Just back from Emerald Princess in FP & thanks to..

debsjc

Just got back home today, after 28 days on the Emerald Princess. French Polynesia was the highlight of the trip for us. Firstly I want to thank Tahitianbigkahuna and Petoonya for all their advice when I was doing my planning. Also, if I can help anyone else with information, please let me know.

Our itinerary changed once we were aboard, Samoa and American Samoa were cancelled, but we did get an extra day in Tahiti so we changed our plans to add in an overnight in Moorea. This is how we spent our 5 days ...

Bora Bora (2 days)- Did an amazing half day snorkeling tour in the morning (even though my mum does not snorkel at all) They dropped us off at the Sofitel Private Island, when we had a wonderful night in an overwater bungalow. Returned to the ship the next afternoon via the resorts free shuttle boat to the main island then a taxi to the tender point.

Tahiti day 1 - Rented a car with Avis, although we had a huge problem with their shuttle to the office (next time I would just walk it, and then go and collect my mum back at that pier) 

Tahiti day 2 / Moorea - Took the 8.10am ferry to Moorea with an overnight bag. Collected a car from Avis and explored beautiful Moorea for the day on our way to The Intercontinental. Dropped the car back to Avis there at the hotel, and treated ourselves to a Beach Bungalow for the night. The next afternoon we took a taxi back from the hotel to the tender point the next day (only 5 mins away) to re-join the ship.

This worked really well, because we were seeing Moorea a day before most of the other passengers arrived. 

& 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 8:33 AM, debsjc said:

Just got back home today, after 28 days on the Emerald Princess. French Polynesia was the highlight of the trip for us. Firstly I want to thank Tahitianbigkahuna and Petoonya for all their advice when I was doing my planning. Also, if I can help anyone else with information, please let me know.

Our itinerary changed once we were aboard, Samoa and American Samoa were cancelled, but we did get an extra day in Tahiti so we changed our plans to add in an overnight in Moorea. This is how we spent our 5 days ...

Bora Bora (2 days)- Did an amazing half day snorkeling tour in the morning (even though my mum does not snorkel at all) They dropped us off at the Sofitel Private Island, when we had a wonderful night in an overwater bungalow. Returned to the ship the next afternoon via the resorts free shuttle boat to the main island then a taxi to the tender point.

Tahiti day 1 - Rented a car with Avis, although we had a huge problem with their shuttle to the office (next time I would just walk it, and then go and collect my mum back at that pier) 

Tahiti day 2 / Moorea - Took the 8.10am ferry to Moorea with an overnight bag. Collected a car from Avis and explored beautiful Moorea for the day on our way to The Intercontinental. Dropped the car back to Avis there at the hotel, and treated ourselves to a Beach Bungalow for the night. The next afternoon we took a taxi back from the hotel to the tender point the next day (only 5 mins away) to re-join the ship.

This worked really well, because we were seeing Moorea a day before most of the other passengers arrived. 

& 

Thanks for your wonderful review Deb!

Glad you had such an awesome time.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention ... on the snorkeling tour shark stop, 1 large lemon shark came up near the surface, right underneath us (just after the guide had got out, and other people were starting to get back on the boat). I have to admit I was a little nervous! 

Also, whilst I was snorkeling in Moorea, a trigger fish got a firm hold of my aqua shoe, in his teeth! Thank goodness it wasn't my bare toe. 

Edited by debsjc

On 3/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, debsjc said:

I forgot to mention ... on the snorkeling tour shark stop, 1 large lemon shark came up near the surface, right underneath us (just after the guide had got out, and other people were starting to get back on the boat). I have to admit I was a little nervous! 

Also, whilst I was snorkeling in Moorea, a trigger fish got a firm hold of my aqua shoe, in his teeth! Thank goodness it wasn't my bare toe. 

The lemon sharks are beautiful aren't they? Big and magnificent. I'm a shark nut and as soon as I saw those big lemon sharks in Bora Bora I jumped out of the boat- my husband still laughs at the guide's annoyance with me.

On our Tahiti-Hawaii-SF cruise next month we're traveling out on  boat to snorkel with what they say are 10-15 foot sharks. I'll report back if it's really so or just refraction 🙂

Now that's a good story- a trigger fish on your aqua shoe!

What other ports did Princess add on in Hawaii?

Edited by Petoonya

I preferred the lemon sharks when they were 20 feet below me, I wasn't less keen on the one on a level with my feet!  Hope you have an amazing time on your next trip, I'm sure you will. 

They added in Kona and Hilo in Hawaii. I snorkeled briefly in both, and saw a couple of turtles near Hilo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 11:33 AM, debsjc said:

& 

Hi debsjc,

Thank you for sharing about your Tahitian cruise! I wonder if you would consider sharing greater details about your experiences on board and your excursions, other experiences?

Recent reviews from fellow cruisers are among the most trusted sources of information that our members rely upon and in the current environment, your experience would be particularly interesting/helpful to our members.

If you feel inspired, we'd be grateful to you for sharing a review of your recent cruise experience in Tahiti. You can start writing your cruise review right here

We hope you and yours, and everyone in our cruise critic community are safe and well. Do the 20 second hand wash and do it often 😉 🙌