Tipping

shyla100

3 hours ago, westmount said:

I think the staff appreciates the $20s, doesn’t make a lot of money, and the passengers can give or not give if they desire. 

Sir, you have no clue what the staff is paid.  

Excellent post by David.   It wasn't enough to wreak havoc upon French Polynesia during the 18th century.   Late 20th century  tipping introduced to Tahiti that would spread throughout the islands.  What the French could not destroy with their nuclear testing, the Americans will with tipping.

9 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

On the Cruise Critic boards for other cruise lines with similar tipping policies, tipping is also a perennial topic.   On those boards, the discussion almost always immediately descends into a bunch of rabid name-calling. Good on you folks on this board for keeping the discussion reasonably civilised.

A small anecdote about tipping and different cultures that is not directly relevant but perhaps amusing.  Some years ago I was on a small out-island in French Polynesia (Manihi) staying at a lovely resort.  Being me, on the first night I went to the bar for a refreshing beverage and, being a North American, I left a tip for the bartender.  The next night I went back seeking another refreshment, and the bartender was really angry with me.  I had to sweet talk her to get a beer!  Finally I got her to admit that she was insulted that I had left a tip; this violated the norms of her culture.  The only way I could make it up to her was to allow her to buy me and my wife a drink after she got off her shift. Then all was well for the rest of my stay.

This cultural norm is not really true any more in the big city (Papeete) but echoes of it persist in the rest for French Polynesia.

David, the post just became less "reasonably civilised ". Whoa, nuclear testing now? Let's stay on topic - tipping, wasn't it?