I wanna walk around the waterfront.  
my plan is to walk with the tour.   Then skip out at some point and walk around more myself.     

im also looking for a good place to have a burger or something to eat.  Nothing fancy.  Maybe on the waterfront. 

26 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Going in May.    Been to the gardens during the day and night.   
I really just wanna walk around.   But im hoping I can get some history while doing it that’s why I was going to book it.   We walked to the shuttle last year to get to the gardens.   But this time I wanna walk around the waterfront.  
my plan is to walk with the tour.   Then skip out at some point and walk around more myself.     

im also looking for a good place to have a burger or something to eat.  Nothing fancy.  Maybe on the waterfront. 

There are a ton of options in Victoria and May is a great time to visit our fine city!

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Tours:

Walking and Ghost tours

Bike tours

Museums and the like:

Roysl BC Museum

Maritime Museum of BC

Craigadarroch Castle

Food:

Fisherman's Wharf Barb's Fish and Chips is an icon of Victoria!

Tea at the Empress Hotel

Hope that is enough to get you started!

• Like 1

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Aladora said:

There are a ton of options in Victoria and May is a great time to visit our fine city!

Tours:

Walking and Ghost tours

Bike tours

Museums and the like:

Roysl BC Museum

Maritime Museum of BC

Craigadarroch Castle

Food:

Tea at the Empress Hotel

thanks for the food suggestions.   

id like to find someone who’s done the NCL Victoria walking tour. As it’s offered by NCL and I have OBC to use up.     We’re in port till 10 pm. So after the tour I’ll be venturing out on my own to walk around some too.     

thanks for the other suggestion.  I’ve already done the Buchard  Garden. 

I like the museum. I like history so that’s an idea.    

Time versus Distance:

Ship ties up at pier - off the ship almost immediately

Must be back on board about a half hour before sailing

Time available ???

Walking with purpose @ 3 miles an hour

Map LINK of Victoria:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4164174,-123.3858378,2654m/data=!3m1!1e3

Map/Image is zoomable

Pier is in middle of image (James Bay)

scale on map is approximately 1 inch = a 1000 feet - 5 inches to the mile

Thus anything on the right side of the image is doable

Comment about Butchart Gardens having seen it once during the day with adequate time to see most all of it -

but for others a return visit would not be bad to see what you had to pass and a night visit with lighting would

be something.

As regards the $50 per cabin Shore Excursion Credit it has to be on a NCL sanction excursion and not a simple

self-guided walk in a city park. The city walk is pretty much on level grade no significant obstacles !

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Time versus Distance:

Ship ties up at pier - off the ship almost immediately

Must be back on board about a half hour before sailing

Time available ???

Walking with purpose @ 3 miles an hour

Map LINK of Victoria:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4164174,-123.3858378,2654m/data=!3m1!1e3

Map/Image is zoomable

Pier is in middle of image (James Bay)

scale on map is approximately 1 inch = a 1000 feet - 5 inches to the mile

Thus anything on the right side of the image is doable

Comment about Butchart Gardens having seen it once during the day with adequate time to see most all of it -

but for others a return visit would not be bad to see what you had to pass and a night visit with lighting would

be something.

As regards the $50 per cabin Shore Excursion Credit it has to be on a NCL sanction excursion and not a simple

self-guided walk in a city park. The city walk is pretty much on level grade no significant obstacles !

Like I said.  I’ve been to the gardens day and night.  
I’ve walked from the pier to the Empress hotel to catch the bus to the gardens.  But passed up everything in between.     

im asking about the NCL walking tour.   If anyone has actually taken if.    

but thanks.   

5B257622-96D2-4A60-90DC-91239405E176.png

Sorry @Ptroxx - another person who hasn't taken the tour. But given they describe the route well on the NCL tour pages, I can 100% confirm that this is a ludicrously poor value proposition. Even if you just burned the $50 excursion voucher, it would be better than taking the walk! The reason? They're giving you 2 hours to walk a route that can be done in well under 30 minutes if you're in at-all decent shape. That's 90mins of your life you ain't getting back! By all means if you want to see Beacon Hill park walk there - or Fisherman's wharf the other way to the Inner Harbour. Or both if you walk in a loop, which would probably still take barely over half of the 2 hours allocated. Maybe you'll get a bit of spiel from the tour guide that you don't already know, but frankly it's unlikely to be info that isn't commonly-available on the city's tourism pages for free.

