New to MSC, Please Forgive Me

Bgwest

On 3/5/2020 at 10:47 PM, Bgwest said:

Hello All, first MSC post. 

Wife and I are both Elite on Princess but have never sailed MSC. Looking to change that. The whole idea of status matching got my attention. 

We’re looking at putting on our “MSC training wheels” for a Caribbean cruise next year.  

Have a ton of very basic MSC questions if you’ll permit me. (Before asking, I did read all 217 posts in skier52’s excellent sticky “Updated: all the info....”)

The only parameters we’ve nailed down are these:

• Seaside or Divina or Mera (leaning towards Seaside)
  • YC Deluxe Suite  

So, here goes, (BTW, we are in the US, if it matters)

• Are OBCs available that can be “earned” (shareholder, military, etc)?
  • Are OBCs stackable/combinable?
  • Starting this spring WiFi will be included in YC, correct? Is the 4GB per cabin or per pax? If we exceed 4GB, how do we buy more?
  • Are we permitted to bring soft drinks/bottled water on board?
  • Are pax laundry facilities available on board? If so, how much?
  • Is laundry ever an included perk (Diamond/Black or YC)?
  • I typically make cruise reservations through my TA. Is there an advantage to making reservations directly with MSC and perhaps moving to a TA later?
  • Where can I find a cancellation schedule? I’ve looked and have found nothing. 
  • The “status” page talks about a 5% cruise discount for everyone with status.
  • MSC also  offers a 10% discount to various groups (one of which I belong to). Do any of these discounts combine? How does this all work? 
  • Been looking for instructions for using the MSC for Me wristband but can’t find anything. Is this similar to the Princess Medallion?
  • YC Dining Attire - gave up tuxes, suits, jackets and ties many years ago. On other cruise lines I’m always OK with dark pants and a SS Hawaiian shirt  for dinner (I’ll normally wear a LS shirt on formal nights). Will this work on MSC?
  • I see where MSC requires pax to purchase bottled water in the MDRs (no tap water available???). Does this apply to YC? 
  • Does MSC offer airline package add-ons (like EZAir on Princess)?
  • Do any or all of these ships (Seaside, Divina or Mera) have full walkable promenade decks? The deck plans are difficult to interpert. 
  • Is there really a charge for on demand movies in YC cabins?

Bgwest,

We just returned from our first MSC cruise after having exclusively cruising with NCL for the past 7 years. My wife wanted to try MSC and we cruised on the Seaside 2/29/20-3/7/20 in the YC. 

I did the status match several months prior to booking the cruise so that during the booking process I would be entitled to the 5% discount having Diamond status offers. 

Being part of a group that MSC offers a 10% discount to, I thought I could combine the 5% and the 10%, but this was not allowed. I don't know why, as I have read that others have been able to combine, but I wasn't too concerned. 

I booked the cruise with MSC and  then transferred to a TA in order to receive a good amount of OBC.

If you chose this option, you will have to complete an MSC "Travel Agency Transfer Form" which requires you to fill out the info on the TA you are transferring the cruise to and then emailing it to MSC.  If you do it this way, you have to transfer your cruise to your TA within 60 days of booking. 

After final payment was made to the TA,  I was able to log onto the MSC website and pay for excursions, wifi package and laundry service. MSC offers a 15% or 20% discount if you book things in advance of your cruise on their website. 

Upon boarding the Seaside I discovered that Diamond status provides you with a dinner for 2 in one of the specialty restaurants. We selected MSC's steakhouse, Butcher's Cut and it was a good meal. You have to select from a small menu and are allowed (1) Starter, (1) entree, (1) side and (1) desert. You can add anything extra that you want.

A hint if you select Butcher's cut, Order your steak "plain" otherwise it will come out of the kitchen slathered in some form or sauce or gravy, or you may like your steak that way. For us, the meal was equal to if not better than NCL's steakhouse, Cagney's. 

We have previously sailed  in the Haven on NCL (last 6 cruises) and we have loved the attentiveness and exclusivity that the Haven provided, by the YC takes that to another level.

From embarkation through disembarkation, you are taken care of in the YC. 

If you select the Seaside, I can strongly recommend stateroom 16002. It is the most forward stateroom on the starboard side, and your stateroom is literally 20 steps from the TopSail lounge and 75 steps from the Concierge desk.  No noise heard, and the balcony is of good size. 

Although no self service laundry was available, I did purchase a 20 piece laundry package in advance of cruising. I had the items ready for pick up by noon on Wednesday and it was returned by dinner time on Thursday evening. No issues at all.

During our cruise there were a lot of folks who dressed to the 9's for dinner in the YC restaurant nightly. Pants are required for men in all restaurants on the Seaside for dinner. your SS Hawaiian shirts will be fine.  You are allowed to wear shorts and t-shirts to breakfast and lunch in the YC restaurant.  

The concierge desk in the YC on Seaside was open 24/7, and from 8 am until midnight there were (2) on duty and over night there was (1) person. They handled any request ( dinner reservations, room service, requests normally reserved for the guest services desk) promptly and efficiently.

