We Cancelled our Meraviglia trip - OBC, Tours, Gratuities Refund?

holmes96

Hi, unfortunately due to an emergency medical event with our son last week we were unable to board the Meraviglia on Sunday, 3/1.  Fortunately, he is doing better now and we had purchased travel insurance.  I submitted the trip cancellation claim through the insurance last week and hopefully that will be processed successfully.

I called MSC today to check on the status of our 'prepaids' refund, such as onboard credit (that we bought ourselves), gratuities, internet, tours in each port, and was told that insurance is responsible for that.  I don't think that is true and wanted to check in this forum if others had experience with getting refunds for their prepaid items directly from MSC.  Ultimately, at the end of today's call, I was told I would have to call back tomorrow and talk to 'Customer Service' to see whether a refund is possible.

What has been your experience and do you have any suggestions?  Thanks so much.

35 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

If you didn't go on the cruise I don't understand why MSC would charge for gratuities since you didn't receive service. This worries me.

Are you cruising from a country where gratuities are built into the price of the cruise?

Hi, we are from the U.S. so I had called prior to the cruise and pre-paid the gratuities, internet, etc.  The gratuities were not part of the original fare.  It seems odd to me that we're having an issue getting our pre-paid items refunded.

7 minutes ago, holmes96 said:

Hi, we are from the U.S. so I had called prior to the cruise and pre-paid the gratuities, internet, etc.  The gratuities were not part of the original fare.  It seems odd to me that we're having an issue getting our pre-paid items refunded.

I'm glad you posted this. I always prepay gratuities & pay for internet before boarding but I might need to change this with MSC.

I hope you get your money back.