Is there literally no other excursion in any port on this cruise you can use the voucher on that would offer better value? I find that whalewatching for example you actually spend pretty much exactly the same through the ship as prebooking independently - and you can get on small boats, not just giant Allen Marine cats. In fact Gastineau Guiding only book through cruiselines, and they have the best boats on the coast for whalewatching (which is why a lot of other Indy companies are now buying the same ones, dedicated 14/22 pax with viewing platforms, instead of the classic '6 pack' random-shaped fishing boats that typifies Juneau excursions) - any time we've had a 'use it or lose it' voucher for excursions, that's what we spend them on.

1 hour ago, martincath said:

Sorry @Ptroxx - another person who hasn't taken the tour. But given they describe the route well on the NCL tour pages, I can 100% confirm that this is a ludicrously poor value proposition. Even if you just burned the $50 excursion voucher, it would be better than taking the walk! The reason? They're giving you 2 hours to walk a route that can be done in well under 30 minutes if you're in at-all decent shape. That's 90mins of your life you ain't getting back! By all means if you want to see Beacon Hill park walk there - or Fisherman's wharf the other way to the Inner Harbour. Or both if you walk in a loop, which would probably still take barely over half of the 2 hours allocated. Maybe you'll get a bit of spiel from the tour guide that you don't already know, but frankly it's unlikely to be info that isn't commonly-available on the city's tourism pages for free.

Is there literally no other excursion in any port on this cruise you can use the voucher on that would offer better value? I find that whalewatching for example you actually spend pretty much exactly the same through the ship as prebooking independently - and you can get on small boats, not just giant Allen Marine cats. In fact Gastineau Guiding only book through cruiselines, and they have the best boats on the coast for whalewatching (which is why a lot of other Indy companies are now buying the same ones, dedicated 14/22 pax with viewing platforms, instead of the classic '6 pack' random-shaped fishing boats that typifies Juneau excursions) - any time we've had a 'use it or lose it' voucher for excursions, that's what we spend them on.

like I said.  I’m looking for actual experience that has taken the walking tour.  
I have 10 hours to waste and want to walk around.  and burning my 50.00 is just a waste.    Don’t want to rush around in 30 minutes.  and then what do I do for the next 9.5 hours when done?   I have 10 hour  So 2 hours sucking up information. And then 7 hours left to do what?   I’ll do more walking around and exploring.  
 And yes even a little information from the tour guide is great.  
I don’t want to sit on a bus or a boat.   
I want to walk around and get some exercise after 6 days on a ship walking around will be a great thing.   
id like to see the city take in the area and the beauty.  Maybe walk back to some of the spots on the tour and take more time getting information from locals. 
I can walk almost all over the city and do things.    And this is the one I’m interested in.  
But thanks.    

Additional comments in red now that you've provided more info  - sorry to harp on about skipping the NCL tour again, but you really are crippling the logistics of your visit if you choose to take it unless it's an evening walk:

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

like I said.  I’m looking for actual experience that has taken the walking tour.  

If there was anyone reading the site who had taken the tour, they'd have commented by now... so you'll need to look elsewhere (any reviews on NCLs excursion page for example?) But even if you luck into getting best tour guide spiel in the city, at best you will hear about stuff that you are not actually seeing - that route is short, and the only buildings of any interest come right at the end, the first 90% of the walk is just pretty-but-not-exactly-exciting suburban family homes, and crucially it is probably wasting the most useful chunk of time you have (disembarkation until 5pm).

I have 10 hours to waste and want to walk around.  

