Say "so long" to the Caribbean

Danno

With RCI announcing a 220,000 ton build and all the other mega ships cruising the Caribbean...the days of enjoying the local atmosphere in ANY Caribbean port are numbered. Once these monsters tie up at the pier the number of pax unleashed on these small nations will destroy any attraction these islands once held...

"Save the Waves" my a$$...It should read "Save the Waves, Destroy the Islands"

RCI doesn't give a damn about anything above the bottom line...which I understand...just don't claim that you ever did.

The poor locals.....:(

I think the ship might be more of a entertainment environment in itself. I think more people already stay on board Voyager Class when the ships are in port, and it makes for a more captive customer base (revenue generation.) Also, there are times when 2 or 3 RCL ships are in the same port, with about that many passengers. Lastly, I think we would see more private islands (again more revenues.)

I believe that there is a small ship customer and a large ship customer, and both can coexist expanding the RCL customer base.

With RCI announcing a 220,000 ton build and all the other mega ships cruising the Caribbean...the days of enjoying the local atmosphere in ANY Caribbean port are numbered. Once these monsters tie up at the pier the number of pax unleashed on these small nations will destroy any attraction these islands once held...

RCI doesn't give a damn about anything above the bottom line...which I understand...just don't claim that you ever did.

Hi Dan !

I totally understand that you are upset, and I feel your pain... but the reality is, that Cruise ships are going to get bigger and bigger. If RCI didnt do this first, Carnival is right around the corner with a ship of this size. We may not like it, but, to the cruise lines, its all about the money. Remember, these are public companies, and they have shareholders to report to.

The poor locals ? I would think most of them are dancing in the streets. Most of the shop owners arent genuine locals anyway. They are there to make a buck. I am sure they would want every tourist that can be fit on the island each day.

Besides, before we write off most of the Caribbean.... I have a funny feeling that (for now) a ship of this size may be doing more sea days and private islands. Unless of course, some of the islands come up with some very ambitious dock plans.

No question though, this is yet another significant day for the Cruise industry.

Well..they had better start adding more flights to Florida!!! RCL still has empty space on spring vacation weeks. Too bad, customers can't get to the ships!

Florida residents can only sail so many times! Good grief.

Doom and Gloom, sounds to me like the same rhetoric that was going around when Celebrity M class and Princess Grand class were introduced.

Come on folks, no one will force you to sail on these mega ships, but plenty of people will and who knows they might even have a good time, and those who are now saying, no way, might very well change their minds when all of the facts about these ships are in

Phil

its true this one heckuva a big ship. well an island of its own actually! we would rather see them build smaller ships and offer more venues via ports that are more accessable to more people. we love sailing out of texas because we can drive to the port. florida is not totally out of reach for us, but it adds an additional $500+ to our travel cost.

i can see though, that with a ship that large more planning into port stops will be needed. possibly they are thinking fewer ports and more sea days, who knows. until then we shall continue to sail the smaller ships, who knows though, one of these days we may find ourselves walking up the gangplank of one of these mega-ships.

Doom and Gloom, sounds to me like the same rhetoric that was going around when Celebrity M class and Princess Grand class were introduced.

Come on folks, no one will force you to sail on these mega ships, but plenty of people will and who knows they might even have a good time, and those who are now saying, no way, might very well change their minds when all of the facts about these ships are in

Phil

The big ships are going to push the smaller ships out, especially our beloved little Zenith, whose days seem to be numbered anyway. I have no desire to sail on the mega ships that are out there even now. I certainly don't want to sail on a mega-monster!

It looks like a lot of little Zenith's hanging from the side ;) Actually, they do have some smaller ships coming (there was a thread with ships now in production not long ago.) As for ships the size of Zenith, you are probably right for most of the existing routes, but on routes that can demand a premium (higher fares) I believe we will see a new small class of ship some day.

Phil

Phil. It look like Danno is in a down mood these days.

You have stated it exactly.

What I'm waiting for is the full service ship.

So that when you die they will either cremate you and you will be housed in a small box in a cabin or for the real big bucks they will crypt you on the ship. ;)

Then you could truly say "Life's a Cruise. And I never got off."

Stay well...

Phil. It look like Danno is in a down mood these daysl...

Not in the least...I sail in 10 days :D . But no matter what mood I'm in, this will not be good for the islands...5400 people descending on an island while there is already 5 other ships in the harbour...OMG!!!

If you love, crowds, confusion, congestion, noise...book this ship early!!

This is crazy. I agree the ships will just keep getting bigger, Carnival has one on the drawing board as well, but what happened to good things come in small packages? I can't imagine the crowds when 5000 people pile onto these small islands, I can't imagine trying to find your way around these ships and I can't imagine embarkation or debarkation. RCI doesn't run that too smoothly even now. I think we may start cutting down the number of cruises and consentrate on the quality of them. Maybe it is time to look at the higher range catagories even if it means only 1 cruise every 15 or 18 months rather than 2 a year. NMNita

The big ships are going to push the smaller ships out, especially our beloved little Zenith, whose days seem to be numbered anyway. I have no desire to sail on the mega ships that are out there even now. I certainly don't want to sail on a mega-monster!

Sorry about the Zenith, but I have no feeling one way or the other about those smaller ships, reason, NO BALCONIES:D

Phil

I agree that it will be impossible for the Carribean Islands to accomoodate a ship of this magnitude in an orderly fashion, but I have a feeling that this ship is going to be used as a floating all inclusive resort for people who like to party and make very few port stops.

