Must See at Messina, Sicily stop?

carolekv

Will be first time in Sicily with my grown son in August - one day off the Infinity, docking in Messina.  What are the 'must see' places?  I'm trying to select an excursion, but frankly I often just stay put in the port area itself if I've never been there before.  Depends on if the port itself is a worthwhile venue or just a stopping point.  Need recommendations for this one as I have no idea. 

I think the most common (and most popular?) excursion is to go to Taormina, which is a quaint hilltop town full of shops, cafes, views of the Mediterranean, and a Greek amphitheater.  It's a great place to spend 1/2 a day or so.  You can sometimes combine a trip up Mt. Etna or some other location as part of the excursion.  I've been to Taormina 2 or 3 times and find it enjoyable.  In Messina itself, you can walk around the central part of the city since your dock is right down town.  There are a few notable sights to see, but probably not enough to keep you busy for an all-day port stop.  If you do 1/2 day in Taormina, you can still do 1/2 in Messina walking around.

• Like 1

I would second Taormina, although it can get packed in the peak season with tourists it is still a charming town.

It's not a long way from Messina and the drive itself is pleasant. It can be done via taxi instead of on a tour, although tours usually include a bit of a walking tour through the town as well as entrance to the Greek/Roman theater (not amphitheater).

• Like 1

There isn't a gread deal to see or do in Messina itself, but if you do decide to stay in town, do not miss the Bell Tower and Astronomical Clock which sound and move at 12 noon. It lasts around 10 minutes and is impressive, especially when the lion roars.  Only a couple of minutes walk from the dock.

Info online and check Tripadvisor Messina for info on sights etc.

Another recommendation  for Taourmina- grab a cab from the port to the railway station and get the train. Easy to check times on line and then likewise when there grab a taxi as steep hill up to the town. Lovely gardens to visit too. When we were there just before Trump visited for G8 so we had the benefit of watching every type of Italian military parade around too and the town was spruced up beyond belief!