Now that's useful info! Previously you did not mention such a long stay, just that the ship was in port until 10pm - which ties in with the all-too-common '4-6 hour short stop that's all in the evening'.  Having THAT much time, especially daytime hours for most of it, opens WAY more possibilities! You could actually go INSIDE parliament on a (free) tour for example, you could head over to Hatley Castle and walk THEIR gardens for a whopping $5 - same designer as the Japanese garden at Butchart but better, as this was his third major garden locally so he understood more about local climate, soil etc. Get lucky on your date and there's also a guided tour inside Hatley, which looks way more the part of a castle than Craigdarroch. You want to burn energy and time? Walk part of the way there - you'll see a TON more than on the NCL route, cross at least one bridge, follow some of the shoreline around Victoria's harbour areas, and you'd pas by the first Japanese garden in the city in Esquimault, again same designer as Butchart. It's being slowly renovated after years of neglect (free to visit). Personally I'd grab a transit bus Day Pass for $5 and cut out much of the walking - but if you really wanted to you could get to Hatley on foot in 3 hours, which means you'd be there long before it shut.

and burning my 50.00 is just a waste.    

Better to 'waste' it than spend it on a poor tour, if taking that tour prevents you doing something better! You're falling prey to a common human psychological trait - that $50 is already paid for whether you use it or not, so don't let it sucker you in to taking the least-bad NCL option when you could do a much-better independent thing instead...

Don’t want to rush around in 30 minutes.  

30 minutes would NOT be a rush - it would be a normal walking pace for Joe Q Public along that route. If you rush, you can cover the route in 20 minutes... 2 hours would be a painfully-slow pace for that route - it's barely over a mile. I've given walking tours for years, and 1mph average tour speed is as slow as you ever need to go for wheelchair users, fogeys, kids etc., and that's assuming a 'walk a bit, stop in front of a thing, talk about the thing, walk on, and repeat' Folks get bored & distracted if the pace is too slow, and the only way to talk about Victoria for two hours on that route is to cover a whole bunch of stuff that isn't what you're actually seeing at the time - a cardinal sin of tour-guiding! While walking between places you fill in the general history, answer questions etc., but you talk about what you are actually seeing as much as possible if you give the slightest crap about providing a quality tour experience.

I don’t want to sit on a bus or a boat.  I want to walk around and get some exercise after 6 days on a ship walking around will be a great thing.   id like to see the city take in the area and the beauty. 

The time spent on this tour means 90mins ofr sensible pace walking elsewhere have been lost - during which you could take in much MORE of the area. You've already been pointed to some local bike and walking tours above, which would provide you a much wider range of sights and a much more sensible pace. You'll get at least the same quality of info (NCL will be hiring a local company) but it'll be focused on many more things that you will actually see. Yes, you'll have to pay out of pocket for an independent tour - and with ten hours you could take more than one, e.g. a nice long daytime bike tour for the afternoon, then dinner in town, then an evening ghost tour on foot.

Personally I'd suggest ignoring the $50 excursion voucher, and if you don't want to hire a guide to take you on a bike or walk this is what I'd suggest instead: drop ~USD$10 on access to Fisguard Lighthouse/Fort Rodd ($3pp for both), Hatley's gardens ($5), and a day pass on the buses ($5). Start off with a walk into the Inner Harbour area - but not along the shorter but less scenic way NCL suggests, instead follow the waterfront around (45mins leisurely pace) past Fisherman's Wharf. When you get to the Inner Harbour, take a free tour of Parliament, then head over to Hatley & Fisguard on the bus - walk all the way back if you like (~3 hours), but busing there will ensure you arrive in time to get into these ticketed attractions before they close. Stop off at Esquimault park on the way back if you want to see the other garden I mentioned above, and on returning downtown wander through Chinatown (very small), around the Governors House (pretty, and nice gardens), and finish up with Beacon Hill Park as it's getting toward sunset. Instead of a paying a guide, buy a good guidebook - $20 or less should cover an up-to-date copy of Rough Guide or Lonely Planet that will give you great info on history.

If you want to spend more $ on museums etc. fantastic - the Royal BC is a great museum that you can easily kill 3 hours in even without watching their IMAX movies. Just make sure you check opening hours on your date, as by far the biggest problem for cruisers to Victoria is that it's the fogey-est city in Canada - the sidewalks get rolled up reeeeeeeeal early, virtually nothing that needs a ticket will let you in after 5pm unless it's a Fri/Sat in summer when the Royal BC does stay open later. Given you have a long stop that starts at noon, make use of that first 5 hours to get inside ticketed places - unless the NCL walk starts after 5pm that's another huge logistical strike against it, as there's nothing on the route that can't be seen whenever.

