Cruise in 2 weeks - Family pressuring me to cancel due to COVID-19

Kulaid05

3 hours ago, travelhound said:

Wow, this thread has spun out of control. The world has gone crazy. This is not ebola. There are.certain demo groups that should be more concerned but for the vast majority of people, the risk is very low. If every ship was tested for the flu, norovirus, or some other disease you'd probably get 21 out of 2500 on any given ship. 

In 2009 and 2010, over 61 MILLION people got H1N1 in the US. Over 21, 000 died. I don't remember this kind of hysteria. They weren't testing cruisers then but if they had, they probably would have found cases.

Everyone can do what they are comfortable with, but use common sense, facts, and stop the wild speculations. Just my two cents.

Just to clarify, the 21 positives were out of only 46 people tested, all of whom had symptoms.  The rest of the passengers and crew will be tested later, apparently when they dock somewhere.

18 hours ago, Kulaid05 said:

With all the news about the COVID-19 virus, my ex- and his family family is pressuring me to cancel our Princess Cruise in 2 weeks.  I am going with my Mother and my 15yr old daughter.  I have been on 5 cruises and my mother has been on 10 - MOST 10-14 day cruises.  I have never been sick and my mom has only been sick when she returned - Never on the cruise.  I do not want to cancel.  My family - including my EX-mother in law is calling to see if we are going to cancel.  My ex-husband doesn't think its a good idea.  I just don't know what to do.  We are going to the Caribbean and I have been planning this for over a year.   - Thanks BAK

Cancel. Princess is making it very easy to do it now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Well said but a real pain would be being quarantined in your cabin for 2 weeks.

Could you just imagine being confined in an inside cabin for a week. 🤪

10 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I'm a bit confused by your post.  Did the 2 deaths have any relation to being on recent cruises?

I don;t know they have not said yet that I know of but I would not care the point is people are dying from this virus. Will update if any new info is said to us. Sorry couldn;t be more specific

Kathy

14 hours ago, travelhound said:

Wow, this thread has spun out of control. The world has gone crazy. This is not ebola. There are.certain demo groups that should be more concerned but for the vast majority of people, the risk is very low. If every ship was tested for the flu, norovirus, or some other disease you'd probably get 21 out of 2500 on any given ship. 

In 2009 and 2010, over 61 MILLION people got H1N1 in the US. Over 21, 000 died. I don't remember this kind of hysteria. They weren't testing cruisers then but if they had, they probably would have found cases.

Everyone can do what they are comfortable with, but use common sense, facts, and stop the wild speculations. Just my two cents.

There wasn't this kind of hysteria because they weren't quarantining the ships.

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Could you just imagine being confined in an inside cabin for a week. 🤪

I love an inside cabin, but no, I definitely would not want to be confined to one for a week, with no opportunity to leave it.   On the other hand, I would feel the same if I could not leave an outside cabin.  At least those in a balcony cabin can sit out in the sun if they want to.

We each have to evaluate our own situation re: travel.  One of the main concerns regarding the coronavirus is the spread of it to those who are older, have weakened immune systems or more susceptible to it because of underlying medical conditions.  With symptoms not appearing till 2-14 days after exposure, it is a concern.  

We have a cruise aboard the Sky Princess later this year.  We will be monitoring the situation and in the end will decide what we will do.  One hopes for the best … but you have to plan for the worst, as one always assumes that it won't happen to them … until it does.  

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.