This is crazy. I agree the ships will just keep getting bigger, Carnival has one on the drawing board as well, but what happened to good things come in small packages? I can't imagine the crowds when 5000 people pile onto these small islands, I can't imagine trying to find your way around these ships and I can't imagine embarkation or debarkation. RCI doesn't run that too smoothly even now. I think we may start cutting down the number of cruises and consentrate on the quality of them. Maybe it is time to look at the higher range catagories even if it means only 1 cruise every 15 or 18 months rather than 2 a year. NMNita

Hi NewmexicoNita :)

I was thinking the same thing. It appears that the upscale but affordable option, that most of us enjoy, is being phased out, and soon there will be just luxury and truly mass market cruises.

Not in the least...I sail in 10 days :D . But no matter what mood I'm in, this will not be good for the islands...5400 people descending on an island while there is already 5 other ships in the harbour...OMG!!!

If you love, crowds, confusion, congestion, noise...book this ship early!!

Danno: It seems like most every topic you have posted in the past few months has a slightly down theme to it.

Yes. We all agree that 5400 at a clip is a bit to manage. But the ships are designed for it and the ports will take them so they have the Cash registers ringing at a faster rate.

Havensight will be a three tier mid ocean mall soon.

Diver Down!!!!!!!! ;)

Relax it's not our problem.

Why does everyone assume this ship will sail in the Caribbean. I think it will be considered an all-inclusive resort and will sail from New York for 7 day cruises to nowhere. 5000 people will get on in new York and return a week later, overweight, drunk and broke from having spent all their money on the ship.

Well..they had better start adding more flights to Florida!!! RCL still has empty space on spring vacation weeks. Too bad, customers can't get to the ships!.

ugggghhh, who would want to cruise on a spring break week anyways? I don't know which would be worse for a FL resident , staying home and fighting spring breakers, or going on a cruise and fighting spring breakers. I guess they could do like my inlaws for Race week and Bike week Daytona, they don't leave the house, just hunker down like for a hurricane.

Garrick

Why does everyone assume this ship will sail in the Caribbean. I think it will be considered an all-inclusive resort and will sail from New York for 7 day cruises to nowhere. 5000 people will get on in new York and return a week later, overweight, drunk and broke from having spent all their money on the ship.

Hi Jerry !

On the local news here in South Florida, they did say she would sail out of Miami. I cannot say for certain if that is a done deal. I do think the odds are about 90% she will sail from Miami.

HEY DANNO!!!

Let's face it...we stopped getting off on the islands years ago...lol. Now we just sit back and watch all the touristas tender in by the horde heading for $100 tours of the beach...wah wah wah...while we get to enjoy the near empty ship...so much better without all the pax onboard.

Is there any truth to the rumor that CARNIVORE CRUISE LINE is attempting to purchase the island of Nassau??? I hear they want to turn it into some sort of Disney-like theme park. I guess the snag in the negotiations is how they want to move the local population away from the theme park and replace them with Philoppinos. Paradise Island will cost extra but will be no charge for all suite passengers. The hotels will operate on a Modified American Plan and the drink prices will start at $10.00 per. CARNIVORE also has hopes of purchasing one of the largest rum distilleries in the islands so they can take advantage of the cheap rum prices while selling $10.00 drinks to the touristas.

This is only a rumor but I think there might be elements of truth here.

ROSS

Ross

Actually I don't think that's true...I think that the inclusion of this (:( ) and people who otherwise wouldn't read, read.

We had a great thread about Chesters book...where was Mike the great wine steward..."you've cruised too much when" has been fun...and many more.

However I also think this forum should include some cruising issues, and the future of cruising as shaped by the big players, is a valid topic here....you can only talk about the superior service and good food so long.

"I love the St.Francis Merlot 1999 that I first tried on Horizon...I am disappointed they don't have it anymore"...is this negative or positive?? I guess the answer reflects the readers attitude more than my own.

(BTW...I'm delighted to have had the pleasure of enjoying the 1999...so for me it's a positive statement)

Hi Dan !

I totally understand that you are upset, and I feel your pain... but the reality is, that Cruise ships are going to get bigger and bigger. If RCI didnt do this first, Carnival is right around the corner with a ship of this size. We may not like it, but, to the cruise lines, its all about the money. Remember, these are public companies, and they have shareholders to report to.

The poor locals ? I would think most of them are dancing in the streets. Most of the shop owners arent genuine locals anyway. They are there to make a buck. I am sure they would want every tourist that can be fit on the island each day.

Besides, before we write off most of the Caribbean.... I have a funny feeling that (for now) a ship of this size may be doing more sea days and private islands. Unless of course, some of the islands come up with some very ambitious dock plans.

No question though, this is yet another significant day for the Cruise industry.

Hi Andy,,,agree, poor locals!!!they will be lined up at the dock, ten fold, and as for the merchants,,not locals at all, seems like the market for the stores opened up in India, haven't seen a local merchant in a long time...Mega ships not for us either, too many people, not enough deck chairs:cool: ..will stick to M class and Radiance,,,big enough;) ..Ann

I agree with Danno. When does big become to big. We were in St Thomas once, there were five cruise ships in, it was ridiculous, everything was so crowed, it was not pleasant. I believe that I was on the Explorer at the time which was the biggest ship in port. Enough is enough. Its just to big.

Archived