BTW, I've been where you are but worse - we actually gave up $150 of 'free' NCL vouchers because we were unwilling to compromise the quality of our vacation time by going on something 'meh' that it covered rather than paying for something better ourselves. If you have no better alternatives, sure there's no harm in going on this excursion as 'anything is better than nothing' - if it's not good you can just walk away at any point and you're no worse off. But you have been pointed to a lot of alternatives that do address the requirements you've listed, by several folks on the thread. Many times the best answers you get here come from people answering a question that you didn't actually ask 😉

• Like 3

Dude. Really.   Seems you really want me to do something else.    
I’m asking on one specific item and your giving your views.

I didn’t mention my time in BC because it’s irrelevant.   

It’s not about the money.  It’s what I want to do.   
it’s been posted for 23 hrs since I’ve posted this. .    

My trips not till May.   But thanks again for bumping my post up I appreciate it.   

Edited by Ptroxx

35 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

It’s not about the money.  It’s what I want to do.  

I think that if you want to do the walking tour (which it really seems you do!) then you should just go for it and book it! 🙂

If you have 10 hours in Victoria and the tour takes 2 hours, that still gives you tons of time to grab food (I really think you would like Fisherman's Wharf!) and even have time to see one of the museums or even go for High Tea as well!

4 minutes ago, Aladora said:

I think that if you want to do the walking tour (which it really seems you do!) then you should just go for it and book it! 🙂

If you have 10 hours in Victoria and the tour takes 2 hours, that still gives you tons of time to grab food (I really think you would like Fisherman's Wharf!) and even have time to see one of the museums or even go for High Tea as well!

That’s my exact plan.    But I just asked if anyone has taken the tour.   So I can see how it is.   Either way I’m going.   just asking how it was.   
I already have my other plans planned out.  

I didnt mean to sound harsh
Just asking a simple question if anyone has take the tour.  
but I guess it wasn’t so simple. Lolol. 
I needed any other suggestions I would have asked.  

im really excited to walk around the wharf and the beautiful city.  
When I was there in August we just walked by a lot of things and didn’t get a chance to check it all out. And missed getting my shot glass cause we closed down the Gardens.   

But if I do get bored with the tour I’ll be leaving the group and headed about my way to my other plans.  I have nothing but time. In no hurry.  
Like I said. I’m just trying to get some steps in and enjoy the area.  
I don’t need to spend a ton on things I really don’t want to do.  
I’m sure I’ll be back and need to save some things for when I’m not traveling solo.  

34 minutes ago, simonaitch said:

Head upto the Churchill, they've got 51 local draft beers available. Walk there, taxi back. Sorted.

And yet another useless post. Lolol. Don’t drink.  And have my day planned already.   But thanks for bumping my post.  

Just now, simonaitch said:

LOL. How come you need a shot glass ?

Cause I collect them From my travels.   

I still may have a shot Of tequila from time to time.  Last shot was 2 months ago on the Harmony of the sea.  
but never drank beer.    

88C7183C-C8D6-4BA3-86AB-0C83173EE4AF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, Aladora said:

Tours:

Walking and Ghost tours

Bike tours

Museums and the like:

Roysl BC Museum

Maritime Museum of BC

Craigadarroch Castle

Food:

Tea at the Empress Hotel

Question.   I would have messaged you but says I can’t.
Do you think I can make it back to the ship if I did one of the ghost tours by 915 or so ???    We leave at 10.   I really like the Parliament Buildings & Pendray Inn Tour

but it’s from 730 to 9.   And I don’t wanna be a runner Lolol.  

also I want to visit the Dino tour.  but that closes at 5.  
So my thought was to the walking tour. Then go to the Dino and spend a few hours. Then get a quick bite to eat close to the ghost tour area.  Then the ghost tour.   Then hall ass back to the ship.  
it says about a 20 minute or so to walk.  

lol thought I had it all planned until I read about the ghost tours. Lol

Edited by Ptroxx

I've been thinking the same thing. My cruise itinerary shows us in Victoria from 7pm until midnight. And if we need to be back on the ship at 10pm...just not a lot of time to strike out on my own and explore. if I apply my excursion credit, the walking tour won't cost me anything. Might be the best plan. Wish we were there longer.

