Food for Vegans in the Steakhouse

Jthomasou

My wife and I have been on 10ish Carnival cruises and have eaten in the Steakhouse on nearly every cruise.  

In the last year, my wife has adopted a vegan lifestyle.  It works for her.  

Anyone ever navigated going to the steakhouse with a vegan.  On menu there doesn’t seem to be a ton of options.  

Hmmm, I don’t have personal experience, but as was mentioned, most dishes would at least have butter (grilled veggies, mashed potatoes, etc). 

I’m sure they could accommodate with something like steamed veggies and rice, but it wouldn’t be worth the cost to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bjd2 said:

My daughter has MS and has been doing a whole food plant based diet for years to help prevent her myelin from being attacked. I don't consider it a fad diet, and she gets all of her nutrients just fine.

well medical diet is different , not a fad for her.  but unless supplementing she isnt getting b12 thats found in animal fats and meat including fish 

Edited by seaman11

24 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

well medical diet is different , not a fad for her.  but unless supplementing she isnt getting b12 thats found in animal fats and meat including fish 

B12 is one of the only things she supplements. Just don't assume everyone looking for a vegan option is by choice that is difficult to make.

• Like 2

I think I will talk her into butter for the sake of the experience.  

She’s making a choice in how she lives her life.  She takes some supplements to help with B12 and iron.  I love and support who she is and who she chooses to be always.

She doesn’t care that I will be eating a juicy delicious steak across the table from her.  

1 minute ago, Jthomasou said:

She’s making a choice in how she lives her life.  She takes some supplements to help with B12 and iron.  I love and support who she is and who she chooses to be always.

She doesn’t care that I will be eating a juicy delicious steak across the table from her.  

its a trendy fad for many of these girls today(unless medically like the persons daughter above). we are made with canine teeth for a reason . enjoy your steak,

First, the steakhouse chefs will be happy to accommodate your wife with something to eat. However, please give them a few days notice before your reservation. They have a kitchen full of delicious, fresh food and will certainly make her something wonderful.

Second, I'm appalled that strangers on the internet would comment on your wife's choice to eat what she wants to eat. How about we all let people live the life they want without negative commentary?!?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beav1279 said:

Second, I'm appalled that strangers on the internet would comment on your wife's choice to eat what she wants to eat. How about we all let people live the life they want without negative commentary?!?

I agree! But I knew someone would come along...

Im not vegan but I have two healthy vegan sons who are doing it for health, the environment and ethical reasons ( and yes I do nag them to use supplements)

To answer the question.. I think you'd have to ask in advance but I would imagine nothing on the menu is vegan as it is now. If she would compromise with vegetarian for a night it would probably be easier.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jthomasou said:

My wife and I are pescatarian. At one time we were vegan and I think while we cruised we did more vegetarian. Less about difficulty of food and more about experiences. Granted, we've cruised many times eating anything and everything on board, we don't go hungry. In the steak house though, I don't know. I'd love to do the Chefs Table, but, I don't know that I could. I have some allergies and it's just not worth the trade off to me.