Yes, YC guests have to pay for on-demand movies, and the selection that MSC offers is not really current. $8.00 per movie. On the 2nd sea day they offer 20% off the cost of the on-demand movies for Diamond card guests. 

Diamond status will also entitle you to 40% of some of the photo packages. 

The wristbands were an efficient way of paying for things while onboard, but you still have to have your ship card with you to get on or off the ship. 

I have already begun planning our next MSC cruise, and we will sail YC again on either the Seaside or the Mera. 

Enjoy MSC. We did and would recommend it to anyone seeking out the more exclusive cruising experience. 

Regards, 

Vinegarjoe  

Seaside in Jamaica .jpg

• Like 2

As a HAL 5 Star Mariner, I applied and was accepted as a MSC Voyager's Club Member prior to my booking Meraviglia.  I received the 5% discount on my initial booking and all of the perks of the Diamond Level for the Voyager's Club.  No issues whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Vinegarjoe10 said:

YC guests have to pay for on-demand movies, and the selection that MSC offers is not really current. $8.00 per movie. On the 2nd sea day they offer 20% off the cost of the on-demand movies for Diamond card guests. 

Didn't know about the 2nd sea day discount.  The one movie that I bought was priced at $4.00.  I do think this is "nickel and diming" on MSC's part for whatever "Experience" Level a guest books.

3 hours ago, Vinegarjoe10 said:

Yes!  Particularly at embarkation.  Your comment about the Concierge's service is spot on.  Didn't make many requests, but everything requested or asked about was handled quickly, efficiently, and made me feel that I was an appreciated guest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vinegarjoe10 said:

Bgwest,

We just returned from our first MSC cruise after having exclusively cruising with NCL for the past 7 years. My wife wanted to try MSC and we cruised on the Seaside 2/29/20-3/7/20 in the YC. 

I did the status match several months prior to booking the cruise so that during the booking process I would be entitled to the 5% discount having Diamond status offers. 

Being part of a group that MSC offers a 10% discount to, I thought I could combine the 5% and the 10%, but this was not allowed. I don't know why, as I have read that others have been able to combine, but I wasn't too concerned. 

I booked the cruise with MSC and  then transferred to a TA in order to receive a good amount of OBC.

If you chose this option, you will have to complete an MSC "Travel Agency Transfer Form" which requires you to fill out the info on the TA you are transferring the cruise to and then emailing it to MSC.  If you do it this way, you have to transfer your cruise to your TA within 60 days of booking. 

After final payment was made to the TA,  I was able to log onto the MSC website and pay for excursions, wifi package and laundry service. MSC offers a 15% or 20% discount if you book things in advance of your cruise on their website. 

Upon boarding the Seaside I discovered that Diamond status provides you with a dinner for 2 in one of the specialty restaurants. We selected MSC's steakhouse, Butcher's Cut and it was a good meal. You have to select from a small menu and are allowed (1) Starter, (1) entree, (1) side and (1) desert. You can add anything extra that you want.

A hint if you select Butcher's cut, Order your steak "plain" otherwise it will come out of the kitchen slathered in some form or sauce or gravy, or you may like your steak that way. For us, the meal was equal to if not better than NCL's steakhouse, Cagney's. 

We have previously sailed  in the Haven on NCL (last 6 cruises) and we have loved the attentiveness and exclusivity that the Haven provided, by the YC takes that to another level.

If you select the Seaside, I can strongly recommend stateroom 16002. It is the most forward stateroom on the starboard side, and your stateroom is literally 20 steps from the TopSail lounge and 75 steps from the Concierge desk.  No noise heard, and the balcony is of good size. 

Although no self service laundry was available, I did purchase a 20 piece laundry package in advance of cruising. I had the items ready for pick up by noon on Wednesday and it was returned by dinner time on Thursday evening. No issues at all.

During our cruise there were a lot of folks who dressed to the 9's for dinner in the YC restaurant nightly. Pants are required for men in all restaurants on the Seaside for dinner. your SS Hawaiian shirts will be fine.  You are allowed to wear shorts and t-shirts to breakfast and lunch in the YC restaurant.  

The concierge desk in the YC on Seaside was open 24/7, and from 8 am until midnight there were (2) on duty and over night there was (1) person. They handled any request ( dinner reservations, room service, requests normally reserved for the guest services desk) promptly and efficiently.

Yes, YC guests have to pay for on-demand movies, and the selection that MSC offers is not really current. $8.00 per movie. On the 2nd sea day they offer 20% off the cost of the on-demand movies for Diamond card guests. 

Diamond status will also entitle you to 40% of some of the photo packages. 

The wristbands were an efficient way of paying for things while onboard, but you still have to have your ship card with you to get on or off the ship. 

I have already begun planning our next MSC cruise, and we will sail YC again on either the Seaside or the Mera. 

Enjoy MSC. We did and would recommend it to anyone seeking out the more exclusive cruising experience. 

Regards, 

Vinegarjoe  

Seaside in Jamaica .jpg

Thank you!!