On 2/27/2020 at 1:48 PM, Ptroxx said:

Apologies for the lack of mind-reading - I can only respond to what you actually write... which from your first question certainly seemed like you were looking for any suggestions as well as feedback on the walk.

23 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

and then what do I do for the next 9.5 hours when done?

And again, I gave you a whole bunch of stuff you could do in response to this, at zero or minimal cost.

20 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Dude. Really.   Seems you really want me to do something else.    
I’m asking on one specific item and your giving your views.

I didn’t mention my time in BC because it’s irrelevant.  

How much time you have in port, and what the actual hours on the clock are, is extremely relevant even for your first question directly about the specific NCL tour - if it was all in darkness for example, which can actually be the case for folks on a late-season PVSA-compliance 4 hour visit, then what little you did see on that walk would be further compromised.

But even if you don't care about my assessment of the actual tour you're talking about, there's an awful lot of stuff that you could still do as well as the NCL walk - even if it stops you hitting as many ticketed sites. Ignoring that seems like 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' - but hey it's your time, your voucher, your decision, so I'll stop wasting your time by trying to help you have a better trip.

Enjoy another free bump, and I truly do hope that someone who has taken the tour responds - and for your sake I hope they liked it!

Edited by martincath
spelling
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Question.   I would have messaged you but says I can’t.
Do you think I can make it back to the ship if I did one of the ghost tours by 915 or so ???    We leave at 10.   I really like the Parliament Buildings & Pendray Inn Tour

but it’s from 730 to 9.   And I don’t wanna be a runner Lolol.  

also I want to visit the Dino tour.  but that closes at 5.  
So my thought was to the walking tour. Then go to the Dino and spend a few hours. Then get a quick bite to eat close to the ghost tour area.  Then the ghost tour.   Then hall ass back to the ship.  
it says about a 20 minute or so to walk.  

lol thought I had it all planned until I read about the ghost tours. Lol

Does the ship leave at 10 or is that the time you need to be back by? The tour ends near Gatsby Manor which is a bit closer to the Ogden Point Cruise Ship Terminal, Google Maps has it at a 16 minute walk. I assume you are going to be here on a Monday, if not you might want to check out which tour is offered on the night you are here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aladora said:

Does the ship leave at 10 or is that the time you need to be back by? The tour ends near Gatsby Manor which is a bit closer to the Ogden Point Cruise Ship Terminal, Google Maps has it at a 16 minute walk. I assume you are going to be here on a Monday, if not you might want to check out which tour is offered on the night you are here.

No it’s a Saturday.   And  yes leaves at 10. Tour is from 730-9.  On a Friday.  
But having issues buying a ticket as it doesn’t have a spot for US states in the address portion.  So I’m going to call Monday.  
yeah I checked the google walk time and like you said it’s a short walk. Or I could grab a cab if I need to be back faster.    

11 hours ago, martincath said:

Apologies for the lack of mind-reading - I can only respond to what you actually write... which from your first question certainly seemed like you were looking for any suggestions as well as feedback on the walk.

I was looking for any food suggestions that would be appreciated.  Nothing more. 

And again, I gave you a whole bunch of stuff you could do in response to this, at zero or minimal cost.

Post 6 says I was in port till 10pm. Before you started to post on here.  So it seems you like to post instead of reading.   

How much time you have in port, and what the actual hours on the clock are, is extremely relevant even for your first question directly about the specific NCL tour - if it was all in darkness for example, which can actually be the case for folks on a late-season PVSA-compliance 4 hour visit, then what little you did see on that walk would be further compromised.

How can you give an assessment if you have taken it b4.  Geez. 
land yes it’s my time and I already have plans for the rest of my day.   

But even if you don't care about my assessment of the actual tour you're talking about, there's an awful lot of stuff that you could still do as well as the NCL walk - even if it stops you hitting as many ticketed sites. Ignoring that seems like 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' - but hey it's your time, your voucher, your decision, so I'll stop wasting your time by trying to help you have a better trip.

thanks again for the useless post and free bump. 

Enjoy another free bump, and I truly do hope that someone who has taken the tour responds - and for your sake I hope they liked it!

Dont worry about me I’ll be just fine  

Oh geez. Lol